Traverse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to make a quick trip to St. Louis from Texas recently. Round trip was 1875 miles with a DIC indicated 22.2 MPG overall. Drive was 90% highway with an average speed of 59.8 MPH. I reset the DIC at the start of the trip and went through five or so tanks of gasoline. I just turned over 16000 miles so it is time to get my oil changed as I try to maintain an oil change interval of every 5000 miles. OLM is at 58%.

Bayner66

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
sounds like me...
Im at about 16,8xx.
My OLM this morning was 56%- and this batch of oil has 4496 miles. (I use my TRIP B meter- to keep track of miles on oil).

But sounds like you did good on your mileage.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
sounds like me...
Im at about 16,8xx.
My OLM this morning was 56%- and this batch of oil has 4496 miles. (I use my TRIP B meter- to keep track of miles on oil).

But sounds like you did good on your mileage.
I'm thinking my OLM is reducing 1% evry 100 miles ...does that sound like that is in the ballpark?

Bob

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
yes that is pretty much what Ive observed- on average...

to be exact--- this current batch-- im at 101 miles per 1%... ::)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I only let my oil monitor drop to 50% which is around 5,000 miles for me, then I change the oil. I have the 09 AWD. My mileage on our 250 mile round trips to Urbana Champaign always register over 21 mpg and I am happy with that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Have any of you guys (or girls) read any of the posts on here extolling the accuracy of the OLM and that it is, in some people's view, an unnecessary waste to change oil vastly ahead of what the monitor indicates?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My OLM read 67% before I took my 1875 mile trip. That would be approximately 2% drop per 100 miles. I think being mostly highway miles was easier on the oil than local deiving.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
andylibby said:
Have any of you guys (or girls) read any of the posts on here extolling the accuracy of the OLM and that it is, in some people's view, an unnecessary waste to change oil vastly ahead of what the monitor indicates?
Based on UOA on my 2003 Trailblazer- and our 2007 Impala--- I trust the OLM in those cars- no question about it. Its accurate. No need to change oil at 3000 miles on those cars. The Trailblazer sees 10-11,000 mile oil changes. The Impala 5000 miles- using the OLM getting down to 0-5%.....

The OLM on my Traverse.... different story. So far Ive only gone at most 5500 on the oil- and UOA showed that the oil still had some life left... the OLM showed about 50%--- but im not sure the oil would have held up for another 50%....
Though I was still in the break in period. For the time being--- I will not go down to 0% in the Traverse.

On the other hand---an Enclave owner just posted an exceptional UOA with 19% OLM reading- and about 8200 miles--- the oil was Penz. Ultra.
Appears to be the best UOA weve seen.
His OLM and the oil condition-- appeared to be on par with each other...though it appears he was doing mostly highway...
nonetheless-- very nice UOA.

·
Registered
126 Posts
took the Traverse on a long trip this weekend and was happy with the overall mileage got 24.2 not bad after seeing 13 and 15 around town.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
youre right.. that is a very nice inprovement

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I find my Traverse gives it's best highway millage when I was able to run it at 70 mph. The millage dropped some when I was in the 60 mph speed limits. That seems to be the sweet spot... 70 to 75. Of course there are hardly any roads with speed limits that high in Canada.

We have enjoyed traveling in the states the last couple of summers.

·
Registered
465 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
I find my Traverse gives it's best highway millage when I was able to run it at 70 mph. The millage dropped some when I was in the 60 mph speed limits. That seems to be the sweet spot... 70 to 75. Of course there are hardly any roads with speed limits that high in Canada.
I guess you haven't traveled in Alberta the TransCanada 1 East /West and Hwy 2 (QE2) between Calgary and Edmonton have posted speed of 110 KMH/ 68 mph. Everyone travels at least 115-125 kph / 69-77.6 mph
in the sweet spot to great fuel mileage . 8)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I took our 2011 on its first long run yesterday. It had about 800 miles on it when I started out. The first leg was 302 miles and it got 22.8 mpg (hand calculated), and on the second leg of 160 miles it got 21.7 mpg (again hand calculated). The average speed on both runs was between 60-65. Other than the length, the only difference between the 2 runs was that the second one was at night and it was about 10-15 degrees cooler so I don't know if that's why it was about 1 mpg less. I can't wait to see what it can achieve once it's broken in. We're happy with these numbers already, as this vehicle is a replacement for a Suburban with the 5.7 in it and my truck is a full size with the 5.3 in it. Anything over 20 mpg is great in our book. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Great mileage reports. I'm seeing more and more people getting in the low to mid 20's for fuel mileage. I too am in that range, and am very happy with that.

That being said, I find the sweet spot to be more around the 60-63MPH (100km/h) for fuel mileage. I consistantly see over 24MPG when maintaining that speed. That being said, its not always an easy speed to maintain, when you have two children under 3 years old with you! :) Fortunately they are both great traveller's, so its only my wife that glances over once and awhile and asks if I'm EVEN doing the speed limit or not! :p

Towing the trailer has been a bit harder to find the sweet spot. I haven't done any long trips yet to try it out. The only two comparisons of towing I can make are that I was towing about 105km/h in 5th gear, getting about 11.5MPG, vs. towing at 90km/h in 4th gear and getting 9.5MPG. But I know the 90km/h trip I was into a head wind, so that may have been the difference there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quantum said:
Great mileage reports. I'm seeing more and more people getting in the low to mid 20's for fuel mileage. I too am in that range, and am very happy with that.

That being said, I find the sweet spot to be more around the 60-63MPH (100km/h) for fuel mileage. I consistantly see over 24MPG when maintaining that speed. That being said, its not always an easy speed to maintain, when you have two children under 3 years old with you! :) Fortunately they are both great traveller's, so its only my wife that glances over once and awhile and asks if I'm EVEN doing the speed limit or not! :p

Towing the trailer has been a bit harder to find the sweet spot. I haven't done any long trips yet to try it out. The only two comparisons of towing I can make are that I was towing about 105km/h in 5th gear, getting about 11.5MPG, vs. towing at 90km/h in 4th gear and getting 9.5MPG. But I know the 90km/h trip I was into a head wind, so that may have been the difference there.
Did you mean L/100KM? 11.5 or 9.5MPG would otherwise be terrible mileage. I figure you meant L/100KM.

90~100KM/Hr is where you'll get your best mileage. Towing or otherwise. Fill your tank, reset your DIC, hit the highway there and back and you'll find you average out to a best of 25~26 MPG. I think this is around 10L/100KM or just 'under' if I'm not mistaken. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
bigtallvandy said:
Did you mean L/100KM? 11.5 or 9.5MPG would otherwise be terrible mileage. I figure you meant L/100KM.

90~100KM/Hr is where you'll get your best mileage. Towing or otherwise. Fill your tank, reset your DIC, hit the highway there and back and you'll find you average out to a best of 25~26 MPG. I think this is around 10L/100KM or just 'under' if I'm not mistaken. :cheers:
No, I meant 11.5 or 9.5MPG. Towing a big brick behind the Traverse takes its toll on mileage! Solo I'm seeing anywhere from 19-24MPG consistantly (depending on city/hwy mix), but towing is a whole other barrel of monkies! Just keep the next gas station programmed in the Garmin!

·
Registered
57 Posts
rbarrios said:
Appears to be the best UOA weve seen.
His OLM and the oil condition-- appeared to be on par with each other...though it appears he was doing mostly highway...
nonetheless-- very nice UOA.
All I know is that in my Avalanche, it does not matter what type of oil I use the change oil indicator ALWAYS comes on at about the same time, even when I use Mobil 1 extended Oil (15,000 Mile oil)> I just reset it and keep going. Using the Mobile 1, 15k oil and either mobile 1 or K&N filter I have not had any problems at all. You may not want to try this at home, but I have about 130k on the avalanche and have been changing my oil every 15k miles for 3 years...no problems, still runs great, no drop in mileage either!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just made two long trips in two days in our 2012 AWD LT1 -- 263 miles yesterday, and 223 miles today. All were made on the Interstate highways in Virginia, and the average mileage was 24 MPG. Most of the time the car was on cruise control traveling between 65-75 MPH.

I'm pretty satisfied with these numbers -- maybe it's the full synthetic Mobil 1 oil?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts