Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is my reply to another forum member who inquired me on how I installed my ScanGuage II on my Chevy Traverse. I didn't know how to attach pictures in PM so I opt this as my answer will benefit others who may be interested.

The ScanGuage is a nice gadget that besides read & reset ODBII codes, it displays many engine-related parameters. I have a Traverse LS without the trip computer on the LT & up. My Scangauge tells me my fuel economy and gives me ways more. In my case, I found the coolant temperature, fuel tank level (% displayed as opposed the fluctuating dash needle) to be extremely useful.

To answer the forum member's specific question, the gauge does display the engine oil pressure. I don't have the oil pressure programmed but I can check it out later next week. To enter the codes is extremely tedious. Because between looking at the sheet of alpa-numeric digits, keying with just 3 buttons (constantly scrolling and move next) with steering wheel in the way, and the unit is trying out shut off after a few seconds of inactivity (it only stays up constantly is when the engine is running), I have enter the same code numerous times just to get it right. It is best to do outside with the engine running and a 2nd person reading the codes while you are entering them...

I installed the gauge on top of the steering column with the supplied Velcro tape and I looped the cable around the steering column. Originally I tucked the cable into dash trim (the cable is partially concealed). If you look at the 3rd picture on how I run the cable, you can push the cable between the gap of gray dash and black trim-piece/wrap on the steering column. I removed it when I took my car to the dealership and didn't want them to see my gauge and haven't spent the time to make it look nice.

The original msg to me read:
Hello lxc,

I am wondering if you have "updated" your ScanGauge II to include the XGauge Features i.e. read here:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/xgauge.shtml

I ask as I would love to know if the ScanGauge II with this new software can actually state oil temperature and oil pressure as is now says it can for GM vehicles.

Any chance you might be able to check this for me? [Supposedly the newer ScanGauge II includes this update but older ones can be updated]

Anyways, just wondering.

--
[name withheld]

PS I am curious as to where you specifically mount your ScanGauge in your Traverse? Any chance when you have time you could snap me a picture of its setup?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Can you tell me if that scangauge II gives you transmission temperature? I assume there is a probe in the transmission somewhere, as the DIC will give you a warning when the transmission fluid gets too hot.

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
LXC:

Looks like a great little gadget to augment your existing instrument panel cluster. Have you done the XGuage update and tried it out? I would like to be able to read oil pressure and oil temp, but when towing reading transmission temp would be awesome. So this tool would be a great addition to my Outlook. Velcro makes for easy to install (and removal). It would be fantastic to know what if any of the above items can be read from your Traverse.

Off-topic, it would be *so* easy for GM to add these functions to the DIC. i.e. customized displays/guages. Perhaps have it as an up-level trim option.

Regards,
/BTV

·
Registered
44 Posts
lxc - thanks for the PM reply about TFT.

I ordered the ScanGauge II with XGauge & Performance Monitor (Version 6.0) from Gifford Automotive in Canada (http://www.giffordautomotive.com/Scangauge2_Main_Page.htm).
From an order service perspective, I ordered it Wednesday at 3:30pm. 10 minutes later, Tom Gifford sent me an email confirming my order, and confirming my very specific shipping instructions for Canada Post would be included. 10 minutes after that, Canada Post sent me an email saying my order was in their system for shipping. The package was delivered at noon on Thursday, and was delivered per my special instructions entered in my order. Not even Apple ships that fast!!!

I ordered it with the BlendMount rear-view mirror mount, and although the product/installation pictures show it going over top of the mirror, it doesn't fit on the Traverse rear-view mirror that way. I have installed it under the mirror (IMG_1057). It came with a CAT5 Ethernet patch cable that I ran in the headliner to the driver A-pillar cover, and behind the A-pillar cover (IMG_1060). Need to pry the plastic AIRBAG cover off using a thin plastic tool, and remove the 7mm screw behind it to pull the A-pillar cover off (careful with the speaker wire lower down inside if you have speakers in the pillar). I then ran the cable down the side of the dash behind the plastic side cover (pulls off by finger - 4 clips) and underneath the console to the OBD-II connector (IMB_1061 - finger pointing to OBD connector, plastic cover with 4 clips on side dash is right above my watch - rounded edge).

I had to custom enter two XGauges: 1 for the Transmission Fluid Temperature sensor, and 1 for the Ambient Air Temperature sensor. The Traverse uses CANSF for its protocol. For the TFT, the non-Allison TFT didn't work for me. I had to use the Allison Transmission Fluid Temperature XGauge to get a reading. If your experience is different, please let me know!

Anyway, I drove 175km/110mi with it last night all highway, and got a Water Temperature (WT / Coolant Temp) of 198F, with a TFT that went to 178F/180F, as high as 197F, then back down to 178F, throughout the trip.

IMG_1058 is the money shot ;) It was taken this morning after sitting all night. You'll see the following;
1 - IA (Intake Air Temp) for the temperature of the air going into the engine
2 - WT (Water Temp) for the temperature of the coolant
3 - ATf for the Ambient Air Temperature outside in Fahrenheit (this is an added by me custom XGauge)
4 - TFT for the Transmission Fluid Temperature in Fahrenheit

So as you look at that, it's 55F outside right now, 64F under the hood, the engine coolant is 62F, and the tranny fluid is 68F. This is with the truck not started.

Now I can tow knowing my TFT without having to splice coolant lines. :beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post Double K. I had intended to order this last fall but got sidetracked. I am interested in the oil pressure for the Traverse. I understand one can obtain this specific info via the XGauge software. When you get a chance can you give that a go?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey copperbeech

I created the XGauge for the Engine Oil Pressure. The XGauge PDF http://scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf shows this particular code as experimental;
Engine Oil Pressure 07E0221470(01) 046205140670 3008 002400190000 EOP PSI (experimental).

I started the Traverse, but it only read as 0 (zero) - so it doesn't work. I see lxc has OIL in his picture, though I don't think 210 is pressure. I've sent a note to Linear Logic advising it doesn't work in a Traverse. Since its experimental, maybe they just need more testers to try out different codes. If they get back to me, I'll post it here.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Double K,

This is really neat! I wanted to have a way to monitor my transmission temperature. I didn't think that scangaugeII had that capability!

What do you mean by "I had to custom enter two XGauges"??? Do you find some sort of code online to activate it?

I will PM you some more questions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Quantum

Yes - for XGauges, you have to enter the manufacturer specific codes yourself by hand into the ScanGauge II for any gauges that they don't provide by default. The list of codes is in the PDF file link above in my reply to copperbeech, supplied by Linear Logic.
It's fairly simple to do, takes about 2 minutes to enter the code. The users manual that comes with the ScanGauge tells you how to enter the custom codes. http://scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGII-UM-601.pdf

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey copperbeach

Linear Logic got back to me about the Oil Pressure. They state "It is rare for GM vehicles to display oil pressure. The only GM vehicle that has proven to display this gauge is the Corvette."

So I dug out my 2009 Traverse Service Manual.
On page 9-602 it shows an Engine Oil Pressure Sensor / Switch
On Page 8-139, under Engine Oil Pressure Indicator Malfunction, it states the following under Circuit/System Description;
"The engine oil pressure (EOP) switch is a normally closed switch that opens with the proper oil pressure. With the ignition switch turned ON and the engine not running, the engine control module (ECM) should detect a low signal voltage input. With the engine running, the pressure switch opens and the ECM should detect a high signal voltage input. When the oil pressure is low, the ECM sends a serial data message to the body control module (BCM) requesting the EOP indicator turned ON. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) illuminates the EOP indicator when the IPC receives a serial data message from the BCM requesting the EOP indicator turned ON."

(Suddenly on that last line, I remembered Good Morning Vietnam with Robin Williams).

So if I read that correctly, the engine oil pressure is a switch with only two values - zero (0) or one (1). Thus, maybe why I saw 0 on the ScanGauge display - 0 meaning OFF for the IPC EOP illumination, 1 meaning ON for the IPC EOP illumination.

Does this sound plausible?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts