Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...washed the Traverse the other day and noticed some spots....quite a few actually.....most on the tailgate and passengers side...

They looked so much like rust!!!.....took it to the dealer, and they inspected it....it was crap from the air that sticks and appears to rust....

Then they took my vehicle, re-washed it, and used the clay bar they get from their cleaner supplier....nice job!!....so it's not rust....

Think I need to wax it or something more often....don't know what's in our dirty air, but it ain't nice...so what are people using to wash/wax, etc??

Medman :beer:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Medman, where do you live? If you live in an area where you get snow and icy roads during the winter, your local road maintenance division probably uses Magnesium Chloride to help keep ice and snow off the roads. We have the same problem here and the stuff on your paint is exactly what I have to deal with on ours.

The following is from another post I had:

Sounds like you might have some winter road chemical damage on your paint. Can you see any small rust-colored spots where these rough areas are? If so, your DOT probably uses Magnesium-Chloride on the roads like we do in Colorado. I've seen these spots on our paint within the first two weeks we owned ours. The paint color will have to be anything but black, blue, or dark red to easily see this.

You know, I don't think the dealership even waxed our Traverse prior to giving it to us. And I've found numerous fish-eyes and lint in the paint of ours, but I haven't pointed it out to anyone yet. But if my paint felt as rough as you say yours is, I'd use the clay bar on a couple of areas to see if the problem was (mostly) corrected. Personally, I think you're better off doing it yourself if the clay bar remedies the issue. That way you know it's done right. If the clay bar doesn't take care of the whole problem I have some other suggestions that will help and shouldn't damage the paint.

Clay bar can be a paint saver, but make sure you use a good polish/sealer and then a good wax. Otherwise you leave the paint completely unprotected. I use Meguiar's products exclusively. I'll use their clay bar, Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze (to seal the paint), then either the Gold Class Wax or #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (better than the Gold Class in my opinion) with my random-orbital buffer. To do the entire Traverse (clay/polish/wax) should take about 6 hours if the car is clean and totally dry. Use a good car wash liquid/shampoo since dishwashing liquid strips the wax from the paint. Use good quality drying towels and microfiber towels for waxing/detailing, too. Crappy old bath towels do nothing for a vehicle's paint.

Want a short-cut? Wash the car with one bucket and have another clean soap bucket there, too. Once the car is clean and rinsed (but not dry yet), use the secondary bucket to use along with the clay bar. DP makes a good rinseless wash you could use for the secondary bucket and you don't have to rinse the car, just wipe it dry. EDIT: Use this method and you won't have to use copious amounts of QD (quick detailer) spray with the clay bar.

Meguiar's isn't your only option. Mother's makes good stuff, too. Go to Autogeek.com and you'll find detailing stuff (like DP) you didn't even know existed and people who are REALLY anal about their cars.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Im here in Los Angeles.
On my tailgate- I get some little red dots.. minute little things.
I see them when I wash the car- very visible to me- on the gold mist.
I can scratch them off with my nail.
I see this more on my tailgate...
a few on hood... but tailgate for some reason.
YOu can only see these up close- take a few steps back and they blend in with the paint color.
I also saw these on my pewter color trailblazer..

way too small to be bird poop.
Could be somekind of flying insect poop... who knows.... but like I said I can remove them with nail

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, sounds like you are right

I live in the Toronto Ontario area....
Now that I have seen what the dealer did for me and what is being posted, means I better get cracking on keeping it ship shape with some wax and polish....can only imagine what might eventually happen to it with seeing this crap.....

I have never seen this on any other vehicle I have owned....maybe should go after the city! :)

Medman :beer:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Remember the clay bar is abrasive, so use it maybe twice a year with light to moderate pressure. Clay bar is good for getting rid of water spots on paint and glass, too.

You're in about the same predicament I am. I have to do this to my car once in April to get rid of the winter residue, then again in late September/early October to get ready for winter. The only other hint I can offer is to wash your car once a week even if it's at a do-it-yourself carwash. That will minimize the staining and residue you get. But you'll still have work to do in the spring.

Best of luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes welcome to the world of pollution. I know all about that I use to have a white truck.

Claybar is the best and easiest way to clean it off. Then remember to wax after the Claybar strips all the wax off too.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
with me- I wash every week or 2.
I dont really wax my vehicles...
But on my Trailblazer- I would just apply wax- to the spot that had the most of these little specs.

It was more of a - get on my nerves type of thing-- like I said- you took a few steps back- and they disapeared.
walk up to it- and get close- like when washing a car and thats when you can see them.

I sometimes suspect they may be insect poop--- because right next to my driveway- I have a flower garden-- and in the summer-- I have a wide assortment of insects taking advantage of the flowers- bees, bumblebees, wasps, flies, ladybugs, aphids, gnats, beetles- etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts