Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned today that GM is doing a “straight repurchase” of our 2019 Premier Redline Traverse after just 11,000 miles. After a torque converter replacement, ECM replacement, and twice having the brake system go out, they have concluded the vehicle is no longer safe for the road and will not repair or let us have the vehicle back. Has anyone gone through this? I assume this is essentially the same as a lemon law claim. Any comments on similar experiences would be appreciated. Just not sure exactly how this plays out.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Been there, done that with my sister's '04 Crossfire, after months of numerous repairs even the German's at the manufacturer, Mercedes, couldn't figure out and solve all the electrical problems.

A true buy back is where the manufacturer gives 100% credit of the original MSRP against deduction from the MSRP of an equivalent or greater priced vehicle, the buyer to make up any difference in between the two. In our case the MSRP of the new '05 Crossfire was $174 greater than the '04 so the final cost was $174 plus State taxes on $174 and costs related to title, registration and transfer of plates.

As a side note......be careful you don't get screwed by the State, i.e. some States require paying tax on the entire new purchase prices instead of the differential between the price of the new car against the trade. At time the '04 was purchased in MD which required full tax, but since it was a manufacturer's buy back good at any Chrysler dealer the '05 replacement vehicle was obtained in FL which only taxes the differential in purchase price.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Been there, done that
...but since it was a manufacturer's buy back good at any Chrysler dealer the '05 replacement vehicle was obtained in FL which only taxes the differential in purchase price.

should read ..... '05 replacement vehicle was obtained and registered in FL which only taxes the differential in purchase price.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You really did not get lucky with your '19 Traverse. Good luck. You deserve a replacement. Cannot figure a vehicule that has been in production since 2018 can go with so many issues like yours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still waiting on details of the buyback. 5 weeks without the vehicle at this point. They initially offered a replacement vehicle and didn't mention anything about a repurchase. Only after visiting with an attorney did we learn that a repurchase was possible. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'm still trying to get my head around this to dangerous for the road and "won't let you have the vehicle back" bull$hit. Only point I can see is if financed by GMAC as the the primary leinholder in which case they should forego any payments including finance charges. If owned outright or financed independently, likely owner has a legal right to demand the vehicle back free of any written release or charge the dealer with theft. How can a dealer that is too incompetent to repair it properly instead determine that it is unsafe for the road?

Other point I can't get my head around is how anyone can let the dealer hang onto a new vehicle for 5 weeks leaving him in limbo waiting for a response. If a buy back the dealer should have paperwork documenting the request within a day .... may require a factory field rep visit which should also be documented in contemporary paperwork.......certainly not 5 weeks.

An offer of replacement is a dealer level decision and can be done immediately. The moment the dealer offered a replacement it should have been OK, fork over your offer for a test ride - and explain your rationale for determining equivalency of value or better.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
You really did not get lucky with your '19 Traverse. Good luck. You deserve a replacement. Cannot figure a vehicle that has been in production since 2018 can go with so many issues like yours.

I can....not just luck....competence is also important. Pulling a TC is no joke requiring separation of engine and transmission assemblies in a cramped transverse configuration and lots of other lines, wiring and other crap require removal and assembly. The question you have to ask yourself every time you being in a vehicle for service is "Are they capable of repairing the complaint item without screwing up two or three other systems making the repair?" Follow an improper procedure or use a shortcut or use an improperly trained mechanic and it is a fix one system and damage two or three others deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...now they tell us it will be another week and a half and by then they HOPE to have an “offer” for repurchase. GM just lost me for life as a customer. That will be nearly 7 weeks without the vehicle. Do I seek the assistance of an attorney? This has gone well beyond what anyone would consider a reasonable amount of time to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Always afraid to bring a vehicule to the dealer for repairs. Missing bolts, washers and nuts, scratches on the body pinch weld damaged by the lift and the list has no ending

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update...now they tell us it will be another week and a half and by then they HOPE to have an “offer” for repurchase. GM just lost me for life as a customer. That will be nearly 7 weeks without the vehicle. Do I seek the assistance of an attorney? This has gone well beyond what anyone would consider a reasonable amount of time to resolve the issue.
have patience it took a full year for gm to buy back our 2005 Silverado from the day they actually agreed to buy it back. it was to our benefit we ended up with a 2006 brand new and our loan stayed the same. so we had a brand new truck that we already paid a year on plus we ended up with some cash back from gm.
just so happens they lowered the prices for 2006 so we got a fully load truck for less then our 2005.
have patience it hopefully it will workout the same for you.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Always afraid to bring a vehicule to the dealer for repairs. Missing bolts, washers and nuts, scratches on the body pinch weld damaged by the lift and the list has no ending

Ain't this the truth!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
have patience it took a full year for gm to buy back our 2005 Silverado from the day they actually agreed to buy it back. it was to our benefit we ended up with a 2006 brand new and our loan stayed the same. so we had a brand new truck that we already paid a year on plus we ended up with some cash back from gm.
just so happens they lowered the prices for 2006 so we got a fully load truck for less then our 2005.
have patience it hopefully it will workout the same for you.

A full year? Maybe that works if you still have possession of the vehicle, but not if like the OP the dealer confiscates it because it is too dangerous to drive and sticks you with some POS low line loaner, absent many of the features you purchased a vehicle for in the first place.

A full year? I moved back to Chevy after 20 years of Chryslers because the bodies were made like $hit. But after 5 months of repeat electrical screwups, wiring harness and splices failed to fix the problem, dealer documented and submitted request, even Chrysler stepped up and in less than one month we had a confirmed buy back authorization good for the full MSRP credit against the same nameplate vehicles at any dealership. And my sister replaced the '05 Crossfire hardtop with a more expensive '06 Crossfire convertible and dealer only charged her half the difference in MSRPs so she essentially got the rag top roof for half price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had we taken a replacement Traverse (which was an option), the process would have moved along more quickly. Because I definitely don’t want another one, the straight repurchase was my best option, but it is taking longer than expected. And the minute I chose my money back over replacement, the dealer I bought the Traverse at took back my loaner vehicle, leaving us short a vehicle. I’ve asked Chevrolet for a loaner repeatedly and they ignore me. So we’ve been borrowing vehicles and having family members help out. This isn’t my idea of customer service, and I will be happy to be done with GM once this ordeal is finalized.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Had we taken a replacement Traverse (which was an option), the process would have moved along more quickly. Because I definitely don’t want another one, the straight repurchase was my best option, but it is taking longer than expected. And the minute I chose my money back over replacement, the dealer I bought the Traverse at took back my loaner vehicle, leaving us short a vehicle. I’ve asked Chevrolet for a loaner repeatedly and they ignore me. So we’ve been borrowing vehicles and having family members help out. This isn’t my idea of customer service, and I will be happy to be done with GM once this ordeal is finalized.

What!! you now describe is a whole different animal........ate my Wheaties today so saddle up.......here's my comment and your not going to like it. Re: "Had we taken a replacement Traverse (which was an option), the process would have moved along more quickly....".

What you are describing is not replacement or buyback...a repurchase, what the heck is that?...what you are describing buyer's remorse cash refund! You made a choice and bought a Traverse....they agreed to a replacement Traverse.....now after driving it, it became defective and instead of as replacement you want a cash refund. This type of return process doesn't work for bad tasting bubble gum and may not work for a car. At 10,000 a month rolling off the lines, plenty of happy customers with the Traverse - it's not the dealer's fault or GM's responsibility to provide you with cash to buy a Ford or KIA as a replacement instead of a replacement Traverse......I believe the owner's papers in the glove box detail their obligations to you.

Here's my .02........ I wouldn't blame any of them for dragging feet and jerking you off. And should they agree to hard cash back be prepared for them to deduct depreciation on the mileage used and/or physical damage to the vehicle. And I wouldn't waste time or money on a hiring a lawyer, evidently the dealer already agreed to make you whole with a replacement vehicle which you refused.......doubt it would get past arbitration.

But, that's me...........perhaps I've developed the wrong attitude after a lifetime of schooling, I hold an advanced degree from the University of Hard Knocks. At this point it is not a matter of if you are done with GM, but a matter of how GM wants to be done with you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can....not just luck....competence is also important. Pulling a TC is no joke requiring separation of engine and transmission assemblies in a cramped transverse configuration and lots of other lines, wiring and other crap require removal and assembly. The question you have to ask yourself every time you being in a vehicle for service is "Are they capable of repairing the complaint item without screwing up two or three other systems making the repair?" Follow an improper procedure or use a shortcut or use an improperly trained mechanic and it is a fix one system and damage two or three others deal.
You are spot on! I believe many times the reason these cars have so many issues is because the mechanics at the dealership screw up other things because they don't know what they're doing. Many are parts replacers and don't do much if any diagnostics to ensure they fix the problem correctly.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Agree with you 100%. I stay Away from the garages as much as I can unless necessary. Many mechanics needs a constant updating on the way to fix the new generation of vehicules .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts