Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a factory roof rack? I have the black side rails already installed and ordered the cross bars only but when I went to install them it seams that something is missing in the kit or I need more than the side rail kit to make this work.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My understanding is that 2010s ( at least some) come with the roof rails covers, but with no rails inside them. Don't know for sure as mine's an 09, but it seems someone here mentioned that as being the case.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
yup... 2010's will be missing the metal rails within the long black strips on the roof.

the exception is that early 2010's still had the metal rail.

I have a 2010- and mine had the metail rail- I also installed my own cross rails. (removed them too).
once you do it once- its very easy to put them on and off.

I believe somewhere on here I posted a pic of the metal rail within the black strip...
Let me know- if you need anything- I can snap a pic...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So whats the fix to make the cross bars work on my 2010? Do I need to buy the entire kit and will it go in place of the black channels already in place or inside those channels?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I had posted about this a while back.

since you have the cross bars--- you now only have to order the c-channels. these will go within the black striips you already have....

But the metal channels will fit into the black thing...

Read this post.... I even included pics about it when I Posted this back in dec.

click on the pic to make it larger-- so you can see detail.
the top pic shows the metal rail within--- you can also see part of the cross bar assembly....

the lower pic- shows a long shot of the metal rail.

the rubber stopper you see in the pic--- is applied after the cross rails have been installed.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=519.0

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) The part No. is 19244268 and the price is $239.00 or $173.99 plus Shipping through GM direct http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/accessories/frameset3.cfm
If you talk to your dealership you my be able to get them to go down on the price. They are easy to install I put them my self in less that an hour.

8) Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
VB - LTZ said:
:) The part No. is 19244268 and the price is $239.00 or $173.99 plus Shipping through GM direct http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/accessories/frameset3.cfm
If you talk to your dealership you my be able to get them to go down on the price. They are easy to install I put them my self in less that an hour.

8) Steve
Now that you've installed the cross rails do you notice any significant wind notice or any significant impact in mileage because of the added resistance and air turbulence.

Jim
2LT Red jewel with towing and ebony leather interior

·
Registered
10 Posts
andylibby said:
My understanding is that 2010s ( at least some) come with the roof rails covers, but with no rails inside them. Don't know for sure as mine's an 09, but it seems someone here mentioned that as being the case.
I picked up a 2010 with build date of October 2009 and it only has the rail covers not the rails.

Jim

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
When I installed mine- I noted no increase in wind noise- I think I drove up to 80 mph.
I didnt notice any significant drop.
I still went ahead and took them off and put them in the garage.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
jssussex said:
I picked up a 2010 with build date of October 2009 and it only has the rail covers not the rails.

Jim

from my other post...
Effective 8/3/09- the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
Exterior section- Added Roof Rail moldings, It is "S" on all equipment groups (standard equipment)
Exterior section-(VQQ) LPO, black roof rack cross rails,deleted entirely
Exterior section-(V2P) Roof Rails, Black Longitudinal, deleted entirely
Exterior section- Added (S49)LPO, Roof rack longitudinal C-channels and cross rails, it is "A/D" on 1LT,2 LT, and 1LZ with a footnote that reads "not available for fleet or Govt. order types." also, it is "-" on 1LS.

so effective Aug 3. 09... 2010's would have the following deleted as mentions above.
My 2010- built July 31- 09 got the rails.
2010 Production started back up at Spring hill on July 30/31. So about 4 days worth of Traverses for 2010 have the rails on... the rest have to be ordered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if here is an after market chrome insert kit available for the 2009 Traverse roof rack system? I do not need the cross-bars, I never carry anything on the roof. I would like a chrome cap though to cover up the channels. They are already a pain when i wash the vehicle as they tend to accumulate water,snow,ice and I can forsee them becoming a weak spot...potential rust...down the road.

Has anyone come across...Chevy dealer does not make such a cap but agrees with me the roof rack system is not perfect.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
not that ive seen.

Now that you mention it--- water accumulation--- I have not seen it..
then again I have not looked....

But I have noticed that when I wash the car.... Ive dried it-- and towards the rear- ill get a little river of water-- or remnants of...

This makes me believe that the channels are draining in the rear.... ill have to take a close look at this and verify next time I wash.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I have not seen any thing aftermarket of the roof rack either because I was looking to see if they made a chrome cover also but I have the cross bars I was just looking for something to dress it up some.

8) Steve

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Well I think the only option is the factory one. Plus they did allot of design work and aerodynamic work to make sure the factory roof rack didn't affect the millage or make noise. That is why it looks like a fin more than a cross bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts