Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just ordered cross rails for our roof rack from our dealer. He used our VIN number to order so you'd think it would be the right set of parts, but we are having problems with the install. The side parts that hold the rails do not want to stay in the track. The only way to get them to stay is to hit them with a rubber mallet, but then the cross bars will not fit because the side piece is too low. But when we have it so that the cross bars will fit on, the whole thing can be pulled off VERY easily-our 1 year old was able to pull the cross bar off, so I don't think a 100 lb luggage rack would stay! Are we doing something wrong, or missing some pieces, or did we get the wrong part? The dealership is not open today so they are of no help. We need to use the luggage rack for a trip we are taking over Easter, so any suggestions are appreciated!

It is a 2010 LT1 with AWD, tow package, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
went out and snapped some pics of my rails. also 2010. (but my was early build- so they came like this from factory).

Hope they help.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
let me know if you need any close up pics... ill log back on this afternoon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, the inside of our rails do not look like yours. From reading the other posts, it seems we are missing the c-channels. Can these be ordered, or if you don't have them are you just SOL? I don't understand why they would put side rails on that seem to serve no purpose other than to be decorative. I also don't understand why our dealer didn't get us the right parts since he used our VIN to order. Argh!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Yes. for later 2010's -- if you want workable roof rack- you have to order the cross bars AND C channels.

It does sound like you are missing the metal c channels-.

The cross bars slide into the c chanel via the small opening thats located alsmost in the middle of the c channel..
then you can slide them back and forth along that channel- you then tighthen the screw that will hold the cross bar in place- put cover on- and put screw on the cover.
once the cross bars are in place---- you put a rubber cab on the spot where you slid in the cross bars...

enlarge picture 8049 above... where the shadow is.... note that theres a break in the channels continuity along the edges---
this is where the crossbars slide INTO the rail...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we went back to the dealer and told him that we needed the longitudinal c-channels. He had no idea what we were talking about. He said that part didn't exist, and couldn't be ordered. We told him our cross bars would not work if we did not have this part, and he said that there was no such part and the cross bars should work. Finally, my husband took him out on the lot to show him a Traverse that HAD the crossbars installed, and showed him how the rails on it were different than the rails on all the other cars. He finally conceded that maybe there was a difference, but insisted he couldn't order the parts because they do not exist in the system. So now we seem to be stuck with the cross rails we ordered and no way to install them. I am REALLY glad that the Chevy dealers know so much about the cars they are selling! I am also VERY unhappy that we seem to have bought a car that we can't even put a roof rack on (unless we can find parts on ebay or something). Great job, General Motors!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, my husband just called another dealer this morning, and they also had no idea what we were talking about regarding the c-channels, and said all we should need is the cross rails. They said we could bring in our cross rails and they will install them for us for around $80. I am TEMPTED to do this, just to get them to admit that maybe we are missing something.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
sorry for the trouble Melmo.

searching for Traverse accesories- I find the following.

click to enlarge.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
you know they must be assuming that the 2010's are like the 09's and early 2010's-- where they came with the c channel...
not aware they were deleted... and must be ordered.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
you know what...
Ive looked at 2 sites that sell gm parts-- and the pics they have-- shows the side rails (the big black part) but the images show nothing about the part withing... (the c channel).
it shows the parts as 09-10....
it appears they have not updated the parts catalog...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
this is what the parts catalog is showing...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
on ebay- theres an auction for the kit... it says...

"Up for sale is a brand new Genuine GM Roof Rack Side and Cross Rail Package for a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse with out V2P Option. Includes C-channels for side rails and black cross rails. Carry a load on the roof of your Traverse with this rail Package. This package adds both function and style and can accomodate up to 200 lbs. One Year GM Factory Warranty. GM Part# 19244268"

Now- that V2P sounded familiar... and sure enough- I posted about this a while back... note that V2P option code deletes the black longitudinal rails...
So this kit above would include the cross bars, rails, and c-channels...

from my other post...
Effective 8/3/09- the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:
Exterior section- Added Roof Rail moldings, It is "S" on all equipment groups (standard equipment)
Exterior section-(VQQ) LPO, black roof rack cross rails,deleted entirely
Exterior section-(V2P) Roof Rails, Black Longitudinal, deleted entirely
Exterior section- Added (S49)LPO, Roof rack longitudinal C-channels and cross rails, it is "A/D" on 1LT,2 LT, and 1LZ with a footnote that reads "not available for fleet or Govt. order types." also, it is "-" on 1LS.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
ok, it seems they simply sold you the wrong part...
they should have sold you the cross bar and rail kit...

I asked someone that bought the kit-- heres what they said...

Question
"so you had the black side rails...... the long black things on top----- WITHOUT the c channel...

the kit you ordered above-- came with the cross bars and c channels ONLY?

or cross bars, c channel, and side rails?

Answer
The kit came with cross bars, the c channel. The longitudinal black plastic moldings came with the car originally.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you take the plastic triangular covers off the end pieces to loosen the torx fastener and then use the driver to tighten the bas assembly? I doubt that there is any application that requires a mallet to install the cross bars.

Ray
2010 Travelers Ed.
with roof rack, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We went to yet another dealer (one of the few good things about living in a major metropolitan area is that there are lots of car dealers!) to ask about the roof rack, explaining how we'd bought the cross rails from our original dealership, but seemed to be missing a part, but that the original and another place insisted we weren't. Immediately, he said, "Oh, you probably just have the rail moldings, and not the actual rails. No problem..." He was able to order us the correct parts in a matter of minutes and even let us have them for the same price we'd paid for just the cross rails at the first dealership. So we finally have a working roof rack!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
ohhhhhhhhhhh nice!!!

So its been installed and everything?
Or on order...

To verify- in case others run into your scenario...
Please post the part number you got.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I just picked my roof rack and side rails up from the dealer. So I have an Easter weekend project.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts