Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I am new to the forum so forgive me if I am not posting in the proper area. I have a 2018 Traverse, I recently had the dealership install a hitch, I then went in and installed the ride control switch with the tow option that I ordered from GMPartsDirect.com. Now when attempting to use the selector to select the tow option, the tow option is bypassed and the ride selector goes back to x2 for the normal drive mode. Does anyone have have any other experience with this? does that dealer have to reprogram something? Thanks in advance for any support.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
No re-programming was required for the 1st gen's tow/haul switch.

A couple folks with 2nd gen's have said they installed a new ride control switch with the tow/haul function, but they did not report any problems with it. Yours is the first post I've seen stating an issue with the new switch.

Are you sure you purchased the correct one? You should have gotten one from one of the top 4 rows below:

PN
84547760with awdwith trailer pkgwith lane departure
84547756with awdwith trailer pkgw/o lane departure
84547758w/o awdwith trailer pkgwith lane departure
84547754w/o awdwith trailer pkgw/o lane departure
84246496with awdw/o trailer pkgwith lane departure
84547755with awdw/o trailer pkgw/o lane departure
84547757w/o awdw/o trailer pkgwith lane departure
84547753w/o awdw/o trailer pkgw/o lane departure

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have had 84547756 but I was informed that it was replaced by 84772674, not sure what the change was but the part number has been updated.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
OK. Not much more I can do to help you. If you do figure it out, be sure to come back and let us know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the newer part number for the 2WD version ending in 2676 and the tow mode doesn't work. Not sure if its tied to the wiring harness somehow or in the computer that lets it know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon, I am new to the forum so forgive me if I am not posting in the proper area. I have a 2018 Traverse, I recently had the dealership install a hitch, I then went in and installed the ride control switch with the tow option that I ordered from GMPartsDirect.com. Now when attempting to use the selector to select the tow option, the tow option is bypassed and the ride selector goes back to x2 for the normal drive mode. Does anyone have have any other experience with this? does that dealer have to reprogram something? Thanks in advance for any support.
How do you remove the original switch? I have a 2019 and want to try this out as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never mind it pops right out. Haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you remove the original switch? I have a 2019 and want to try this out as well. Thanks.
I’m curious if the missing wires would be there if towing package came from factory...? Getting a security error when uploading photos. Top row is missing first 3 on left side and bottom row is missing #4,6,8 from left side.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I’m curious if the missing wires would be there if towing package came from factory...? Getting a security error when uploading photos. Top row is missing first 3 on left side and bottom row is missing #4,6,8 from left side.
Not quite sure what you're asking, but I'd be surprised if any wires were missing. It's not cost-efficient to make separate wiring harnesses to the switch, one for V92 and one without. They just deal with it via software in the BCM if they want to. Also, they tend to use standard connectors, so if they only need 5 wires, they might use a 6 pin connector. Or 6 wires, they may use an 8 pin connector, etc. A number of people have swapped out the switches, so I'm guessing if the new switch doesn't work, it's in the software. I'm guessing they're getting smart and they want you to come in and pay to get the software updated. Of course, I COULD be wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping to revive this post. I am attempting to add towing to our 2020 Traverse LT.
The story so far:
Didn't even think about towing when we bought in November 2020. Now we want a travel trailer. Called the Chevy owned dealer we bought from about adding on the package, got referred to the Chevy app = unhelpful. Called a local franchised dealer, had a nice long conversation with a mechanic/parts guy that said it couldn't be done. Searched the traverseforum pages, learned more, called the franchise dealer back. The same guy was then super helpful, had done some research on his own, but told me no one on hi team had ever done it, so it could cost a lot in labor because it would just be hourly tinkering, not set job rates. He did quote for the radiator upgrade, cooling fan upgrade, hitch attachment, and labor. The ride switch was the only one he wouldn't quote labor because he didn't know if it would work. So I searched traverseforums more, saw Nickhead said the ride switch just pops out. Ordered the part from GM parts club. They sent me the ride switch that matches my vin, not the one I wanted (originally sent 2675, needed 2676). Emailed gm parts club, super helpful employee called me back, explaining why they sent it, saying the switch 2676 wouldn't work because my traverse doesn't have the RPO code V92 (trailer provisions). He then sent me a list of my VIN broken down and all RPO codes I should have (pretty cool). I told him I really appreciated it, but wanted the 2676 switch anyways, so he sent me return labels and switch the part for me. Popped the old one out, plugged the new one in. But have the same issue as the discussion starter. The switch toggle just skips over the tow option.

