Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2010 Traverse in Nov 09. I took my first road trip shortly thereafter from San Angelo, TX to Oceanside, CA when I was moving. That one only took me 2 days, not too bad. When I get home from Afghanistan, I want to take a much longer one that will span the better part of the entire U.S. From Oceanside, CA to Northern Michigan (to visit for about a week), and then to Bradenton, FL just south of Tampa (again for about a week or so) and then back to Cali. This is obviously a large endeavor and will take a long time. Does anybody have any tips for not only the vehicle, but also for the sanity of my family? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
change oil before you travel...
And knowing the DI engine- change oil at about 4000-6000.
SInce these are highway miles (unless heavily loaded) they should be easy on the engine.
But- Id just change about somewhere around there.
CHeck your spare tires air pressure.
tell the 2nd row passengers that they can recline their seatbacks - bench seats too--- interesing feature...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will def change my oil before, and probably while in florida as well... As for the seats, we have the captains chairs and the fact that they recline quite a bit is def a plus, my father in law and my son both love that feature. And we have the dvd player option so my son can watch whatever he wants... Thanks again

G

·
dak

thank you for your service; from one vet to another. Your Traverse should handle well on the highway's; they are geared to be driven on the roads instead of around town. When your trip is complete; come back and let us know how the experience was

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
We're on our 'see the USA" tour right now .... we're on day 2 and we're planning a total of 5,000 miles around the USA.

All is well with the Traverse, it floats along so well, one does not fatigue while sitting. We have found the Traverse is happy at 70 to 75 MPH, keeping the Rpm's a shade under 2K. We did do an oil change before the trip, don't buy into the OLM theory, rotated the tires and set tire pressure at 35 pounds.

What has been a NIGHTMARE is the Onstar system, regarding their route planning and "dropping the loaded info", once the info has been downloaded to the Traverse.

In addition ,we are currently traveling west, Onstar continued to route us in a dead south direction.

While creating the route with the advisor, Onstar will not recognize mile markers for selected targets as a reference, exact addresses must be used, which can be a P.I.T.A. at times. Right now, I'm very sorry I renewed my Onstar subscription, Onstar has been a mess for us.

It was explained that Onstart was doing some updating with their systems, meanwhile advisors are shorthanded, wait time is long, not a good scenario. Very poor service from Onstar, at this time.

As a proud American, I thank you for your service to our country.

Bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sounds like fun, wish we could find the time to drive across country!!

I have used onstar on a couple different cars and I was not impressed with it as far as directions are concerned. We got it for an emergency situation where we needed a phone, or were in a crash. As far as directions, I would not travel someplace I didnt know without a map or navigation. When onstar was not dropping the signal, it was sending us in the wrong direction!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My Family is leaving the end of this month from Windsor Ontario going to Lexington Kentucky 1 night then to Atlanta 5 nights than to Charlotte NC for 5 nights then back to Lexington for 5 nights then home. Just a little 1910 mile trip.

Towing the Hardtop too so this will be the first real road trip for out Traverse.

So I will see how the towing millage is too.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
Sounds like fun, wish we could find the time to drive across country!!

I have used onstar on a couple different cars and I was not impressed with it as far as directions are concerned. We got it for an emergency situation where we needed a phone, or were in a crash. As far as directions, I would not travel someplace I didnt know without a map or navigation. When onstar was not dropping the signal, it was sending us in the wrong direction!
I did bring my AAA maps that were provided to me, they have saved the day more than once. I have used Onstar for one year now, never had the degree of problems we are experiencing now. It now makes sense why Onstar was so willing to discount the new subscription price.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful info everybody... We have onstar and have use it before for the phone service and emergency, but I have the dvd/nav, and although from time to time in certain cities it isn't the best, coming from texas to SoCal, the traverse and the nav did just fine. Our trip will be about 6500 miles and span about 28 days total. I will definitely update when the trip is complete and probably on my way as well. My wife is currently in the middle of a road trip right now, as she drove from San Diego, Ca to northern Michigan earlier this month and will return shortly after July 4th. She said that it was a great ride and besides my son and some weather there wasn't any issues. Hopefully it goes as smooth for all of us. Again thanks everybody for the input, and Bob, I would love to hear about your trip along the way.

Dakota

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Our trip has been very good, the Traverse has been very good. The mileage began at 21.6 at 75 MPG , has now gone to 25.7 at 65 MPH. So far we have logged on approx. 2,000 miles.

Utah is a beautiful state, we are now in Salt Lake City. The Onstar turn by turn continues to be a BIG problem, has not worked with a darn since Little Rock, Arkansas. I have discovered the safe and sound is controlled by satelite, while turn by turn is controlled by cell phone towers. I was under the impression the total Onstar program was under satelite operation. Not so.

Bob

G

·
bobg1951chevy said:
I have discovered the safe and sound is controlled by satelite, while turn by turn is controlled by cell phone towers. I was under the impression the total Onstar program was under satelite operation. Not so.
I wasn't aware of that either; that may be the issue with the TBT

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
AA/78U said:
I wasn't aware of that either; that may be the issue with the TBT
TBT has been a true disappointment, anything west of Little Rock, Arkansas has been hit and miss ..... at best.

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
I can't comment too much on turn-by-turn as I don't use it typically (although I have used it.) But, I do use the feature of calling OnStar and having them download destinations into the DVD/Nav system. I've become a big fan of this for it's ease, speed, and convenience. I've used this feature at least 100 times. The OnStar personnel are courteous and quick with this service. I use it mostly for business where I'm in a strange town and making a number of stops in a day. I will definitely renew OnStar for this as well as for the safety and security features.

What I wish they could do is take the whole list of addresses I'm planning to visit and put together a route for me. I'm told that I can do that online, but haven't tried it yet.

8)

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
when the missus has to visit several families (for her work)- I go on Mapquest and load them up.
It allows 5 destinations. Call them what you want...
I usually call them--- ten thirty, or eleven thirty.... etc... the time she has her appt at

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always check mapquest or google maps and get a general idea of where im going before i head somewhere i've never been... Another good thing about this is that you can take time to avoid routes that you dont want to take and since the dvd/nav isnt always the most accurate when it comes to time it takes to get somewhere I make sure to remember that.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
We are finishing day 14 on the road .... we have logged on 5,100 miles thus far. Mileage has been as high as 27.4 at 60 MPH, but anything over 75 MPH will net you around 21 -23 MPG, depending on winds. 70 MPH seems to be the "sweet spot" with the Traverse .....making good time without losing all the good MPG numbers. We have been into elevations of 12,000 feet, have had 19% inclines, the Traverse has performed in a flawless and able manner.
As I wrote before TBT has been a problem the entire trip. In Wyoming the TBT stopped downloading to our vehicle. Tech assistance (Tim ) was able to do something yesterday ( Saturday ) to get it up and running again. It has worked Saturday and now on Sunday.
You folks north of the border in Canada ...hear this. Some of the navigator advisors are less than knowledgeable, some are rude, some hang up ... it has been a challenge. However, a young lady from Toronto, named Shannon, is the navigation advisor of the year, in our book. When our TBT was totally out, she supplied us with taped directions, made hotel reservations for us, contacted tech support for us, actually spent 20 to 30 minutes with us the other day.
Onstar has centers in Toronto, Detroit and a city in South Carolina. She was the most polite, compassionate , helpful person we have met on Onstar, and she is a Canadian! Way to go up there, folks.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Glad she was so accomodating. But don't be fooled, we have our share of dimwits up here too! ;D

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I just put new bearings in my camper and did my first test tow with the Traverse. I only have small 17ft open pop up but the Traverse pulls it like it's not even there.

I was also able to see out the factory mirrors well. I just washed the camper when it is dry it is going up to be packed for our vacation down south.

Don't worry Traverse gets it's bath next ha ha.

I defiantly see a bigger camper in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't wait to get back home and drive mine. It's been more than 5 months, just under 2 left out here in Afghanistan... :'(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts