Traverse Forum banner

Rust Proofing?

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  57 Chevy 
#1 ·
As a resident of southern Ontario our cars come into contact with more road salt than probably anywhere in Canada/North America. It is very usual to be pressured to buy :mad: a dealer product or better still an after market rust protection. Our current 4 year old car gets treatment every other year at Krown Rust. Just wondering if any of you have got your Traverse treated? Anyone with a Traverse in Southern Ontario having gone to Krown?

#2 ·
Hey Copper...long time no hear...lol

Good point...I did see in the list of features (can't recall 100% though)...something about 7 years on rust....but I guess the extra protection is probably worth it....i wouldn't mind knowing too...

Medman

#3 ·
medman said:
Good point...I did see in the list of features (can't recall 100% though)...something about 7 years on rust....but I guess the extra protection is probably worth it....i wouldn't mind knowing too...

Medman
I am very confident that Krown in S. Ontario is the best place for getting this extra protection. I have had a couple of cars since new, each with a manufacturer's rust protection warranty and nothing extra and both times "rust" developed before I wanted to replace the car. For one of my current vehicles, I go to Krown every other year for a reapplication. I am confident that still provides adequate protection and of course saves me money.

#4 ·
What about the electronic rust inhibitor module that hooks up to the battery?? Anyone have experience with this on a vehicle???....dealer quoted $699 (installed) for the Traverse, and Canadian Tire has it on sale right now fo $199...no idea what CT would charge to install....

Medman

#6 ·
Copperbeech, just got back today from the Ziebart Diamond Gloss project and they quoted rustproofing $330 U.S. with a 10-year warrenty. Showed me what claims to be the copy of the GM rustproofing warrenty for 3yrs 36k miles (it supposedly excludes damage from sea salt - ie Florida and road salt -ie winter). Has anyone read the GM rustproofing warrenty fineprint? If this is true I guess we really have to hope the factory applicaton truly just works and is naturally solid.... Talking to the manager whom I have known for quite a long time (we never talked about rustproofing honestly until you put the bug in my head - thanks a lot!!!)... he told me their Ziebart shop has rustproofing contracts with 22 municipalities and also CEI (the local electric company). This came up because I could not believe the 8 large new trucks sitting on his lot. Due to length of service and our road conditions, they do not get put in service until he rustproofs them. I have not looked into the Ziebart rustproofing warrenty at all... just thought you would find that interesting...

#7 ·
Just yesterday I had the Traverse at the KROWN rust proofing shop for its treatment for this year i.e. for the next 12 months.

It was "KROWNED" for the first time in May 2009 (so I am a little late :-[).

Who else uses KROWN (a Canadian only operation?) or any other annual application product?

#8 ·
I ran my 1993 Cutlass Supreme with no rust protection at all except for washing the underside of the car by hand every spring.

By 2003 body had no rust except for the hood edge where the all rusted do to a design flaw. The engine and tranny where almost shot but the body was great.

The body has a unlimited 5 year rust through warranty from GM. As per Ontario regulations.

Almost all 2000 + car bodies will out live the engines...

I have never had rust proofing on any of my cars.

In fact some forms of rust proofing plug the drain holes and actually cause the vehicles to rust faster.

IE plugging the door drains and then your doors hold water.

#9 ·
KROWN is generally considered the best after market rust proofing in Canada (several independent organizations do recommend it e.g. CAA and APA). If applied regularly say....at least once every two years the car will be in better shape than the same car w/o such a treatment. Such care is of course more worthwhile if you intend to keep the vehicle well beyond 5 years. Definitely modern vehicles do not show visible signs of rusting until they are over five or six years old. However after that, due to the high salt environment found in much of Southern Ontario and elsewhere, the vehicle will very likely experience mechanical and body deterioration due to corrosion.

(Btw, grease is applied to those drain holes to eliminate any possibility of rust developing in those locations)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.