So questions, that hopefully someone can help with:
Has anyone successfully added a complete tow package yet??
Does the franchise dealers recommendations make sense? (HD radiator, cooling fans, and hitch)
Would the recommendations, if added, allow us to tow a 4000lb travel trailer even if the ride switch doesn't work?
Could the switch not respond since there isn't trailer wiring attached, meaning, it isn't plugged into anything on the back end, so it knows it doesn't need to work?
Can you pay to get the software to respond, as theorized by greentraverse?

(few additonal notes: not worried about warranty stuff, don't have the trailer yet, could always go lighter than 4000lbs, I live in CA, so I need a trailer brake too, any recommendations for a trailer brake? I've read many forums spanning from comments about European sedans towing 3000lbs through mountains, to the towing capacity is rated for mountain towing at 12hours/day, to the traverse is terrible at towing and it's not recommended unless the package is added completely).

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
See my comments below:

Hoping to revive this post. I am attempting to add towing to our 2020 Traverse LT.
The story so far:
Didn't even think about towing when we bought in November 2020. Now we want a travel trailer. Called the Chevy owned dealer we bought from about adding on the package, got referred to the Chevy app = unhelpful. Called a local franchised dealer, had a nice long conversation with a mechanic/parts guy that said it couldn't be done. Searched the traverseforum pages, learned more, called the franchise dealer back. The same guy was then super helpful, had done some research on his own, but told me no one on hi team had ever done it, so it could cost a lot in labor because it would just be hourly tinkering, not set job rates. He did quote for the radiator upgrade, cooling fan upgrade, hitch attachment, and labor. The ride switch was the only one he wouldn't quote labor because he didn't know if it would work. So I searched traverseforums more, saw Nickhead said the ride switch just pops out. Ordered the part from GM parts club. They sent me the ride switch that matches my vin, not the one I wanted (originally sent 2675, needed 2676). Emailed gm parts club, super helpful employee called me back, explaining why they sent it, saying the switch 2676 wouldn't work because my traverse doesn't have the RPO code V92 (trailer provisions). He then sent me a list of my VIN broken down and all RPO codes I should have (pretty cool). I told him I really appreciated it, but wanted the 2676 switch anyways, so he sent me return labels and switch the part for me. Popped the old one out, plugged the new one in. But have the same issue as the discussion starter. The switch toggle just skips over the tow option.

So questions, that hopefully someone can help with:
Has anyone successfully added a complete tow package yet??
Yes, a number of folks have done it, with mixed results on the mode switch and the brake controller.

Does the franchise dealers recommendations make sense? (HD radiator, cooling fans, and hitch)
You can install an aux oil cooler instead of the HD radiator. Maybe somewhat cheaper. The jury is out on the fans. parts places show a towing and non-towing set of fans, but they are shown with a shroud, so it is unclear if they are really different fans, or if they just have a different shroud that might be necessary for bolting to the HD radiator. Obviously, you need a hitch.

Would the recommendations, if added, allow us to tow a 4000lb travel trailer even if the ride switch doesn't work?
If the travel trailer is REALLY 4K lbs orless, you might be OK if the mode switch didn't work. BUT: Don't quote me a "dry weight" of 4000 lbs. (Dry weights are marketing ploys for the ignorant.) No 4000 lb dry weight trailer EVER weighed that, even coming off the line. And by the time you've loaded it up, you'll be very close to 5000 lbs. If it's a dry weight 4k, you either need to find a smaller trailer or a bigger tow vehicle. GM won't warrant anything >1500 lbs if not factory-installed.

Could the switch not respond since there isn't trailer wiring attached, meaning, it isn't plugged into anything on the back end, so it knows it doesn't need to work?
I can't answer this question. No one who's reported the issue has reported a fix. It's possible that it's because there's no trailer attached, but it could also be that the BCM needs programming. If you have the ability to plug in a trailer, you might find it works. But I don't know. My Silverado has an integrated brake controller and it knows when the trailer is hooked up because it sends a small current through the brake wire. No trailer, no current flow. So it knows there's no trailer. But since the Traverse doesn't have an integrated brake controller, I doubt it's smart enough to know when there's a trailer attached. I'd bet on the BCM programming.

Can you pay to get the software to respond, as theorized by greentraverse?
No one has reported doing this, but I don't know why it couldn't be done.

(few additonal notes: not worried about warranty stuff, don't have the trailer yet, could always go lighter than 4000lbs, I live in CA, so I need a trailer brake too, any recommendations for a trailer brake? I've read many forums spanning from comments about European sedans towing 3000lbs through mountains, to the towing capacity is rated for mountain towing at 12hours/day, to the traverse is terrible at towing and it's not recommended unless the package is added completely).
I used a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller. It worked very well.
Almost everything can be added yourself if you're at all handy with tools and wires. The hardest thing is the HD radiator/aux oil cooler; you could farm that out to someone. If you want a bunch of info on adding the tow package, PM me your email address.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts