Traverse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2011 Traverse, when parking on a hill and with the car in park. The car rolls couple inches before it locks into park after I take my foot off the brake. Is this normal ???

G

·
Yes

When I park on a hill, I shift into Park, set the parking brake and then let off the brake pedal; this will minimize roll back

·
Registered
551 Posts
marty said:
New 2011 Traverse, when parking on a hill and with the car in park. The car rolls couple inches before it locks into park after I take my foot off the brake. Is this normal ???
Yup. Our driveway is on a small hill. When we put it in park it feels like we are on a boat!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
While still in gear and stopped, I set the parking brake, then move to PARK ..... no roll.

Bob

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes the transmission shift into park and they have some roll as it set the parking gear. I would suggest setting the brake before you shift into park that is what I always do.

No issues.

·
Registered
551 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
While still in gear and stopped, I set the parking brake, then move to PARK ..... no roll.

Bob
EVERY time you park. The garage, driveway, store, you use the parking brake!? Or just when you are on a hill and you know it will roll?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
EVERY time you park. The garage, driveway, store, you use the parking brake!? Or just when you are on a hill and you know it will roll?
I guess I'm in the habit of setting the brake each time... just automatic, I guess.

Bob

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
I guess I'm in the habit of setting the brake each time... just automatic, I guess.

Bob
You must have started out driving a manual transmission like I did.

I got out of the habit of using the parking brake when the Silverado I purchased, didn't have a working parking break. Took care of that this spring though, only owned the truck for 4 years before I got it fixed. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
417 Posts
All automatic transmissions can roll a bit, if not a lot when put in park, before the parking pin in the transmission will catch and stop the wheels.

Rule 1 with Automatic Transmissions: Always use the parking brake. No matter what.

Using only the "Park" pin method for keeping a vehicle from rolling will eventually lead to some type of failure of the transmission. The "Park" part of an automatic is only there for safety, not for use as the method for anti-roll.

·
Registered
202 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts