Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, this may be a silly question. I may have to pick up some cross bars to put my rooftop carrier on for our summer vacation. My rooftop carrier will definitely extend over top of the antennae mast.

Will that interfere with my satellite reception?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hey gang, this may be a silly question. I may have to pick up some cross bars to put my rooftop carrier on for our summer vacation. My rooftop carrier will definitely extend over top of the antennae mast.

Will that interfere with my satellite reception?

If heavy tree cover can block the microwave signal so will any metal carrier blocking the antenna from the sky.....FM should still work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that. Never thought I would say this, but I have become quite fond of xm radio. We will be on a 13 hour drive through the mountains from Alberta through to southern BC. FM stations are few and far between on this trip. I will just have to load up a few hundred of my favorite songs on my USB, or leave some crap at home.

Thanks for the confirmation Thomcat

·
Registered
50 Posts
I get XM reception while parked in my windowless garage, so the best I can say is give it a try, if it works, great, if it doesn't, it doesn't...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was afraid of that. Never thought I would say this, but I have become quite fond of xm radio. We will be on a 13 hour drive through the mountains from Alberta through to southern BC.
Have a great vacation and safe and fun drive. Let us know how the Traverse did in the Rockies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well gang, didn't need to use the roof top carrier as the Traverse had enough room to carry all our stuff.

We pulled a jet ski and with 4 adults and a full load, we put the traverse to the test through the mountains.

Pulling the ski on open prairie was nice and easy. When we got to the mountains it was a little bit different.

The 9 speed transmission means a ton of shifts when going up hill and I felt the traverse struggled a bit more than my previous ride (2006 Acura MDX). We frequently hit 4K rpm to get up some of the hills so it felt like the traverse was struggling. Perhaps it was just the fact we were loaded and pulling an extra 1200lbs.

Now coming down the inclines the Traverse shined. Slip it into L and change as needed to help with the speed control. This meant much less use of the brakes and therefore, no brake issues.

In hindsight, I probably should have used L for the uphill struggle as well. But I found I would forget and find myself forgetting it in #7, for example, and end up in higher Rpms on the flat stuff. I will practice that next time thru the mountains.

Thanks for all your input guys.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds like the trip went well... how much did your fully loaded trailer weigh? Plus say 700lbs of people and a couple hundred of cargo? That's a nice load.

Now can you imagine towing anywhere near the rated 5000 lbs? I wouldn't hesitate to do it a handful of times over my ownership span but if I would need something that makes the experience a little less stressful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the trip went well... how much did your fully loaded trailer weigh? Plus say 700lbs of people and a couple hundred of cargo? That's a nice load.

Now can you imagine towing anywhere near the rated 5000 lbs? I wouldn't hesitate to do it a handful of times over my ownership span but if I would need something that makes the experience a little less stressful.

Jet ski and trailer was about 1200lbs loaded. And I would be comfortable pulling a heavier load on the flat prairies where I live. Through the mountains would be interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts