Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that single part on the bottom of the front air dam, can it be removed? For like going off road and stuff so that is doesnt get scratched or torn off?

·
Registered
113 Posts
You are going to "off road" with your Traverse??? lmao...why not get an ATV??

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
On most cars- that piece way at the bottom- that easily flexes on steep driveways- does easily come off.
Most are held in place by a bunch of pushbotton type clips....

·
Registered
78 Posts
That air dam is there for a purpose - to improve fuel economy.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
but it seems he needs to remove it so it wont be damaged while hes off paved roads....
but yes- it does aid in aerodynamics-- and fuel consumption

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my family's driving style isnt the "Fuel-economic" type considering when I checked the DIC, it said 10.8 average fuel economy. And we dont mind that so yeah. And by off road I mean mostly sand. Like hills of sand and over fallen branches and such. No large rocks dont worry :angel:

Has anyone else here gone Off-Pavement with their Trav? We have to drive on dirt and grass every day because of where we park at work. There are even small hills and large holes too. But like, going to the beach and such.

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I'd like to know if anyone can report more definitively on whether or not this can be easily removed. No snide comments about "the dam is there for a reason" please. I know it gives you an extra tenth of a mile per gallon (that's an actual number), and I don't care. It looks ridiculous, and the thing is lower than most curbs that I park against. I'd rather remove it myself than have it torn off as I back out of a spot in the parking lot.

A

·
0 Posts
Matno said:
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I'd like to know if anyone can report more definitively on whether or not this can be easily removed. No snide comments about "the dam is there for a reason" please. I know it gives you an extra tenth of a mile per gallon (that's an actual number), and I don't care. It looks ridiculous, and the thing is lower than most curbs that I park against. I'd rather remove it myself than have it torn off as I back out of a spot in the parking lot.
I don't think anyone has removed this part before

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've replaced the lower air dam on my Outlook - it's the same procedure on the Traverse, according to the Service Manual.

You'll need to remove the front wheels, then remove the front portion of the fender liners. Once the fender liners are removed, you'll be able to access the 14 push rivets that hold the air dam to the lower fascia. Once the push rivets are removed, the air dam is pulled forward, to disengage the tabs from the lower fascia.

The only difficult part is removing the push rivets, 1st on the fender liners, and then for the air dam. I'm sure there is a specialized tool that grasps the head of the push rivet to pull it up, but I didn't have it - I used a flat bladed screwdriver. I mangled a few during removal, but for the ones in the air dam - I pushed on the tail end of the rivet to pop it out (up).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts