Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the factory I had selected a remote starter to be part of our 1LT.

I started the car remotely this morning (5 degrees C or 40 F) but when I opened the door there was no rear window defogger activated (i.e light not shown) and there was no defroster running...no air at all. I could only get air, as far as I can tell, by turning the key to ON/RUN. But of course this defeats the purpose of a remote start!

1LT dont have automatic climate control but I assumed that if I set defroster (air to the front and side windows) the night before this would happen the next morning when I started the car remotely.

What am I doing wrong? Is it possible it wasn't cold enough?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
my understanding is that the air or AC will blow with remote start- on the setting it was left when you last turned off the vehicle...
but im not sure if this includes the defrosting of the windows....
If you want heat youll obvioulsy have to wait for the engine to heat up...

Ill try to remember to try the defrost on mine- ill then post results.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was dumb. I dont know why I said that the defroster air wouldnt work. I tried it tonight and as long as it was set for air defrost prior to using the remote start it did blow when the car started up. However no defogger was activated (i.e no light). But that maybe due to the outside temperature being not cold enough?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just started the car (1LT) using the remote. It is currently 32F.

• defogger did not come on with start up (i.e no light on dash) ???
  • having the air defrost on previously will ensure that it comes on with the remote BUT *if* it wasn't set to air defrost previously then one must turn the key to on/run to activate any fan/air setting

·
Registered
112 Posts
The automatic temperature control takes care of that. It turns the defrost on automatically too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
copperbeech said:
I just started the car (1LT) using the remote. It is currently 32F.

• defogger did not come on with start up (i.e no light on dash) ???
  • having the air defrost on previously will ensure that it comes on with the remote BUT *if* it wasn't set to air defrost previously then one must turn the key to on/run to activate any fan/air setting
From my Enclave manual....

If your vehicle has an automatic climate control system,
the climate control system will default to a heating or
cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures.
If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate
control system, the system will turn on at the setting
the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last
turned off.

Keep in mind that I don't think any air will blow until the engine comes up to temperature. No sense in blowing cold air to warm things up. Is it possible you simply did not wait long enough to have the engine be warm?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zman said:
From my Enclave manual....

If your vehicle has an automatic climate control system,
the climate control system will default to a heating or
cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures.
If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate
control system, the system will turn on at the setting
the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last
turned off.

Keep in mind that I don't think any air will blow until the engine comes up to temperature. No sense in blowing cold air to warm things up. Is it possible you simply did not wait long enough to have the engine be warm?
Thanks for the post. The 1LT does not have "automatic climate control". So I believe that as indicated one would need to have the defrost blower on *prior* to starting the car remotely for it to come on. Okay. I can live with that. But I was confused that the defogger didnt seem to come on automatically. I say this as I saw no light. And 32F has to be cold enough...don you think?

·
Registered
115 Posts
copperbeech said:
Thanks for the post. The 1LT does not have "automatic climate control". So I believe that as indicated one would need to have the defrost blower on *prior* to starting the car remotely for it to come on. Okay. I can live with that. But I was confused that the defogger didnt seem to come on automatically. I say this as I saw no light. And 32F has to be cold enough...don you think?
I am not sure what to tell you. I know on my Enclave none of the HVAC controls light up until I start the vehicle. So even though air is blowing there is no indication that anything is functioning. I wonder if it is possible that the defrost works the same way - it is actually on and you just don't get the light illuminated. I guess the only way to test is to wait for it to get really cold and see if the window clears or not.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zman said:
I wonder if it is possible that the defrost works the same way - it is actually on and you just don't get the light illuminated. I guess the only way to test is to wait for it to get really cold and see if the window clears or not.
True.

So now I am looking forward to some really frosty weather ;).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zman said:
I wonder if it is possible that the defrost works the same way - it is actually on and you just don't get the light illuminated. I guess the only way to test is to wait for it to get really cold and see if the window clears or not.
You were right. I checked this morning and although defogger/defroster light was not illuminated I could see the frost in rear window was quickly disapating and the heated mirrors were warm to the touch.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nbat said:
The remote start on our 2LT turns everything on when cold enough, even the heated seats. It's great!
I wish I had moved up to the 2LT. Oh well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
with sunroof? ;D

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2LT will start OK with the remote start, but shuts off when I put the key in and turn it to ON. Have not taken it in to the dealer yet, because I have no other problems at this time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts