Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning the throttle body and MAS filter , Noticed that the RPM fluctuates at idle
I used a new scanner ( FOXWELL NT301) I bought , it shows RPM is between 559 to 688. I am not comfortable with that.
The car drives smoothly no problems. any ideas ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just cleaned my throttle body & MAF sensor recently also & afterwards it was doing the same thing exactly as you described. I just continued to drive it & after a couple days it seemed to recalibrate itself. Perfectly normal now & has an increase in power.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Im wondering if disconnecting the battery to erase learned parameters--- that is to return to default values...
and then it will begin to relearn.....

or like previous user--- allow the system to relearn over time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You would probably see a fault code if the MAF sensor went bad. What cleaner did you use to clean the throttle body and what cleaner for the MAF? Were things A-OK before the cleanings?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used Carburetor Cleaner for the throttle body , for the MAF a normal Contact cleaner fast drying (twice) , the reason was to check LOW MPG issue ( my other post )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just a Q , anybody thinks that the MAF sensor gone bad ??
No, if the MAF went bad you'd know it pretty quickly. The car would fail the MAF and go into speed density mode and you'd get a P0101 code in short order.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
CRC MAF cleaner is what I use.

·
Registered
621 Posts
After using the contact cleaner on it, I would. I have seen contact cleaners say no residue but there is a white film or an oily film afterward.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Harry 54,
With today's cars and electronics, one should use the proper products...
Scotty has lots of good advice

You might just try "recleaning" the MAF,
If you suspect your "contact cleaner" left a residue...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Traverse has an electronic throttle body...

Scotty's old toyota ^^^ does not.
To be safe, do not push the throttle plate with your hand

"Please note that if your car has an electronic throttle body, do not push the throttle plate to open.
The electronic throttle body is fully controlled by a vehicle computer. The motor inside the throttle body opens and closes the throttle plate. If you push the throttle plate by hand, the vehicle computer may lose the throttle position. That can create another problem, and things will even get worse. What’s more, you might need a scan tool to reset or perform the idle relearn procedure for the engine to retain the correct idle speed. So, keep that in mind, and here is how to clean the electronic throttle body."

1. Have someone in a driver’s seat
2. Turn the key on without a start
3. Have someone press the gas pedal all the way
4. Now, the throttle plate is open

https://onlinecarrepairmanuals.com/how-to-clean-the-throttle-body

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Ive been cleaning my Throttle body, every oil change(5K). and im now at 155,000.
Its still working fine.
I make sure the keys are out of ignition. and the TB has no power to it.
I am then able to move the plate back and forth- and spray the sides of the plate where it pivots... thats where I want to clean
(getting rid of crud that may build up and slow down movement).

what you dont want to do is move the plate- while its energized. So make sure the keys are out of the ignition.
There is a stepper motor inside- that will try to move back into proper position- as you push. (while power is present)
You dont want to damage this

1 - 20 of 41 Posts