Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just got a recall letter from GM says the power steering pump warranty has been changed to 240000km or 10 years to cover the power steering assist is not working properly. My 2009 LS power steering lost more or less its usual assist several times from this Sept. Anybody else got the letter?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Have not received the letter.
But about 3 weeks ago- this recall # appeared on my Onstar Acct warranty info.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No letter and I'm kind of surprised there is a letter as this is not a "recall" per say just an extension of the warranty IF you have that particular problems, which there is a pretty good chance that many will unless they had the upgrade with the Dex VI and seal done before. Does your letter indicate a "recall" in any way, is it directly from GM?

There is information about this floating around on the boards, the best info I have seen so far is actually on the Enclave forum and at least one member there has successfully had the repair performed.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
rbarrios said:
Have not received the letter.
But about 3 weeks ago- this recall # appeared on my Onstar Acct warranty info.
Hey there,

We are here if extra help is needed. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN and we will look into any open recalls that are associated with your vehicle. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
495 Posts
Has anyone who's already paid for p/s pump work successfully been reimbursed? I haven't gotten any notice yet. Although I've been playing phone tag with a lady from the dealer who called me about an "urgent opportunity for my Traverse", though I'm betting odds are it's to trade it in or some other sales pitch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got one of those letter also,they say there is a shortage of used Traverses out there and they would give me a great deal for my trade on a 2015.Not looking yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
firedog79 said:
No letter and I'm kind of surprised there is a letter as this is not a "recall" per say just an extension of the warranty IF you have that particular problems, which there is a pretty good chance that many will unless they had the upgrade with the Dex VI and seal done before. Does your letter indicate a "recall" in any way, is it directly from GM?

There is information about this floating around on the boards, the best info I have seen so far is actually on the Enclave forum and at least one member there has successfully had the repair performed.
You are right, it's an extended warranty, not a recall. And my 2009 Traverse just started to show this issue from end of September.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I got one of those letter also,they say there is a shortage of used Traverses out there and they would give me a great deal for my trade on a 2015.Not looking yet.
Another dealer lie. I've gotten these letters on almost every car I've owned. They just want to give you a crap deal on your trade-in and sell you a new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just called my local Chevy dealership spoke to a service advisor and explained my issue and concerns he did some reading on service bulletins and said there was a known issue with power steering ( duh) and was told to bring it in loaner would be giving and if problem is found to be powers steering /rack system-his words it would be 100% covered to fix/replace so I would suggest for those with same issues call or go by dealership and get it looked at make sure you tell them that you know of a program that GM is aware of this problem and has posted in service bulletins about this problem 1 dealere acted like I was misinformed and quoted me a price in the$1400-1600 range and said he hasn't heard of any issue like I described so thought I would just pass this along

·
Registered
9 Posts
happyfamily said:
Hi,

Just got a recall letter from GM says the power steering pump warranty has been changed to 240000km or 10 years to cover the power steering assist is not working properly. My 2009 LS power steering lost more or less its usual assist several times from this Sept. Anybody else got the letter?
Yesterday, 1 November, received this letter dated September 2014 from GM. The letter clearly states to not take your Traverse in for the extended warranty repair "unless you believe" your vehicle has the described condition (manual steering, particularly at low speeds). I have no slow speed p/s/ pump condition as yet, but my '09 Traverse is darn near reaching the 150k mile mark which is the outside mileage limit for the extended warranty.

Has anyone actually paid $$ to fix the p/s pump issue?

What I have found after doing some research is that back on 22 March 2013 GM was named in a class-action lawsuit by a California law firm over this issue in any of the "class vehicles": the 2009-2012 GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse.

GM filed a motion to dismiss the class action lawsuit, but the motion was denied by the court. The GM-wide recall if symptoms are present is their method of dealing with this safety issue.

Most of the complaints have been about of a "whirring noise" and total steering failure when making any turn at a low speed.

The fix the dealer will perform does not appear to be replacing the pump itself, but replacing the steering gear bushings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too got the letter last week for my 2010 Traverse. I actually paid $1000 for the pump repair last year. I was loosing steering power when making u turns or tight turns. The letter does say that if I've made any repairs that I can get reimburse. I went to the dealer on Friday with my letter and they pulled up the repair invoice. They said that I would get reimbursed for the repairs. They said that GM will send a check to the dealer and the dealer "cuts" me a check. But something that is bothering me is that they also repaired the steering gear. Dealerships are always like "We dont know if its the pump or the gear, but its best that we replace both" So that was another $1000.

Do you guys think that I could get reimburse for for the gear repair as well? I am calling the agent on Monday to find out and I will post any updates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my vehicle repaired for this problem last spring. $2000 for the repair. Dropped the letter off today, dealer said 30-45 days before they will know if GM will honor it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does anyone have an particulars on the TSB# and what vehicle model years are actually covered under the extended warranty of the PS pump and rack?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Just opened my letter. It is NOT a TSB. It is NOT a RECALL. It is simply a warranty notice.

It says that some 2011 model year Traverses (I assume your's will say whatever MY you have) "may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist. The vehicle may revert to manual steering which requires greater driver effort, particularly at low vehicle speeds.

Do not take your vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above."

So it's simply a notice that this issue will now be covered under warranty. It says "If this condition occurs on your (MY) Chevrolet Traverse within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

There's also a reimbursement form if you've already paid to have it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have received a letter to bring the paperwork to my dealer for reimbursement. Few months ago I had a power steering issue and spend almost $2,000 on repair. I had complained to Chevy customer service and notified them of this problem. If you received this letter, it is possible that some one who owned your car had repair work done prior to your purchase. If you see a new yellow label to use Dextron 6 on power steering cap, then you might have had the dealer perform repairs.

I had diagnostic fee, power steering flushed, then rack replaced, then pump replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received the letter yesterday. I turned in the reimbursement form today. It was TOO good to be real. I've had the pump AND the Rack and pinion THREE times. Turns out out I'm only being reimbursed for the Pump, because the recall is ONLY for the pump. If the Rack had to be replaced, it's obvious that the pump failing affects the rack, other wise why would it have to be replaced because it was "Binding". Three Times!

The reimbursement, is the least of my concerns. The real issue is SAFETY! I'm concerned that on the fourth time the pump goes out, my wife or I, will not be able to control the vehicle and well.... you know where I'm going with this.

Good luck to everyone with this issue!!!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
RAMOEC said:
I received the letter yesterday. I turned in the reimbursement form today. It was TOO good to be real. I've had the pump AND the Rack and pinion THREE times. Turns out out I'm only being reimbursed for the Pump, because the recall is ONLY for the pump. If the Rack had to be replaced, it's obvious that the pump failing affects the rack, other wise why would it have to be replaced because it was "Binding". Three Times!

The reimbursement, is the least of my concerns. The real issue is SAFETY! I'm concerned that on the fourth time the pump goes out, my wife or I, will not be able to control the vehicle and well.... you know where I'm going with this.

Good luck to everyone with this issue!!!
We understand the guidelines of the reimbursement were unclear to you and we want to apologize. Safety is paramount to us at General Motors so we hate to hear you feel your Traverse does not meet this standard. If you would like to PM us your VIN, contact information and dealership name we will gladly address any further concerns you may have.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 88 Posts