Traverse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
happyfamily said:
Hi,

Just got a recall letter from GM says the power steering pump warranty has been changed to 240000km or 10 years to cover the power steering assist is not working properly. My 2009 LS power steering lost more or less its usual assist several times from this Sept. Anybody else got the letter?
Any idea if they are going to recall the rack? Or is it called the power steering gear box?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received a letter saying if you were having problems with p/s to see the dealer, so I did that because I have always had problems with it almost since the day I bought it. I brought it in, I believe the only thing they did was flush it. Well its still making the noise and I went through a big water puddle one day when it was pouring rain out and I lost all power sterring and almost went of an embankment. I took it in for an oil change today and now they tell me my p/s fluid is leaking out of my steering gear and it all needs to be replaced at the cost of $1780!!! Nothing was mentioned less then two months ago that it was leaking. Sure seems p/s and gear are a HUGE problem to alot of people. Sure seemes there should be a recall. If there is I would love to know about it. Otherwise I'm getting rid of it! Maybe a FORD

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
neustkg said:
Any idea if they are going to recall the rack? Or is it called the power steering gear box?
No recall, but GM did extend the warranty on the Traverse POWER STEERING PUMP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
experienced the loss/reduce of power steering assistance, feeling pretty hard to turn the wheel at low speed. The dealer re-produced this at their location and said they will replace the steering pump at no cost of me. Hope to fix the problem and no new issues. Will report when I get my Traverse back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
neustkg said:
My wife came home from work about a month ago now stating that the steering was very difficult especially in sharp turns like trying to park.
I at first brought it to my local mechanic who stated that there was a special service (not a recall) #14329 for the power steering pump that Chevy would replace the pump (the pump only - not the rack). I called Chevy to find out about it and also arranged service through a local dealer.
After I brought the Traverse to the dealer, they called me stating that the rack was also leaking and had to be replaced - for $1900! The dealer refused to replace the pump without also replacing the rack. I picked up my Traverse from the dealer without any service being done. I brought it back to my mechanic who repaired the leak in the rack fro about $150.00 He stated that there was no leak in the rack when I first brought it to him. The dealer intentionally caused a leak in the rack in order to have to replace it. This is because the dealers do not get that much money from GM for recalls and special service items like the pump so they have to bilk the customer. I still have to have the pump replaced and will have to take a day off from work to go the dealer where I bought it from - hopefully with just the pump being replaced. I have also logged a complaint with the state AG on the dealer.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
dr042696 said:
My wife came home from work about a month ago now stating that the steering was very difficult especially in sharp turns like trying to park.
I at first brought it to my local mechanic who stated that there was a special service (not a recall) #14329 for the power steering pump that Chevy would replace the pump (the pump only - not the rack). I called Chevy to find out about it and also arranged service through a local dealer.
After I brought the Traverse to the dealer, they called me stating that the rack was also leaking and had to be replaced - for $1900! The dealer refused to replace the pump without also replacing the rack. I picked up my Traverse from the dealer without any service being done. I brought it back to my mechanic who repaired the leak in the rack fro about $150.00 He stated that there was no leak in the rack when I first brought it to him. The dealer intentionally caused a leak in the rack in order to have to replace it. This is because the dealers do not get that much money from GM for recalls and special service items like the pump so they have to bilk the customer. I still have to have the pump replaced and will have to take a day off from work to go the dealer where I bought it from - hopefully with just the pump being replaced. I have also logged a complaint with the state AG on the dealer.
First, what did your mechanic do to the rack to fix it for $ 150.00 ?

Second, regarding your comments ...... " The dealer intentionally caused a leak in the rack in order to have to replace it. This is because the dealers do not get that much money from GM for recalls and special service items like the pump so they have to bilk the customer."

Clearly, you have no understanding as to what you are saying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this forum but am the original owner of 2009 Traverse. Had problems with power steering and local dealer at the time wasn't able to offer information regarding it being a common problem. Took it to trusted mechanic who replaced the whole pump and rack etc totaling $2371.49 on 9/5/2014. Received recall notice regarding power steering problems after work was done and that possible reimbursement by GM but I have lost forms to submit to them. Anyone know how I can submit copies of receipts for work done on power steering?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
145 Posts
IdahoChevy said:
I am new to this forum but am the original owner of 2009 Traverse. Had problems with power steering and local dealer at the time wasn't able to offer information regarding it being a common problem. Took it to trusted mechanic who replaced the whole pump and rack etc totaling $2371.49 on 9/5/2014. Received recall notice regarding power steering problems after work was done and that possible reimbursement by GM but I have lost forms to submit to them. Anyone know how I can submit copies of receipts for work done on power steering?

Thanks in advance!
Contact GM Customer Care on this forum and provide them with your VIN # and tell them your situation... they should be able to get you the documents you need for the partial or ?? reimbursement. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
IdahoChevy...

just be prepared-- to have your request denied.

Work done outside of dealers or GM authorized repair shops--- are usually denied.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
IdahoChevy said:

Thanks in advance!
Hello IdahoChevy,

We would be more than happy to look into this more. Feel free to send us a private message as ERK suggested and provide the information also stated. We look forward to your message soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Hello IdahoChevy,

We would be more than happy to look into this more. Feel free to send us a private message as ERK suggested and provide the information also stated. We look forward to your message soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Another newb here and I had a similiar issue. One dealership drained/changed fluid and charged me for the service! The other local dealership where we bought tires explained that the notice had commas, not "or's" and would have replaced the pump outright. But suggested I get the steering gear replaced first which I did a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new as well. The power steering failure is certainly very frustrating. It has come to the point that my wife has handed the keys for our 2010 LS model over and because of the number of failures she has, with kids in the car, she refuses to drive it any longer. I will make the 3rd attempt this week to see if I can get any where with our local dealership. Last 2 attempts have been unsuccessful as they have indicated to me they know nothing about a PS recall and have not "really" heard much about this issue with the Traverse....REALLY?? I will try to keep this forum posted as it looks like my frustration will continue or I will be out $1,500-$2,500 in repairs. This is a GM forum and the fewest complaints about PS with the Traverse than the other 5-6 I have looked at.....fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dave00 said:
Does anyone have an particulars on the TSB# and what vehicle model years are actually covered under the extended warranty of the PS pump and rack?
#PI0029H August 3, 2012 which replaced PI0029G which was for the, squeak or rub noise while turning at low speeds... replacement on 2010 1LT last September 2014. I tried to download the portion or pages for the forum however, I can't figure out an easy way to not include other records. Hope this helps!

Update: Okay, I scanned the 8 pages however the attachment is too large. Anyone know where to post the pdf files for others to view?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2010 (bought used) has 140,000 miles on it. I just replaced the power steering pump this weekend. The pump that I took off was painted black and had an orange "Re manufactured" sticker on it. It makes me wonder how many pumps this car has already had.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
intertesting find.
Some folks have had it replaced 2-3 times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a question. I know there is some squeaking usually just because that is how the car is. Ive started in the past few days getting a lot of whirring noise when turning and it is a little tough to turn. However it does not start until I have been driving for about 20 minutes or so. I had the steering rack (i would have to check my paperwork) a few years ago. Could this be the pump going bad. I have 130,000 miles so I would be out of luck I guess.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Trasom806 said:
My 2010 (bought used) has 140,000 miles on it. I just replaced the power steering pump this weekend. The pump that I took off was painted black and had an orange "Re manufactured" sticker on it. It makes me wonder how many pumps this car has already had.
Our steering gear has been replaced twice, the pump once. I believe the power steering pump has extended coverage to 150K miles (special coverage 14329).

·
Registered
857 Posts
bethy37 said:
I had a question. I know there is some squeaking usually just because that is how the car is. Ive started in the past few days getting a lot of whirring noise when turning and it is a little tough to turn. However it does not start until I have been driving for about 20 minutes or so. I had the steering rack (i would have to check my paperwork) a few years ago. Could this be the pump going bad. I have 130,000 miles so I would be out of luck I guess.
Per an earlier post, check with your dealer about special coverage 14329 that extends steering pump coverage to 150K miles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
bethy37 said:
This is the symptoms I had and the pump was replaced under warranty.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts