Traverse Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,
We previously had an '09 that would've been eligible under TSP 14329A; however, we have since gone through two vehicles and now have a 2013 AWD Traverse with 65k miles. The fun part is the p/s pump just went out on it last week, the day before we were supposed to leave on vacation. We contacted our local dealer, provided the VIN and were told it does not have any recalls or TSBs. Has anyone else come across this with a newer model? All the research I have done has indicated there was no significant change between 2011-2013. The exact same replacement parts can be used on all three MYs which makes me wonder 1) did they change anything? and 2) why was this warranty not extended to the newer models? TIY for your help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my question is this recall is to do wiht power steering .. my is tight as **** at time and i have to rev the motor to get in to a parking spot is that the issue that its to cure?

·
Registered
243 Posts
CdnKevin said:
my question is this recall is to do wiht power steering .. my is tight as **** at time and i have to rev the motor to get in to a parking spot is that the issue that its to cure?
My had the same issue when turning into a parking space. The pump replaced under warranty solved this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, Blah blah blah, I too have 09 with the tightening of the steering wheel and its making noise, what is the process on getting his repair under a recall or warranty, I am at 125k in mileage.

thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
There is NOT a recall on the power steering pump.

There IS an "extended warranty policy" on the power steering pump.

From the original " in service date ", the new policy takes the power steering pump warranty to 10 years or 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's a copy of the letter from GM.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh, sorry I got the wrong one. :-[

I corrected it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
greentraverse said:
Just opened my letter. It is NOT a TSB. It is NOT a RECALL. It is simply a warranty notice.

It says that some 2011 model year Traverses (I assume your's will say whatever MY you have) "may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist. The vehicle may revert to manual steering which requires greater driver effort, particularly at low vehicle speeds.

Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above."

So it's simply a notice that this issue will now be covered under warranty. It says "If this condition occurs on your (MY) Chevrolet Traverse within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

There's also a reimbursement form if you've already paid to have it fixed.

Kindly somebody inform me that this notice is applicable for GULF countries too?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Contact Chevrolet Customer Service in the area where you reside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tdub_97 said:
Hello everyone,
We previously had an '09 that would've been eligible under TSP 14329A; however, we have since gone through two vehicles and now have a 2013 AWD Traverse with 65k miles. The fun part is the p/s pump just went out on it last week, the day before we were supposed to leave on vacation. We contacted our local dealer, provided the VIN and were told it does not have any recalls or TSBs. Has anyone else come across this with a newer model? All the research I have done has indicated there was no significant change between 2011-2013. The exact same replacement parts can be used on all three MYs which makes me wonder 1) did they change anything? and 2) why was this warranty not extended to the newer models? TIY for your help.
Just joined specifically for this same issue. I have a 2012 with 82K that suprisingly, with apparently the same parts as the 2011, exhibits the same syptoms as decribed in 14329A. Guess what? The car isn't smart enough to realize it is a 2012 and not a 2011. Wife nearly hit another car in a parking lot because she just lost steering as she was backing up. Doing it more frequently no at low speed/stopped. Our mechanic finds the warranty extension for the 2009-2012 and calls Chevy for us. Apparently it's too bad, so sad for 2012 owners.

The rationale behind fixing one set of people's problems and giving another set a Russian Roulette vehicle not knowing when you are going to crash with your kids or run some other kid over in a parking lot. It's a heck of a way to do business.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So just a quick update, just got off the phone with Chevrolet Customer Assistance. Told that I have to go through the dealer and grovel to them to go to bat for me for a goodwill adjustment because adjustment is VIN specific. "No Possible Way" for anyone other than dealer to help. I ask why, is dealer going to fix out of his pocket? No, he's going to call you with the exact same thing I just did - so for him, someone can say yes?

This shows the inefficiency and bureaucracy that one would have thought would have been weeded out after having to be saved by US. Instead of someone authorizing the dealer to fix in advance if that is indeed the problem, I have to go there, beg the dealer to take up my case. Then he will call the same Chevrolet I just talked to and ask them for permission to fix the exact same thing that's being fixed on the 2009-2011s with the exact same symptoms. Then someone at Chevy will decide yay or nay. Why the runaround? It's completely illogical and indefensible to think that the same parts on the different model year are going to behave differently. And then, in say 2018, Chevy will add the 2012 and 2013 model years to the Special Coverage Adjustment...

In the meantime, if you see my wife in a parking lot piloting the black 2LT, look out - especially if she's backing up.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
3darcher2 said:
So just a quick update, just got off the phone with Chevrolet Customer Assistance. Told that I have to go through the dealer and grovel to them to go to bat for me for a goodwill adjustment because adjustment is VIN specific. "No Possible Way" for anyone other than dealer to help. I ask why, is dealer going to fix out of his pocket? No, he's going to call you with the exact same thing I just did - so for him, someone can say yes?

This shows the inefficiency and bureaucracy that one would have thought would have been weeded out after having to be saved by US. Instead of someone authorizing the dealer to fix in advance if that is indeed the problem, I have to go there, beg the dealer to take up my case. Then he will call the same Chevrolet I just talked to and ask them for permission to fix the exact same thing that's being fixed on the 2009-2011s with the exact same symptoms. Then someone at Chevy will decide yay or nay. Why the runaround? It's completely illogical and indefensible to think that the same parts on the different model year are going to behave differently. And then, in say 2018, Chevy will add the 2012 and 2013 model years to the Special Coverage Adjustment...

In the meantime, if you see my wife in a parking lot piloting the black 2LT, look out - especially if she's backing up.
Hello 3darcher2,

We’re saddened to hear you and your wife are experiencing such frustrations with your Traverse. We don’t take your feedback lightly and would be more than happy to further document this on your behalf. Since you mentioned speaking with our Customer Assistance Team, feel free to send us a private message with your case number or VIN.

Best regards,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
3darcher2 said:

Dealer (SERVICE MANAGER) will NOT be talking to C.C.S. for authorization.
Instead, if authorization for warranty repair is given, the SERVICE MANAGER will either authorize repair himself, through his "calculation procedure", or the SERVICE Manager will contact his DISTRICT MANAGER.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Dealer (SERVICE MANAGER) will NOT be talking to C.C.S. for authorization.
Instead, if authorization for warranty repair is given, the SERVICE MANAGER will either authorize repair himself, through his "calculation procedure", or the SERVICE Manager will contact his DISTRICT MANAGER.
Thank you Bob - I've not had need to have a goodwill adjustment or something of that nature since my 1986 S10 Blazer automatic transmission crapped out at 38K, 2,000 miles out of warranty. Either way, it puts the customer in the uncomfortable position of having to basically beg the dealership to take care of something that seems like it should be a "no-brainer". Now. I owned my own retail business at one point and when our supplier would not warranty some things, we would eat it in house because it was the right thing to do. In the auto business, with the infrequency of sales and contacts, the incentive for the individual dealer to satisfy the customer in this case, being a low mile used purchase not made there, seems low.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So it gets more interesting. Chevrolet Customer Svc contacted me here through the PM and told me once again that this is VIN specific, as if for some reason I do not comprehend that. In my opinion, the VINs that are covered needs to be enlarged to contain those which suffer the same symptoms with the same parts. They seem not to comprehend that.

Anyway, they tell me that I should take my Traverse in for the three open recalls and while it's there ask it to be looked at. They give me my case number and tell me who to call - two "Customer Experience Managers" at the dealer that I wanted to perfrom the work. I bought a truck there in 1992 and it's a smaller family dealership, not a megastore.

I call there today and ask for them. Older lady who answers the phone asks me my name and "what's this about?" Then she says one is at lunch and one is working on a car.

I tell her I have a Traverse that has a power steering issue similar to the Special Coverage Adjustment for 2009-2011 and three open recalls that need serviced. She says well you are customer pay, there is nothing she can do about it. I try to explain that I have been talking with Chev Cust Svc but she is not interested in letting me speak, telling me that's a goodwill adjustment and we can't do that. I finally tell her that CCS says to call and ask for one of these two guys and get an appointment to get the open recalls serviced and the PS pump looked at. She puts me on hold for about 2 seconds and an older gentleman comes on.

He asks what's the problem, where did I buy the Traverse, and where do I live. Then he says he can't do any GW adjustments, he just got audited. He's been giving too many. Then he says take it somewhere else and names two other dealers. I tell him that I trust their service department and while I didn't buy this from them, I have bought from them in the past. He again saiys "you should take it to dealer X, they can probably help you. You need someone who has more money to give and they are over my way." I point out that dealer is twice as far away as they are. He says that's OK, he doesn't have any money, they are not interested in doing any work, goodbye.

They seemed very grateful that the American taxpayer (me) bailed them out and kept them in business. :angryfire:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started my research into the Traverse power steering pump issues. We have a 2011 Traverse LS that since day 1 of purchase I've always something was not right with the front end and steering. So what is the official statement as far as if GM recalled for PS issues or just extended the warranty? I'm dealing with power steering issues and front end rack pinon. Both seals on the rack pinon are leaking and have to be replaced.

Wondering if any/all of this is covered from any of the recalls. I never received any letter, phone call, etc. regarding any of these issues. So all this in new to me.

Any suggestions or anything would be most helpful.

thanks

Stafford1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must admit, my 2015 LT had power steering noise from brand new. It's noisy at times, worse when hot. This is definitely a defect, and from looking at past posts, the bad pumps were never addressed. I'm a GM fan from way back, and worked on all makes of cars. seen many similar power steering issues in other makes, where whining noise and lack of steering were common. I've owned a total of 15 GM vehicles, never had any PS issues. 6 bargain basement sunfires and cavaliers, that lost all fluid from a 50 cent cooler line. The pump ran dry for days in my daughter's car, but never made a peep after fixing line and re-filling pump! I was amazed how tough they were!
Now, a brand new pump on many vehicles is noisy right out of the box. Whoever is supplying the pumps is guilty here. Manufacturer's often change suppliers to save money. I've seen this many times in industrial equipment too, where after getting new supplier the part is a failure right out of the box and every replacement one is also bad. These bad pumps are churning out metal filings as they fail. These filings end up in the rack, and scratch the smooth sealing surfaces of the steering gear, resulting in leaks.
BTW the rack wont show leaks until it floods the bellows and gets squeezed out under pressure. You must undo the clamp to check for the presence of PS fluid. a few drops is fine but no more. No wonder car makers go to electric racks....no leaks, no fluid, no pump, no engine power loss, just an electric motor $159 that bolts on the column.
It's sad that an aftermarket pump manufacturer can make life miserable for Gm and it's customers. I dont know who the pump manufacturer is, but they are built exactly like the old ford pumps from years ago. GM needs to change their supplier fast!

61 - 80 of 88 Posts