Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
We've been using a Thule roof box for years on a Rendezvous - Thule box, bar, towers, and 'feet' to connect into the factory tracks.

When I got a Traverse I thought I'd just need to get a new set of 'feet' to connect into the Traverse' roof tracks, since they're a different size than the Rendezvous.

Unfortunately the local Thule dealer told us that both Thule and Yakima strongly recommend against roof mounting systems on Traverse. Something about wind tunnel tests and roof boxes coming off. He said he had one customer who said '**** the torpedoes' and installed anyway and he lost his roof box once he got on the highway.

The weirdest part was that they didn't try to sell us some expensive alternative. They just said we were out of luck and sent us away.

Has anyone else had experience with this situation? Do we have any alternatives?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Maybe you will want to consider the THULE Cargo BAGS.... Less cargo... but a least you can stuff clothes in there. lighther stuff..
The other option- if you have the tow hitch receiver and electrical connector- a Cargo rack OR box on your hitch.

You can do what I did- and wired up some bright LEDS (turn, parking, braking). that I simply plug into the provided connector.
(on my Trailblazer- I ordered a Traverse.. not here yet).

with brakes applied....

When Ive taken LONG trips into mexico- I go to a store that has all sorts of boxes...
In this image I bought 4 equal sized boxes.. and loaded them up as evenly as possible.
Covered them up in plastic(painters supply stuff from home depot)- and used a combination of Bunjee cords- and some rope.. those boxes didnt move any- even when hitting some bumpy roads in mexico. I also packed them in such a way that if any checkpoint- soldiers or customs asked to inspect-- I could easily undoo it all.

as for the roof cargo bag-- I usually load it up with clothes/shoes- lighter stuff I guess.. placed in plastic bags.. (in case we run into rain).
Here I am again on another trip- somewhere in the Sonoran Desert. Thule bag on top... and the cargo rack.
This was the 1st time I used the cargo rack-
I learned from this trip.... (boxes partially blocked tailamps at certain angles for cars behind me.(brake/turn)- so I decided to install the LEDS (for the next trip).

I plan on using the rack and thule bag on my Traverse. ( I ordered the tow option and the roof rails).
Its possible that a cargo box-- allows air UNDER the box-- and somehow help it become airborne...(as it did for that fellow). the bag sits on the roof of the vehicle).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for pointing out the GM cross rails. It seems like they're the easiest option, although I won't be able to get a canoe and roof box on there. Need my really wide Thule bar for that.

I got through to Thule and asked them what the scoop is. It doesn't sound as bad as I thought, although I'm still a bit stuck.

They just haven't got around to making 'feet' that fit in the Traverse's wide side rail tracks.

Someday they might, but the customer service rep only knew they didn't have one today.

The other option I'm mulling is getting a local metal shop to custom fabricate some parts to fit. I'm thinking they'd be able to make something workable for less than the $220CDN they want for GM cross rails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts