Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me start off, I don’t know anything about vehicles other than changing a tire, and driving them. But a while back (about 4 months ago) my vehicle was overheating and a friend of mine changed my temp sensor. I didn’t have any coolant at the time so I put water in the plastic piece to the left that’s labeled dex-cool. And just a few days ago it started running hot again. When I turn off the vehicle it sounds like fans are still spinning. And I can’t drive very far before it says the engine is overheating. When I checked the water in that dex cool piece it was almost completely empty. I added more water and went to autozone to get dex cool. I haven’t put that in yet because there’s still water in it now. Any way someone may know just based in this information?

·
Registered
2020 High Country
703 Posts
If your losing coolant you may be boiling over due to a bad thermostat or a component is leaking for example.
Get it properly checked out, driving a overheating engine will kill the engine in short order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your losing coolant you may be boiling over due to a bad thermostat or a component is leaking for example.
Get it properly checked out, driving a overheating engine will kill the engine in short order.
Thank you for a reply. It may be a small leak or something. Like I said I don’t have much experience with vehicles. But I put water in it Saturday and it still has water in it now. I haven’t driven much since then but I have been cranking it to try and get the water to suck into the radiator seeing if that would do something

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
If you're just putting in water (i.e., no anti-freeze), you are diluting the anti-freeze and the water will boil; boiling water does not remove heat as well as liquid water. Anti-freeze increases the boiling temperature. As Repairman said, get it checked out ASAP or you're going to have a very expensive "sculpture" siting in your driveway (or worse, along the side of the road).

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
look at this thread,

you also want to check coolant level in the radiator.
YOu have to remove the plastic shield to check the level by removing the radiator cap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for a reply. It may be a small leak or something. Like I said I don’t have much experience with vehicles. But I put water in it Saturday and it still has water in it now. I haven’t driven much since then but I have been cranking it to try and get the water to suck into the radiator seeing if that would do something
You better check your oil...any make sure its not a milky color.cause if you do you have a bigger problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts