SATURN / AURA 2009
SATURN / OUTLOOK 2009

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 06, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V073000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:LEVER AND LINKAGE:COLUMN SHIFT
Potential Number of Units Affected: 276729
Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING 276, 729 MY 2009 BUICK ENCLAVE, CHEVROLET COBALT, HHR, MALIBU, TRAVERSE, GMC ACADIA, PONTIAC G5, G6 AND SATURN AURA AND OUTLOOK PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLES SAFETY STANDARD 102, "TRANSMISSION SHIFT POSITION SEQUENCE, STARTER INTERLOCK, AND TRANSMISSION BRAKING EFFECT", AND FMVSS 114, "THEFT PROTECTION AND ROLLAWAY PREVENTION". ON SOME OF THESE VEHICLES, THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT CABLE ADJUSTMENT CLIP MAY NOT BE FULLY ENGAGED. IF THE CLIP IS NOT FULLY ENGAGED, THE SHIFT LEVER AND THE ACTUAL POSITION OF THE TRANSMISSION GEAR MAY NOT MATCH. WITH THIS CONDITION, THE DRIVE COULD MOVE THE SHIFTER TO "PARK" AND REMOVE THE IGNITION KEY, BUT THE TRANSMISSION GEAR MAY NOT BE IN "PARK".
Consequence:
THE DRIVER MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RESTART THE VEHICLE AND THE VEHICLE COULD ROLL AWAY AFTER THE DRIVER HAS EXITED THE VEHICLE, RESULTING IN A POSSIBLE CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND ENSURE THAT THE SHIFT CABLE ADJUSTMENT CLIP IS FULLY ENGAGED. IN THE EVENT THAT THE CLIP DOES NOT ENGAGE, THE SHIFT CABLE WILL BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE MARCH 24, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668 AND SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876 OR AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
Notes:
GENERAL MOTORS RECALL NO. 09041. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just looked at gm owner center, and it says no open recalls for my Enclave. Must be specific vin numbers that are affected, not all 2009's. Guess we should all start using the parking brake when parked, if on even a slight grade. I also called Buick, AND called my dealer and they all say NO recalls on my Enclave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched and found this information, including the VIN ranges involved:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=4357.msg59260#msg59260

Specifically for the Traverse:
Chevrolet
Traverse
9S100002
9S143263

Mine is in the range, so it will need to be checked. I always use the parking brake anyway, but will need to get my wife onboard to that now too, at least until it is checked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From the link above posted by clbhk:

"Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system(s) below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved."

I'm within the range so I'm still going to check with my dealer. But here's to hoping that mine isn't invovled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just had my transmission shift cable inspected by dealer, service department wasn't busy took about 5 minutes. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My new 2LT that I will be picking up in a couple weeks falls after this range...so that is good...

What I am looking for though, does anyone know the breakdown of the VIN as to where it was built, etc.....??

Thanks

Medman

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just received a phone call from the dealer I bought my Traverse from. There is a recall for the transmission cable. They will need the last 8 of your vin for them to check if your is included. I take mine in tomorrow AM and will post what I find out tomorrow. :eyebrow:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got a recall notice in the mail today for this. Good Times.

- Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got mine in the mail too. I may have experienced the problem. I had parked it in the garage, and after I had it in park, it seemed to roll a little bit. Don't know if that is it or not tho.

Now, a mostly unrelated question. Can any Chevy dealer do this? The dealer I bought it from is 40 minutes further away than my closest Chevy dealer. I have previously bought from my closest Chevy dealer, but the exact Traverse I wanted was on this lot an extra 40 minutes away, so I went there and got it.

Would the close Chevy dealer still be happy to do my recall work? Or would that be ballsy on my part to take it in there to be serviced? Obviously they get paid, so I imagine they would like that. But I'm not sure how a typical dealer/service dept would react if I came in there with a Traverse with only 2000 miles from some other dealer. What say you?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any chevy dealer will do it. Just bring in the recall form to the service adviser.

Joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Herdcyclone said:
Just got mine in the mail too. I may have experienced the problem. I had parked it in the garage, and after I had it in park, it seemed to roll a little bit. Don't know if that is it or not tho.

Now, a mostly unrelated question. Can any Chevy dealer do this? The dealer I bought it from is 40 minutes further away than my closest Chevy dealer. I have previously bought from my closest Chevy dealer, but the exact Traverse I wanted was on this lot an extra 40 minutes away, so I went there and got it.

Would the close Chevy dealer still be happy to do my recall work? Or would that be ballsy on my part to take it in there to be serviced? Obviously they get paid, so I imagine they would like that. But I'm not sure how a typical dealer/service dept would react if I came in there with a Traverse with only 2000 miles from some other dealer. What say you?

You state that when you put it in park it rolls, Is that something they all do. I know mine does it everytime I place it in park. Is that normall.

You

·
Registered
74 Posts
All cars roll a little bit when you put it in park. That's mainly the reason you're supposed to put the emergency brake on first, then put the shifter into park second. This is especially true when parking on a hill, or you get into the torque lock problem or whatever it's called when you can't get the shifter out of park or start the car. Under normal circumstances after putting into park first, it rolls a little than it catches, and stops.

What they're saying in the recall is that it may not stop, and keep rolling.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello all,
Thank you for the information and I will see what my friend's model is. I guess using the parking brake is always a good idea, is it not?

I hope all cars in future will roll off the assembly line in PERFECT working order and pristine condition. In a perfect world, we should never have to recall anything once it is on the block for sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We bought our Traverse LTZ on Feb 27th and received our recall letter on March 25th. Took it in on the 27th and all checked out fine. Took about 10 minutes for them to verify that it shifted fully in park and the clip was fully engaged. Not a great way to start, but all in all it wasn't a bad experience at the dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts