Traverse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Traverse AWD 1LT.

Since cold weather is now upon us I tried using my remote start but it won't start. Nether from the key fob or from the wireless cell phone app. Last year it worked fine from both.

The parking lights flash but nothing after that. If using the cell phone app I get the message, "Remote Start limit is twice per ignition cycle and will not complete if keys are in the vehicle, Attempt Remote Start from key fob."

What should I look for?

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Well it thinks the vehicle has been remote started 2 times.

Remote start is limited to 2 remote starts.

then you have to insert the key and turn the ignition (for the older models) and I guess on newer ones- make sure the other fob isnt in the car.

After the 2nd remote start- the lights flash but no start.

This is a safety mechanism.

Dont need someone remote starting a car over and over- while the vehicle is in say-- a garage (attached to a house)... and then you have Carbon Monoxide issues.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Light flash means only that it received a start command.

First step is to lock all doors with the keyfob....even if they are already locked.....and then hit the starter button within a second or two........fail to (re)lock first or wait too long and it won't remote start.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only one key fob is in the vehicle. Neither key fob works. Followed start instruction very carefully. It obviously receives the start command, but goes no further than that.

My question is what faulty item might I look for prior to bringing it in for service repair. Electrical problem, computer problem, or mechanical problem?

Last year it worked fine, this year is does not. No warning or intermittent operation. Worked last winter, does not work now. Nothing changed in terms of electrical system or add-ons.

Would this be covered under the 30,000 mi / 3 year warranty?

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
if there is a SET CEL, it will not remote start.
I believe even a pending CEL will also make remote start not work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Only one key fob is in the vehicle. Neither key fob works...
Which "one key fob"? The one you're trying to start with, or a spare? Neither should be in the vehicle when remote starting.

As rbarrios mentioned to, I would suspect some pending CEL/engine light code, if the check engine light is on (or about to come on). That's usually been my problem, when remote start suddenly stops working (but my Traverse is older than yours).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which "one key fob"? The one you're trying to start with, or a spare? Neither should be in the vehicle when remote starting.

As rbarrios mentioned to, I would suspect some pending CEL/engine light code, if the check engine light is on (or about to come on). That's usually been my problem, when remote start suddenly stops working (but my Traverse is older than yours).

I mis-typed. No fobs are in the car at any time.

So I called the dealer and he said to check my hood. He said to open it. then slam it shut. There is a sensor that might not have been properly closed. Maybe when I added windshield fluid or checked oil. Anyway, I tried that and still no response.

So my next step is bring it in for service and it is covered by the 36000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow-up.

Both I and the dealer feel real foolish about this one. :surprise:
Nothing is wrong with the remote start. But apparently I inadvertently turned it off via the driver information center. The dealer service coordinator didn't even know it was an option and he has worked on theses models for quite sometime. It took one of the technicians who just happened to walk by and ask if it was turned on or off!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Follow-up.

Both I and the dealer feel real foolish about this one. :surprise:
Nothing is wrong with the remote start. But apparently I inadvertently turned it off via the driver information center. The dealer service coordinator didn't even know it was an option and he has worked on theses models for quite sometime. It took one of the technicians who just happened to walk by and ask if it was turned on or off!
I have a 2016 Traverse I purchased a few months ago and was having the same issue.

Thank you for this post, after weeks of searching I found the answer from your post. This is a great forum.

Thank you, norm201!

·
Registered
1 Posts
On most remote start systems, the parking lights will flash an error code if the car doesn't start. Assuming that the door lock/unlock buttons work, but remote start fails with the parking lights flashing, then the codes are: 1 or 8 Tachometer Sensing issue. 2 Key in ignition switch (this can be caused by dirt in the ignition switch "fooling" the sensor.) 3 Door open. 4 Trunk open. 5 Brake pedal is engaged. 6 Hood open (the most common one on all cars.) 7 Reservation Mode 10 Valet Mode. For some bizarre reason, there is no 9. The "door open" or "hood open" error is most often caused by a corroded sensing switch, e-SPECIALLY the "hood open" error. Or, the wire may have come loose, the switch mounting slipped, etc. HOWEVER: I have two fobs for my 2016 Chevy Trax LT. One fob remote starts the vehicle every time; the other one, an OEM replacement, works in every way, EXCEPT it won't remote start. It always returns a "2" or "3" error code. No matter what I do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OK, so my 'check engine' light just popped on this past Friday ... like, now what. Subsequently I then tried to remote start the car from the fob later in the day - hadn't done so in quite awhile. Lights flash as they should but ... nothing. Today I tried to access car via the My Chevrolet App from iPhone and all it does is "updating" without ever completing ... are these 3 separate issues or all tied into the same issue and "what could it be"?

Just moved and am away from my regular, reliable servicing dealer and afraid getting screwed by a new dealership, which there aren't any really convenient to the new home - am shocked.

Any advise / suggestions appreciated.

Above they said they "turned off remote start" via DIC - how? Maybe possible that happened while at a car wash I took it through?

Thanks Travers Community!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice 'non-helpful' reply Green ... <eyeroll> .... Called my dealer and advised if Service Engine light on Remote Start system shuts down from fob and app .... so its off to new FL dealership to see what is causing the Check Engine light to glow ...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Nice 'non-helpful' reply Green ... <eyeroll> .... Called my dealer and advised if Service Engine light on Remote Start system shuts down from fob and app .... so its off to new FL dealership to see what is causing the Check Engine light to glow ...
Well, Stingray, you asked a question - "Above they said they "turned off remote start" via DIC - how?"

I told you to read your owners manual. It's right there on page 5-47 (in the 2011 manual). I didn't think I'd need to have to find it and quote it for you <eyeroll> but here it is:

REMOTE START
If your vehicle has this feature, it allows you to turn the remote start
off or on. The remote start feature allows you to start the engine from
outside of the vehicle using the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
transmitter. See Remote Vehicle Start on page 2‑5 for more
information.

Press the customization button until REMOTE START appears on the
DIC display. Press the set/reset button once to access the settings
for this feature. Then press the customization button to scroll
through the following settings:

OFF: The remote start feature will be disabled.

ON (default): The remote start feature will be enabled.

This might help you, too. Page 2-7:

Conditions in Which the
Remote Start Will Not Work

The vehicle cannot be started using the remote start feature if the key is
in the ignition, the hood is open, or if there is an emission control system
malfunction.

The engine turns off during a remote start if the coolant temperature gets
too high or if the oil pressure gets low.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Traverse AWD 1LT.

Since cold weather is now upon us I tried using my remote start but it won't start. Nether from the key fob or from the wireless cell phone app. Last year it worked fine from both.

The parking lights flash but nothing after that. If using the cell phone app I get the message, "Remote Start limit is twice per ignition cycle and will not complete if keys are in the vehicle, Attempt Remote Start from key fob."

What should I look for?
First thing I'd look for is the other fob. In the car.
I work with a few mechanics and they were nice enough to run a code reader for me as my engine light came on and I can no long remote start my 2015 traverse. Code came back 456 which they told me was a evap system fault/leak. Which disabled my remote start. Parts for it aren't expensive but can't do it now as it's cold AF outside and I have no garage. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts