Traverse Forum banner

Remote - Fob distance to open/close - and remote start

10K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  rbarrios 
#1 ·
Was reading on another forum- the distance some get from their remotes and how they upgrade to the fancier 2 way remote GM offers.
So I went out and parked my 2010 Traverse at the end of a lot- after some walking around and trying different positions- finally got a nice number
404 ft- by placing the remote under my chin...
To record the distance-- I used my Garmin (GPS watch for runners)- and walked back to the car.
By simply using the remote held out in front of me- I was able to achieve about 295- 300 ft....
My next task is to try a bigger parking lot--- as I was limited by the fence behind me when I achieved the 404 Ft.
click on pic to make it bigger and see my Traverse at the end of the lot (tail lights on)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Good to know, but I can not imagine ever locking or unlocking from that far away. I guess the remote start in the winter maybe. I once put a key fob under my chin, my brother in law thought I was crazy and was sure it does nothing to increase the distance.... I have always thought it does, however I have no proof of that.... until now :thumb:

#4 ·
the chin method comes in handy to me... when I walk away from the car and then say.... Did I lock the car?
Instead of walking back all the way, I use the chin method- and press the button twice to get the horn to chirp.... its locked now...

#6 ·
put the fob (remote) to your chin--- and press the buttons...
believe it or not---- this will add a little more distance to your remote...

(you can also put it to your head/forehead etc...)-- but the chin is the most 'discrete'....

for me-- it adds about 100-105 more feet.

#7 ·
rbarrios said:
put the fob (remote) to your chin--- and press the buttons...
believe it or not---- this will add a little more distance to your remote...

(you can also put it to your head/forehead etc...)-- but the chin is the most 'discrete'....

for me-- it adds about 100-105 more feet.
Why?

#9 ·
bobg1951chevy said:
Sounds crazy I know, but if you put the fob under your chin you can lock or unlock your car from a farther distance. Something you are going to use everyday? NO. but if you can not find your car in a parking lot, or you need to let someone in your car from far away it helps....

#10 ·
well putting it to your chin- to me- adds at least 100 ft to the distance.
I know theres lots of people on the Acadia, enclave, outlook, forums who wish they could get 100 Ft from their remotes....
Im getting 300 ft... - chin- adds 100 ft... 400 ft distance...
I just read on the other forums- someone was getting 40 ft....
Heck- go to the Impala forums... some of those guys had to be next to or inside the car to use their fobs....

But- I know some people-- at least in the very cold states on the forums complain about not being able to remote start from inside the house...---
with this chin method-- it can mean starting the car from the toastiness of your house--- or walking out in 10 degree weather to start your car.

Last time I used remote start out here (in our Impala- it must have been 110 ).
I used the chin method-- and remote started the car from a distance... this got the AC cooling off the interior- which must have been 130+....

#14 ·
Gibby said:
How the **** big is your chin? :eyebrow:
So, if one had a metal plate is his/her head and used the chin method, you could start your car and run out of gas before getting to the car and opening the door!

#15 ·
bobg1951chevy said:
So, if one had a metal plate is his/her head and used the chin method, you could start your car and run out of gas before getting to the car and opening the door!
Except Chevy thought of this exact scenario and made it so the car would only run for 10 minutes and you could only do it twice without inserting the key... ;D

Seriously though, when you park a block or two away from your work and its snowing with temperatures below freezing, any extra range you can squeeze out could make the difference between having to scrape your windows and freeze for part of your drive home or just getting into a warm car that is ready to go.

#16 ·
srobinso11 said:
Except Chevy thought of this exact scenario and made it so the car would only run for 10 minutes and you could only do it twice without inserting the key... ;D

Seriously though, when you park a block or two away from your work and its snowing with temperatures below freezing, any extra range you can squeeze out could make the difference between having to scrape your windows and freeze for part of your drive home or just getting into a warm car that is ready to go.
I can't dispute that logic.

#17 ·
I have not seen it here---But on the acadia and enclave forums- plenty of guys over there who have PAID for the updated 2 way FOB remote unit...
It also comes with an extra antenna you place on the inside of the vehicle---- this in order to get more distance from their 'weak' factory units.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.