Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Traverse LS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to access the interior lighting bulbs in a 2020 traverse? I figured out how to pop off the clear plastic piece that covers the bulb but I can’t get the bulb out that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind I pulled the whole unit down and after taking it apart it looks like you can’t replace the bulbs you actually have to buy a whole new unit cause from what it looks like the bulbs are soldered to a circuitboard.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Never mind I pulled the whole unit down and after taking it apart it looks like you can’t replace the bulbs you actually have to buy a whole new unit cause from what it looks like the bulbs are soldered to a circuitboard.
Wow! I hope the LED bulbs on mine have the long life they're are advertised to have. I guess this is another example of the engineering department attempting to make owner maintenance as difficult as possible. (In my 2012 Camaro, in order to replace the 3rd brake light you have to remove the door sills, the plastic trim around the rear quarter window, the rear seats, and the rear package shelf in order to access the light. IT also has a horror story process for accessing the in tank fuel pump, and another for removing/replacing the HVAC mixture flapper in the dash. Fortunately there are hacks to remedy the latter two.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! I hope the LED bulbs on mine have the long life they're are advertised to have. I guess this is another example of the engineering department attempting to make owner maintenance as difficult as possible. (In my 2012 Camaro, in order to replace the 3rd brake light you have to remove the door sills, the plastic trim around the rear quarter window, the rear seats, and the rear package shelf in order to access the light. IT also has a horror story process for accessing the in tank fuel pump, and another for removing/replacing the HVAC mixture flapper in the dash. Fortunately there are hacks to remedy the latter two.)
I feel like they are trying to make things as difficult as possible to access in hope that we bring it in for them to fix just to earn a few more dollars 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
408 Posts
Absolutely. For example, the HVAC blend door flapper in the Camaro: The factory/dealer prescribed procedure is to remove the dash. In order to remove the dash, you have to remove the windshield because the center retaining bolt is about an inch longer than the clearance for removal--it comes out vertically, from the top of the dash, and it hits the windshield before all the threads disengage from the retaining nut. However, the HACK SOLUTION: once dash cover is removed, use a small diameter cut-off wheel and cut the excess from the bolt, then remove the bolt from the top, without removing the windshield. A shorter bolt from the factory would have totally eliminated the windshield removal requirement.

Another example: I had a 1999 GMC Sonoma that the dealership said needed a new fuel pump (in tank pump) and it required dropping the rear end in order to drop the tank. I told them, "No, thanks! I'll take out four bolts and remove the bed of the pickup and hav direct access to the tank.

I'm sure there are other horror stories regarding designs that are aimed at increasing dealer maintenance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely. For example, the HVAC blend door flapper in the Camaro: The factory/dealer prescribed procedure is to remove the dash. In order to remove the dash, you have to remove the windshield because the center retaining bolt is about an inch longer than the clearance for removal--it comes out vertically, from the top of the dash, and it hits the windshield before all the threads disengage from the retaining nut. However, the HACK SOLUTION: once dash cover is removed, use a small diameter cut-off wheel and cut the excess from the bolt, then remove the bolt from the top, without removing the windshield. A shorter bolt from the factory would have totally eliminated the windshield removal requirement.

Another example: I had a 1999 GMC Sonoma that the dealership said needed a new fuel pump (in tank pump) and it required dropping the rear end in order to drop the tank. I told them, "No, thanks! I'll take out four bolts and remove the bed of the pickup and hav direct access to the tank.

I'm sure there are other horror stories regarding designs that are aimed at increasing dealer maintenance.
Haha! You are a lot more car savvy then I am but your point is right on. All I wanted to do was add a ice blue color to my interior lighting by simply exchanging the bulbs and I was very disappointed after a good day and a half trying to figure out how to even access the bulbs that i can’t do that 😔

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, so I have a 2012 Chevy Traverse LT. I have replaced ALL interior lights with white LED however, the DVD player in the middle seat is amber lights and I cannot figure out how to pop it down to change out the lights. I have removed the DVD screen, and can't find where to do it. Am I missing something here? I saw a picture that showed that it just pops down and all however, it won't just pull down and I am afraid of breaking something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts