Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who can tell me about having a GM remote start installed? One dealer says I have to get the key fob with the LCD @ $690.00 with no other option. The next dealer I went to said "you can't install a remote start on those, it has to be done at the factory"....WTF?

When I purchased the vehicle, the accessory sales guy said I needed this -
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Chevrolet/2009/Traverse/Remote Start/?tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm
part number 19213970
but I had the option to upgrade to the LCD key fob.

If this is my only GM option at 690.00, anyone have another recommendation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
It depends on what trim level you have. I just checked into this. LS and 1LT models cannot have the remote start installed by the dealer. 2LT and LTZ can have them done at the dealer. Before I found out that my dealer couldn't add them to mine (1LT) the installed prices they gave me for adding either the standard remote or the digital one was not over $500. The standard one was about $300. It's frustrating because the only choice you have for the 2 lower trim levels is aftermarket. I am worried about going that route. My dealer recommended someone they use but they told me if anything goes wrong with the electrical GM would not warranty it, obviously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Zubius said:
So who can tell me about having a GM remote start installed? One dealer says I have to get the key fob with the LCD @ $690.00 with no other option. The next dealer I went to said "you can't install a remote start on those, it has to be done at the factory"....WTF?

When I purchased the vehicle, the accessory sales guy said I needed this -
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Chevrolet/2009/Traverse/Remote Start/?tx_gmshopb2b_pi1[type]=gm
part number 19213970
but I had the option to upgrade to the LCD key fob.

If this is my only GM option at 690.00, anyone have another recommendation?
I don't know anything about the Traverse trim levels and what can and cannot have remote start added. But your link is for the LCD Advanced 2-way remote. The cost of the remote and needed additions is $295. The difference would be the cost to install. search the Acadia forum, I know there was discussion on the number of hours a dealer charges for installation, I want to say about 3. Good Luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have a 1lt and got the Advanced 2-Way LCD remote start installed by my dealer. It was built into my total for the car. I believe they charged just under $400 for everything and it took them around 4 hours to install. My only complaint is that the remote is huge, but this is my wife's car so it goes in her purse and she doesn't mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,235 Posts
I was also under the impression that for 2009- the LS and 1LT COULD NOT have the remote start added.
But if the poster above says his was done by a dealer--- then it appears its possible.

Now- on a side note... the 2010 Traverse 1LT-- does have the option to have remote start added at the factory. it comes bundled with the Connections package (remote start, bluetooth, homelink garage door opener) an option I gladly ordered- since its only $300!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Just to clarify, I have a 2009 Traverse 1LT that did not come with factory remote start. When I was in the process of buying the car I specifically asked about getting a GM remote start. I assumed I was getting one with a regular remote start key fob, but I got the Advanced 2-Way LCD. You only get one remote with this accessory, getting a second one will cost you more. Also, I have had aftermarket remote starters in my last 4 vehicles all installed by me. Aftermarket will probably be cheaper and will definitely have more options. The option I miss the most is being able to activate the remote start while the car is running. For example, you go to the convenience store to pick up some milk: you pull up, activate the remote start, pull out your key and lock the door. When you come back out the car is still running and you do not have to start it back up again. I probably used this feature on my previous cars more than just starting the car to warm it up. The factory remote start will not do this. If you do decide to go aftermarket, make sure to ask around for people's past experiences with the shop you choose.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Last week at me dealer they had me look at the potion codes in the glove box. I wish I kept the paper but I need 2 codes for each style of remote (standard and LCD) I didn't have both of the codes. Maybe I will go to another dealer and see what they say. I would love to have it. It does suck that they allow the installation on 2010. I was hoping they would come out with some way to add it. I really want the GM one so it will be covered under the warranty. Maybe Dan the Chevy Man can help us out with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Here is what it shows on the GM accessories web site.

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles Power Liftgate (TB5), but without Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (BTV) 19213971 $ 295.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Manual Liftgate (TB4), but without Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (BTV) 19213970 $ 295.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (AP3, BTV) 19171129 $ 150.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (BTV), and Power Liftgate (TB5) 19156554 $ 150.00

Those of us that have the 2009 1LT without the power liftgate, the 3rd one down, I believe those 2 code AP3 and BTV are what we need in the glove box in order to install the remote start. They didn't show the LCD remote under the accessories section. Can anyone confirm this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
kawazar said:
Here is what it shows on the GM accessories web site.

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles Power Liftgate (TB5), but without Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (BTV) 19213971 $ 295.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Manual Liftgate (TB4), but without Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (BTV) 19213970 $ 295.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (AP3, BTV) 19171129 $ 150.00

2-Way Advanced Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Remote Keyless Entry and Engine Start (BTV), and Power Liftgate (TB5) 19156554 $ 150.00

Those of us that have the 2009 1LT without the power liftgate, the 3rd one down, I believe those 2 code AP3 and BTV are what we need in the glove box in order to install the remote start. They didn't show the LCD remote under the accessories section. Can anyone confirm this?
AP3 is an older GM code for remote start, today's equivalent is BTV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
sorry but i got a base Ls and i did not order with remote start, have the 2-way remote start install by the dealer
the code you need is ap8(is for long range CAPABLE) its not all 09 traverse. ap3 stands for standar remote start factory install. not sure for LT1 but for my Ls they needed to install a senser for the hood that tells the computer its save to remote start if close if the hood is opend cant remote start. all under 500$cnd 5 hour install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the AP8 code. What was the part number they sold you and is it the standard remote(no LCD)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,235 Posts
It seems that this is dependant on the dealer willing to go the extra mile...... hmmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's kinda what I'm sensing also... the bastards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I dont remember the part number going to ask the dealer, i got the lcd remote.
if it helps i got no extra on my LS no electric tailgate no remote starter (non-lcd one) only the remote door locks.
i think that if i remember the 2lt and the ltz already have the hood sensor or if you have remote start like the non-lcd you have the hood sensor so its a differente part and its cheaper if you whant the advance 2-way remote start.

I think they just dont know its possible they have to call GM tech to enable the remote start, plug the truck on the computer Gm tech sends a special code or something like that.
but my dealer said the main problem was the hood sensor that i did not have. thats why it takes 5 hours for the installation.
So just keep on asking its possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I asked 2 dealers. The one I purchased at, the sales manager said the LCD would work. My salesman a month later gave me the option codes and we determined according to his info it wouldn't. But, now that I think about it, we only talked about the standard remote not the LCD. Another dealer close by said we can't add it. That was with using my VIN to determine that. I have a couple of other dealers I'm going to check next week. I'll let everyone know. I just find it hard to believe that they can't add it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
spectra1 said:
sorry but i got a base Ls and i did not order with remote start, have the 2-way remote start install by the dealer
the code you need is ap8(is for long range CAPABLE) its not all 09 traverse. ap3 stands for standar remote start factory install. not sure for LT1 but for my Ls they needed to install a senser for the hood that tells the computer its save to remote start if close if the hood is opend cant remote start. all under 500$cnd 5 hour install.
According to the ordering guide, AP3 is "Remote vehicle start, includes extended range Remote Keyless Entry" and AP8 is "Remote Keyless Entry, programmable with 2 transmitters and panic button". The new codes for late 2009 and 2010 are BTV and AQQ, respectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
kawazar said:
I asked 2 dealers. The one I purchased at, the sales manager said the LCD would work. My salesman a month later gave me the option codes and we determined according to his info it wouldn't. But, now that I think about it, we only talked about the standard remote not the LCD. Another dealer close by said we can't add it. That was with using my VIN to determine that. I have a couple of other dealers I'm going to check next week. I'll let everyone know. I just find it hard to believe that they can't add it.
If you can add the standard remote, you can add the LCD remote and vice versa. When I ordered my 08 Saturn, there was a short time period Sept-Nov of 08, I think, that they could not add the remote start. Dealer said we could, but when it came in they tried and couldn't get it to work. Factory rep said it was not possible. This was Oct. 08. I made them reorder mine with remote start. I've read of many Acadias and Enclaves that have had the remote added, not sure about the Traverse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I will be honest I am not sure and have not been able to find out at this time, if I do I will let all know. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I dont whant to give you guys bad info but heres what i find from Gm code page:
AP8 - REMOTE VEHICLE STARTER PREP PKG
BTV -Remote vehicle starter system, includes Remote Keyless Entry
1 - Included and only available with (SRJ) Convenience and Connectivity Package and Requires (MX0) 6-speed automatic transmission.
2 - Included and only available with (MX0) 6-speed automatic transmission.
AP3 - REMOTE VEHICLE START
I call the dealer today and they told me part is GM:19213970(wich only comes with one remote....extra 200$ for one more...)but my old remotes still works to lock and opend doors.so i have 3 : 2 old and 1 lcd.
but they added Hood Pin switch
and i ask him for the ap3 code and he told me when you buy the advance 2 -way remote they take off the module of the remote starter and had the new one ,install the Antenna rear helper window(right side).thats why its cheaper for the install the Hood Pin switch is already there from the old remote start and its the only thing they keep from your ap3 starter, reprogam computer and voila!.
all traverse computer is the same they just reprogram computer but like i said before the only difference is the hood pin switch wich i did not have the rest of the install is the same. to find out just opend the hood and check your dic its going to say hood opend or something like that mine is in french so it says in french.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Hello, if anybody else is looking for this 2 way advanced remote GM part # 19156554, it is on sale for $72 at www.gmaccessoriesstore.com . Please look under "sale items" or "part # 1915-6654. This is the one with remote start and power liftgate.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top