Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible? I need to pop mine off because my toddler child seat has a high back so the "tilt forwardness" of the 2nd row headrest is preventing the child seat back to rest properly on the seat.

I tried finding a little button and there doesn't appear to be one and I kind of reefed on it, but didn't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Does tilting the 2nd row all the way back improve the relationship of the two seats?

Would trimming a piece out of the back of the headrest on the child seat work? It may if you don't think it compromises the seat's safety, and didn't change how the seat fit in other cars.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
You are not allowed to do any modifications to a carseat. At least not in Canada, and I would assume the same rules exist in the USA. I know what you mean about the headrest. I tried the carseat in the Traverse before we ordered ours too. It did hit the headrest, but when I tilted the chair back it was fine. Also, our carseat has the ability to recline, so make sure its in the most upright position.

I don't understand why the headrests are not removable, or at least adjustable. I'm 6'8", and the headrests are useless for me with out adjustment. I think that is a design flaw in the Traverse.

Hopefully you can figure something out. If you do, be sure to post back here!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quantum said:
I don't understand why the headrests are not removable, or at least adjustable. I'm 6'8", and the headrests are useless for me with out adjustment. I think that is a design flaw in the Traverse.
If they're "tall in the torso" rather than "long of leg", I could see the non adjustable 2nd row headsets being dangerous, hitting a tall person at the base of their skull.

·
Registered
43 Posts
snomon said:
Is this possible? I need to pop mine off because my toddler child seat has a high back so the "tilt forwardness" of the 2nd row headrest is preventing the child seat back to rest properly on the seat.

I tried finding a little button and there doesn't appear to be one and I kind of reefed on it, but didn't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance!
I believe that I read a long time ago. That if you press down the seat back around the headrest "poles" that there is a clip that can be removed allowing you to remove the headrest. I think I remember this or I just made it up. :drunk:

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
odypilots said:
If they're "tall in the torso" rather than "long of leg", I could see the non adjustable 2nd row headsets being dangerous, hitting a tall person at the base of their skull.
That's me! 6'8", with a 34" inseam!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Quantum said:
That's me! 6'8", with a 34" inseam!
Wow, thats tall! I am just under 6'5" and I hardly ever see anyone taller. I dont have any issues with my headrest, nor do we have an issue with the two car seats in the captain chairs. However I do agree that any headrest in the second row should be able to be removed, or at least raised. The car seats do not fit in my jeep because I cannot get the headrests up or off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are looking at the seat from the front, there is a plastic washer between the top of the seat and the headrest on the posts. Below the washer on each post, about 1/2 inch, there is little metal lever sticking out. The levers may be hidden by the upholstry. Turn both of these levers towards the inside of the seat and then you should be able to pull the headrest out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you google! It worked. There are 2 small wire 'springs' buried in the upholstery. They engage small notches in the chrome posts. Push them away from the posts and the headrest will slide up. Difficult to do with only 2 hands but you can work up one side at a time until each notch is cleared. This would be so much easier with 2 people working on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello

Is there anyone that can shed some more light removing theses things?

Just got a 2011 traverse and cannot for the life of me make any sense of the couple of instructions that are listed here. I see the 2 little metal springs, and moved the pm out of the way, but then what? Cant get anything to move. Nothing. What am I missing here?

Any ideas????

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
are you trying to put in a child seat and head rest are in the way?

in case you are......

on the side of the seats- there is a looped 'cloth' handle....
pull on this - and push the seatback-- back.
this will recline the seat....

this may give you the room you need for the child seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
rbarrios said:
are you trying to put in a child seat and head rest are in the way?
No. Just want them removed cuz my wife...who is 4'10" has a hard time seeing out the back even with the seat raised all the way.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I also tried removing them once, but no luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts