Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am THIS close to having my HID lights installed. I purchased the rely which allows the HID's to run off my battery so it will not fry the factory wiring, everything is going smooth, besides the length of time to install!

I have hit an issue, I need to run the HID to the positive battery terminal under the hood, however I can not remove this bolt for the life of me! See the attached pic. If I twist too hard I feel like it will break off at the base, however I tried my hardest to move it and couldn't anyway. Tried every tool I could think of with no luck. Anyone have any ideas how to get this off? Maybe something I can use to lube it up? I dont have any high end tools.... I am bummed to get this close to firing these bad boys up and I hit this snag!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So my next question is I was able to fire up the HID's using the factory wiring instead of the rely, they look sweet by the way! So.... Is it safe over time to use the factory wiring, or will it burn it out because there is too much power running thru them? I am no expert and thought the rely would be better, however I was told most new cars will be fine with the extra power running thru the wires. To be safe I just figured the direct fire off the battery would be better, if I went with the factory wiring the install would be alot cleaner as I do not have to run wires from the battery terminal to the ballast.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Somebody burned the wiring on their Acadia with a 100W replacement bulb. Not sure how much juice the HID takes, but might not be a good idea.

·
Registered
115 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Somebody burned the wiring on their Acadia with a 100W replacement bulb. Not sure how much juice the HID takes, but might not be a good idea.
I was under the impression that HID's actually have a lower current draw than an incandescent. I don't know if that is true or not. Do your documents mention a wattage of the HID's? I'd compare that to OEM power and see if there is much of a difference.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
The wattage or current draw may be listed on the ballast. Then you have to compare that to the original bulbs. My guess is that you will need to use the relay that came with it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a feeling that you've got this figured out, but I'd try supporting the base against the twisting somehow. A bit of heat from a heat gun may loosen it up. Don't melt anything, of course!

·
Registered
158 Posts
HID's draw less power than standard OEM bulbs. You won't have an issue running them without the relay. Had HID's in my last 3 Avalanches for 2 years each with no issues. Enjoy them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts