Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the driver's front tire on my 09 FWD Traverse. Fortunately (or unfortunatly), my tires only have 8300 miles on them so the difference in tread should be minimal. My questions are this:
1. Should I put the new tire on the front or on the rear to let it get broken in?
2. Where is the TPMS located and will it have to be replaced? I am having the work done by my favorite tire shop but I am afraid that the sensor will get damged when the old tire is removed and the new tire get mounted.

As it stands now, the screw that punctured the tire in the wrong place (outer tread near sidewall) is costing me $240 for a new tire. I am hoping to avoid an equally expensive trip to the dealer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW: New to this forum.

·
Registered
860 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.

But you're getting screwed at $240 (even for a Goodyear Fortera) for a new tire even with mounting/balancing/tax. Have the tire shop measure the tread depth on one of the good three tires you have and compare it to a new tire. They may try and sell you a pair of tires, but I suspect that you may be able to get by just purchasing one.

EDIT: I just looked at Discount Tire Direct and they're wanting $259 for a Fortera!! Last time I checked they were $180!! I guess the new tire import tax has officially been implemented... :angryfire:

You probably want to go ahead and rotate tires now (depending on mileage since your last rotation) and put that new one on the back of the vehicle until your next rotation.

TPMS--not sure about this one, but my tire shop damaged one of my LTZ wheels (with 200 miles on it) and had to replace it. No problems with the sensor. Tire shops are used to dealing with TPMS systems so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
There is no reason that the TPM sensor should get damaged. Any tire shop should know to be careful. They are generally located on the centre of the rim. Hard to explain.

$240 sounds about right I'm guessing. You would obviously get a better price to replace 4, instead of 1, but you only need 1.

What are you getting? Another Fortera? I guess that would make the most amount of sense.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm hoping there are more options available in the 18" tires by the time ours will need to be replaced. Pretty slim pickings right now :(

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
the TPMS sensor is attached to the Air Valve where you put air into the tire.
Just to be safe- I would mention to the tire shop that you have a TPMS sensor.
(You can search on ebay for pics of TPMS sensor to see what they look like).
I would call around and look for the lowest price fortera.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would put the new tire on the rear. The difference in tread could possible be felt in steering.

Also, check prices with a GM dealer. They can sell you replacement tires and at least you can compare prices. A local dealer here advertises he can beat any price on an oem tires.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
rbarrios said:
the TPMS sensor is attached to the Air Valve where you put air into the tire.
Just to be safe- I would mention to the tire shop that you have a TPMS sensor.
(You can search on ebay for pics of TPMS sensor to see what they look like).
I would call around and look for the lowest price fortera.
Yep, valvestem and TPMS sensor are one in the same on an equipped vehicle. Shouldn't have a problem until / unless you have to replace the rim. Also, is there not a road hazzard on the tires new from the dealership, through the 3yr. / 36,000 warranty period??? I could swear that ours has this, and if so, you would only have to pay for the amount of the tire you used. Example, if you used 20% of the tread on the tire, compared to new, they you would have to pay 20% the price of a new tire. Road hazzard would cover the remainder.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
in all the little booklets you got with the manual-- there should be one for GOODYEAR. that may have all the info you need.
They may prorate the tire? but he does bring up a good point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

First off, thanks for all the replies. They all helped me a great deal. :thumb:

For starters, Goodyear (or whoever supplies my tire shop) sent the wrong tire size on Monday so I had to wait until today (Tuesday) to get the proper tire. The final cost was $229.

My tire shop was very familiar with the TPMS and nothing was damaged. When I got home I re-calibrated the sensors by following the owners manual and it was surprisingly easy to do. Took about 10 minutes total.

Some posts suggested that I check the warranty. First off, our GM warranty does not cover tires at all. Secondly, the Goodyear warranty is only good for 6 months from date of purchase (I bought my Traverse in August 2009) and it does not cover road hazards.

I guess the moral of this story is: A little screw can cause a lot of problems so be careful out there! :happy:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Glad to hear this worked out OK for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you have any issues with just replacing one tire. I recently had to replace one due to multiple nails and something is off. It's not driving right, vibration at higher speeds. Had the tire re-balanced 3 times and still the same thing. Moved it to the front, but not a whole lot better. Chevy says replace the other front so they are the same tire tread. It's an AWD.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
is the tread significantly different in size?
if the new tire had thick tread- and the other 3 have alot less...

the amount of rotation between the new and old can be enough that the stabilitrack system and traction control are sensing that the tires are rotating at different speeds (which makes it think its lost grip).

Ive read of 2 instances of this being posted on other GM forums.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Wow must be the week for tire issues I got a nail in my left front tire and when I started my car it cam up with the message to add air. Anyhow I plugged it myself so we shall hope all goes well

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Oh wow, plugged it yourself.
Ive never done that.... then again- havent had too many nails/screws.
I prefer the patch method if I got a nail.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
i prefer the pacth method too but i have my own plug kit and ive done it on my truck tires before. so im good with fixing it myself and the cost is right

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
techteach said:
Did you have any issues with just replacing one tire. I recently had to replace one due to multiple nails and something is off. It's not driving right, vibration at higher speeds. Had the tire re-balanced 3 times and still the same thing. Moved it to the front, but not a whole lot better. Chevy says replace the other front so they are the same tire tread. It's an AWD.
This is why, unless the tire is almost "new", you should always replace tires in sets, atleast always have the same age/mileage of tire on the same axle. Of course, with warranty issues, this may not be possible unless you purchase one of the tires out right by yourself. Another reason why tire warranties are just a money scheme.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts