Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you could replace the HID bulb and ballast with this bulb from Lasfit, and have it plug directly into the wiring for the ballast?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know if you could replace the HID bulb and ballast with this bulb from Lasfit, and have it plug directly into the wiring for the ballast?

Thanks!
If not, any suggestions on how to hard wire them in? There's not a lot of room inside the headlight assembly...

·
Registered
2020 High Country
291 Posts
The high voltage of the ballast would blow up a led bulb.
When it comes to down the road light output, range, projection, etc. no LED comes close to the HID's.
I've spent money in several applications, snowmobiles, bikes, cars, trucks, etc. and wasted my time playing with LED's and for getting light downrange the LED's don't cut it.
Looking at whiter, brighter output at the headlight is deceiving, it's going down the road is where it's really at. 100 - 200 ft. out leds only light up reflectors and nothing else.
My '20 HC factory LED lights are no where near my other vehicles with HID upgrades on the low beams and on the high beam side the PIAA halogens put way more light down the road .
My old '17 Continental factory LED where the same ''weak'' lighting, lows in town where OK, highs stunk also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I didn't want to do LED unless I could find a pigtail that would connect to the power feeding the ballast. I didn't want to splice in and find power. You are correct, I am looking for brighter light down road. I have tried Nightbreaker Laser and Cool Blue Intense, and have a set of Cool Blue Boost to try yet. I didn't think the NIghtbreaker put that much more out, and really made it distracting when I had the fogs on (which were replaced with Lasfit LED). The CBI is a little better, but I've read that CBB is brighter, so we'll see.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lighting is a tricky engineering issue. The ability to project light great distances is a function of bulb/light intensity, reflector design, and placement of the bulb in proper relationship to the foci of the reflector. Changing the bulb (changing the intensity) may or may not give you increased distance; higher intensity of a bulb that has an altered location within the foci of the reflector will not necessarily give increased light projection down the road. Arbitrarily changing a bulb is a hit or miss prospect. JMHO

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've been replacing the bulbs with osram factory equivalents, so I'd hoped that the placement of the bulb would be similar and just change the Kelvin rating.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Changing the Kelvin rating just changes the color of the light being produced. Lumens are the measure of the light output and are usually proportional to the wattage of the bulb--as long as you are comparing similar bulbs (i.e., LED to LED, HID to HID, incandescent to incandescent, etc). Lumens are universal across types of bulbs and allow comparing incandescent to HID or LED. Kelvin is also universal in comparing across bulb types.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep I understand that, but, to the naked eye a whiter bulb can appear brighter. All of the osram bulbs are listed at the same lumens, but the Kelvin and lux are tested to increase together.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
291 Posts
When getting into the high Kelvin the bluer lights are not as reflective back to the eye especially when trying to illuminate the road side browns of trees, bushes, etc. .
They look nice viewing the housing but that's one of the reasons most OEM's stay below 6000k, more closer to 5000k.
LED output is still limited in single bulb units. That's why some OEM have multi emitter housings so they can get the output of a 55/60w bulb.
Aftermarket is playing catch up finally with heat sink units. I'm not a fan of fan cooled as all that road dust just gets pumped in the ''bulb''.
Like c&w said most reflectors are designed for the 360 deg. output of a filament bulb not the directional output of a high power LED so usable light is actually reduced. They try to mimic the filament with those ''jeweled'' LED bulbs but those muti little LED are not high power and short lived due to heat.
I've tried a lot of bulbs over the years including high wattage incandescent years ago.
Lots of ''marketing'' numbers from the mfgrs. on their products that don't live up to the claims.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this point I'm no longer interested in swapping the HID bulb's for LED. I've swapped the fogs out for Lasfit LED's and am very happy with that decision, but will just try out the difference in upgrading the factory Osram D3S's. I appreciate all of the feedback you guys have provided!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with repairman54. Even though you made your choice.

I have both types, OEM LED headlights on the Traverse and 5K HID on my 09 Colorado, both with Lasfit LED fog lights. My Traverse LED's are whiter, if you're looking at the LED's, looking outward from driving, they are more disbursed while my HID's on my Colorado are ever so slightly less white but has a greater reach to see farther ahead. I chose not to use LED's for that purpose on my Colorado. Driving on the back roads in my truck with the 5K HIDs is outstanding and even more outstanding once I added the Lasfit LED fog lights! I did however, replaced my OEM high beams with Lasfit LED high beams which are plug and play. As you may know, some LED's do come with ballast as do all HID's. Lasfit's do not come with ballast, they are plug n play.

Keep us posted on your pick and post pictures.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
291 Posts
This is what I have been using for several years in the fogs in my Tahoe and what is currently in my Traverse. At least 3-4 yrs. in my Tahoe with no issues which gets a lot of 4-5 hr. nighttime road trips.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same here; PSX24W 6500K for fogs. On my Colorado I used DD SL1 before I switched to Lasfit. I am using DD HID 5K kit and couldn't be happier. I tried the 6k HIDs but was not as happy so I returned. IMO the 6k were whiter with a very - very hint of blue but seemed to lack the coverage of the 5k. Kind of losing its ability to cover further distance but better closer to the truck... My preference was further for oncoming critters. Combined with Lasfit...mucho better.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just made an upgrade for my own.
Using the bulbs:

These retain the original HID ballast and work perfectly fine.
Been running with them for about 2 weeks without a single issue.
Lighting has improved significantly especially on the high beams.
How was the install on these? Can you hear the fan on em running after you shut the car off? They low and high beams? Thx!

·
Registered
5 Posts
How was the install on these? Can you hear the fan on em running after you shut the car off? They low and high beams? Thx!
Installation was quite straightforward.
To my surprise I was able to access the lights from the top.
The only challenge was accessing the bolts on the ballasts but with an Allan key and some patience it worked out.

Regarding the fan operation:
Yes these are very audible. The active cooling fans create a buzzing noise as they run.
But it can only be heard outside the vehicle.
Yes the fan can be heard for as long as the lights stay on.
But, I'm not at all bothered by them.
Ps. I also used LEDs for my fog lamps as well and got used to the idea at that point.
So now, this is something I'm used to and not really concerned about at this point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts