Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Report Date : August 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V375000

Vehicle Make / Model: BUICK / ENCLAVE 2009-2010, CHEVROLET / TRAVERSE 2009-2010, GMC / ACADIA 2009-2010, SATURN / OUTLOOK 2009-2010

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: AUG 12, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V375000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: SEAT BELTS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 207210

Summary: GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE, BUICK ENCLAVE, GMC ACADIA, AND SATURN OUTLOOK VEHICLES. THE SECOND ROW SEAT SIDE TRIM SHIELD RESTRICTS THE UPWARD ROTATION OF THE SAFETY BELT BUCKLE WHEN THE SEAT BACK IS RETURNED TO A SEATING POSITION AFTER BEING FOLDED FLAT. IF THE BUCKLE CONTACTS THE SEAT FRAME, ADDITIONAL EFFORT IS REQUIRED TO RETURN THE SEAT TO A SEATING POSITION. IF SUFFICIENT FORCE IS APPLIED, THE BUCKLE COVER COULD BE PUSHED DOWN THE STRAP, EXPOSING AND PARTIALLY DEPRESSING THE RED RELEASE BUTTON.

Consequence: THE SAFETY BELT MAY NOT RESTRAIN THE OCCUPANT AS INTENDED DURING A CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY TO THE SEAT OCCUPANT.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE SECOND ROW SEAT SIDE TRIM SHIELDS. IF A SAFETY BELT BUCKLE IS DAMAGED, DEALERS WILL REPLACE IT FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 31, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463, AND SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876, OR AT THE OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.

Notes: GM'S RECALL NO. N100243. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Looks like some of use have to visit the dealerships soon,,

DETROIT/WASHINGTON — General Motors Co. will recall more than 243,000 model year 2009/2010 crossover sport utilities, mainly in the United States, to inspect safety belts for possible damage, the automaker said on Tuesday.

The automaker and regulators said most of the Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn Outlook vehicles were shipped within the United States.

Several thousands others were exported to Canada, Mexico, China, Saudi Arabia and other countries.

GM said potential damage to the second-row safety belts could make it appear as if the latch were properly secured when it was not.

The problem was discovered during warranty returns, and any damage was cosmetic in the vast majority of cases, GM said in documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

There are no known cases of belts failing in a crash, GM said.

GM said it would begin notifying owners by letter this month to make appointments with dealership service departments for repairs.
© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/technology/recall+more+than+SUVs+seatbelt+concerns/3408246/story.html#ixzz0wsNfOgal

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Ill inspect mine later... to see
But I have seen no odd operation..

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I think the outside cover is just getting ripped on some and then could prevent the release button from going back to the lock position fully.

It's more of a concern than an actual issue but nice they are fixing it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It seems as thought this really isn't an issue for most Lambda owners, but just could be a problem down the road. I agree that I'm glad this is being taken car of.

What I don't like is my brother in law calling up my wife, telling her that there is a seatbelt recall on our Traverse, and basically making it sound as if we didn't purchase a good vehicle. He should maybe read a little more into this recall, and see WHY the part is being recalled. I mean it's not like the gas peddal is getting stuck or anything. :happy:

I don't think our middle captains chairs have ever been folded flat. Guess that takes my concern away for the time being. ;D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Get the recall performed after Sept 1st, then get a new brother in law. :happy:

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll check on mine and report back. My seats have been folded flat 50 times, had stuff stacked on them, been moved back and forth, and carried myriad customers and, much more importantly, grandchildren.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
it states the outer trim...
but the seat belt buckles-- are on the inner part of the seats...
I was thinking the buckles were on the outside by the trim that one can see...

Now im thinking--- maybe this is on BUCKET seat equipped lambdas??? since they have trim in the inner seat area...

Also-- just saw the news---
Coming up... GM is recalling xxxxx Crossover vehicles.....
and Major news-- if you own a GM!!!!....

they sure made it sound like its really bad... im actually a little ticked...
I know Honda recalled cars the other day--- and the only reason I heard about it-- is I read about it online-
Toyota also had another recall the other day--- didnt hear about that on the news either.

So im a little ticked ...

this was just 7 days ago...
Honda recalls 383,000 cars for rollaway danger....... (people have actually complained this has happened)....this was for accords, civics, and elements.

this was TODAY...
Mazda recalls 215,000 vehicles in U.S. for steering....

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Get the recall performed after Sept 1st, then get a new brother in law. :happy:

Bob

:rofl: ;D

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I looked at mine--- but im not sure I understand...

After looking at mine-- I get the impression that this issue applies to the Captain seats-- not the bench seat.

Trying to find out...

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I looked at mine, but I don't see what they are alking about?! They don't explain it very well!

A

·
0 Posts
I'm wondering how they are going to modify the second row seat trim shields; replace them with a new design; hack and cut to some specification ???

·
Registered
312 Posts
I looked at mine and noticed no apparent issues.

I've got to visit the dealer soon. I'll add the seat belt TSB to the short list of stuff for them to look over. :thumb:

·
Registered
994 Posts
AA/78U said:
A member on the Enclave forum called his dealer to see if his E was part of the recall and the dealer said his vehicle wasn't included in the recall..............this recall isn't VIN specific but yet this members 2010 was not part of the recall.
I spoke with my dealer then called GM Canada and my 09 Traverse is *not* part of this seatbelt recall. It is VIN specific.

A

·
0 Posts
copperbeech said:
I spoke with my dealer then called GM Canada and my 09 Traverse is *not* part of this seatbelt recall. It is VIN specific.
This recall being VIN specific seems to make sense now as you are the 2nd member to state that their Lambda wasn't affected; I just wonder when the VIN breakdowns will be published

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
maybe thats why the news release said 'some' may be affected...

A

·
0 Posts
rbarrios said:
maybe thats why the news release said 'some' may be affected...
GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR[/color] 2009-2010 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE, BUICK ENCLAVE, GMC ACADIA, AND SATURN OUTLOOK VEHICLES.

I guess I should read more carefully

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
AA/78U said:
GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR[/color] 2009-2010 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE, BUICK ENCLAVE, GMC ACADIA, AND SATURN OUTLOOK VEHICLES.

I guess I should read more carefully
That leaves you and I out of the recall. NICE enough recalls on my 07 already.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts