Traverse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM can be so stupid at times. A $0.02 set screw, would save tons of headaches.....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes but the Bean Counters congratulated themselves for saving .02 x 250,000 units, it all adds up, until you subtract all the warranty costs down the road. Not to mention loss of customers.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I get that if you're doing a full tear down it would make sense to add the set screw but lets face it, the 3.6 isn't exactly a commonly rebuilt engine in the platforms it's installed in. More of junk and replace with LKQ.

I also have to say, having been on this forum since probably around 2010, I can't recall of any posts beyond one of the more recent where the reluctor spinning on the crank possibly occurred, so it's really not a common problem with a bunch of headaches. And it's definitely not worth the costs/time/effort to tear down the bottom end to do it preventative.

Checked on Camaro5 and only found one user who had an issue with that on a 3.6.

I also can say from my LS experience, and those motors tend to take a lot more abuse, there are relatively isolated cases of the pressed on factory reluctors spinning but it happens much more frequently with aftermarket builds that are tack welded in place by the builder, and the welds break (particularly on the thinner Gen 3 24x wheels). Even then it's not THAT much of a plague.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts