Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having a challenge adding a trailer hitch to my 2020 Chevy Traverse (LT FWD). I went to the Chevy site and followed the instructions for my make model and year. The part recommended is the CURT 13433. I purchased from Rock Auto and scheduled the dealer to install.
They ran into a problem where the hitch doesn’t want to slide all the way back in the frame rail. It is about ¾” to 1 ½” away from flush. I took a picture looking inside of the frame rail and there is a welded piece across the cross section of the frame preventing the trailer hitch rail from sliding all the way in. Another wrinkle is when I go back to the Chevy site it doesn’t allow this trailer hitch to be selected (but it does for a 2019 make and model).
Has anyone else ran into a problem like this? What are my options? I’m only using the hitch for a bike rack and small trailer for a dump run less than 2 miles from my house.
I’ve include a couple of pictures but have more from the dealer install session if it helps.
Font Parallel Writing Paper Ink
Black Flash photography Water Liquid Grey
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior
Font Parallel Writing Paper Ink
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Black Flash photography Water Liquid Grey

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,169 Posts
Only 2 choices, send it back for the correct one or trim and drill to fit the one you have to fit into the frame.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Etrailer says to use this Curt hitch:

They call it a "CU29FR," but down near the bottom of the web page it says "13433." Etrailer provides a video of them actually installing one on a 2020 Traverse and their website says, "Confirmed to fit." Maybe have your installer watch the video. Maybe there's some "trick" needed.

I checked 2019 and 2021 in case something changed and you got a earlier or later version, but Etrailer says it's the same hitch for 2019 and 2021.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Greentraverse,
Thanks for the additional research and confirmation of the 13433 part that I have is the recommended part. I see on eTrailer there are several successful installations. The cross member in the frame rail doesnt seem to be on these other installations. Has anyone else had to modify the 13433 to get it to work on their Traverse?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts