Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took mine in. Recall was performed.
Info- 2010 Traverse with 2nd row bench seat. VIN # obviously fell in the Vin range.
Dropped off at 630 am. Picked up after work.

I looked it over and I could not see any work done. Several minutes later- Im thinking that it was 'OK' and nothing was done. So I read over the work order and it said
"Recall #N100243
2nd Row safety belt interference when seat back returned to upright position.
Per Recall # N100243 R&R both 2nd row trim shields and modify as per instructions on SI. OK after repairs"

So I go back and im looking around- especially where I thought the problem existed. No luck.
Finally- I Moved the seats and looked around- and bingo found the areas the cut out/shaved off.
Actually--- No one will notice this- I had trouble looking for it- and I WAS looking for it.

heres the issue...
When folded I can see the buckle hitting the plastic trim in some cases.
Here I am pushing down the buckle. Note it fits neatly in the area that previously had a piece of trim plastic.

Same thing on the opposite side.

With the seat in the slid forward position- looking down-- you can see the modification.

·
Registered
272 Posts
IMO can't they just replace it instead of hacking it. Yours looks like they had done a neat job but I'm sure not every tech will take as much care in doing it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Looks like a hack Job to me. The correct fix would to replace that housing not hack into it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
Looks like a hack Job to me. The correct fix would to replace that housing not hack into it.
I agree 100%. But on the other hand, GM had to fix this fast since it was a safety concern, and getting another trim piece to market would be very hard to do quickly. I'm still confused as to what the problem is, I'll have to go study my seats and see if I can tell how it's rubbing on it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The two plastic parts will rub and over time it will thin out and weaken the seat belt housing and it could then break when under load in an accident.

·
Registered
407 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
The two plastic parts will rub and over time it will thin out and weaken the seat belt housing and it could then break when under load in an accident.
Perhaps, but I've always thought the plastic on the outsides of belt buckles was just for looks, I thought all the strength of the belt was inside. I can't imagine having plastic be the important part of the belt buckle in any form. We had a Silverado before, and the middle seat belt for the front bench seat (was only a regular cab) plastic broke off, but the belt could still be used, it was just missing the neat look with the plastic trim.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you take a look at yours- youll see that its possible for the buckle to contact that part- and possibly cause trouble over time.
I was playing with folding the seats and seeing how the buckle interacts with that part..
and under certain scenarios- I kept the buckle pushed down- and began to raise the seat-- the buckle remained UNDER the seat- as the seat returned to its upright position-- in this scenario I can see some damage being done.
Normally the buckle does appear to pop up to its normal position- but it is possible that the buckle wont pop up-- and lead to the scenario above.

Like I said- I went looking and could not find the modified area- had to look much harder.
Eventually by looking arounf I found it.
Im pretty sure no one will notice this.
(I dont know about the bucket seats).

Now if this were an OUTER trim piece that is visible every time you open the door--- I would be-- ok- make the mod for now-- but you must replace that piece with the revised version once it comes out- I dont want to open the door and see that..

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
due to some request--- heres a more 'normal look'

looking from the front seats-- to the rear seats... the mods are deep into the area the arrow is pointing.

from the 3rd row-- looking to the back of the 2nd row- you cant see the mod.

passenger side seat folded forward-- driver side not moved--- the modified area remains out of sight- behind the trim piece.

drivers side seat folded forward and passenger seat not moved--- modded trim not visible.

In order for me to take pics of the modded areas- I had to.
fold a seat (and it slides forward because of the spring action)- then go to the other side- and fold the seat- it also springs forwards- and then PURPOSELY slide the seat back without folding it back into position... this finally exposing the modded area- How many of us will actually do this? rarely. If youre not looking for it- youre not going to see it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Much better pics, clearly shows where the modifications a to be made. :thumb:

·
Registered
407 Posts
My belt buckle has a spring on it that keeps it upright. When I look down at that trim piece, it already has a notch out, so must be certain set of vin numbers that used a different design, perhaps from a different supplier? When I push my buckle down it doesn't come in contact with the plastic. We'll see if I get the recall notice, but since I haven't yet, I'm thinking it's not included for some reason. Problem is, GM never gets too specific to what is included, perhaps if it's a supplier issue, or if they changed the part, they just make a blanket statement that covers ALL Lambdas within those years to be safe, then probably only issue the letters to those who they KNOW have the problem.

BUT I have to give a shout out to rbarrios for detailing all this, and showing us exactly what and where to look at! :thumb: Now all of us can see on our own vehicles what it's all about and see if it needs to be watched for possible problems. (of course GM wouldn't allow vehicle owners to accept this responsibility on their own, hence the recall).

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes I checked mine today and they are spring loaded and stay in the upright position when the seats fold.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine are spring loaded too---
but I can see--- some sort of scenario--- where the buckle is somehow not allowed to spring back up..,.
maybe a childs toy- or --- something could fall down- and interfere...
speculation of course.. but possible.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Although they did a "neat" repair on yours rbarrios, I am really annoyed that GM doesn't come out with a replacement part. This is a ridiculous remedy! Its one thing to hack something out under the hood, or in a wheel well, but come on, this is the interior. Clearly this will be visible when you are flipping the seats around. I really hope my Traverse is not affected. I have not received a letter yet.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It seems a better idea could have been formulated ..... "hack job" fits the repair authorized by the General.

Bob

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes I think I may just not go in for the recall. Especially for a what if it get stuck down situation.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well we got the letter last week. I am wondering if that will be more visible with bucket seats if they just start cutting out some of the plastic. If anyone has gone in with bucket seats let us know. I think I will wait a couple weeks, no one uses our back seat anyway, it is just me and my wife in the car 99% of the time.

Maybe GM will send out a new piece instead of just cutting around it in the next month or so.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use my rear seats quite a bit. I also fold them down often- as we use the seat in the flat position as a changing table for the baby. I also put in a infant seat back there often- as we swap the seat base from the Impala to the Traverse.
So it was important to fix this possible problem.

The mod they made- also does not bother me at all. You cant see it. Even when I was looking for it-- I had to get down and look closely.
I guarantee you that 100% of my passengers will never notice it.
The car being the ebony interior- is always dark- even in full daylight. in the pics- I used the flash.
So no problem with me.

Id like to hear from other people with different color interiors... maybe those will be more noticeable.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
Yes I think I may just not go in for the recall. Especially for a what if it get stuck down situation.
As we speak of "hack jobs". Back in the mis 60's, Chevy had a "motor mount restraint" recall. This was the hack of hacks.

On small block 283 and 327 engines, the left motor mount could break ( and did, with regularity). When this mount broke and the car was accelerated in a "vigorous" manner, the torque would raise the drivers side of the engine, way up ..... which caused the accelerator to stick WOT and you were off to the races.

Instead of manufacturing a GOOD motor mount, GM decided to manufacture a cable restraint to hold the engine down .... in the event of rapid accelertion. So, you could have a broken mount, but the engine would stay in its' place .... until the cable broke. In later years, a new motor mount was devised.

In 1980, when the X car was introduced ( Citation) .... the car had EIGHTEEN recalls to be performed BEFORE the dealer could obtain the invoice and MSO from Chevrolet and before the vehicler could be sold to the general public. Talk about starting out on the wrong
foot!

Those were the real days of unbelievable "hack jobs".

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
rbarrios, I use the universal anchors for our kids car seats. I don't think that the anchors are comprimised by not have the recall done right? Its only the buckle?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no.... the LATCH connectors are not involved at all.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts