Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in my new (since 1/7/11) LTZ that the rear side windows stay fogged up. The front three are fine and the rear also. But even on full blast defrost they stay fogged up. Never had that problem in my Trailblazer. But my Trailblazer would also let me keep the A/c on to dry out the air at any temp. The Traverse won't let me keep the a/c on under 40 degrees.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Are the back ceiling vents open. I had this issue once and discovered the kids had closed all the vents. So I wasn't getting enough warm air in the back.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
this same question recently came up in the Terrain forum--- I made a suggestion- and some 'funny' people there werent too kind to the suggestion.
But who knows if it will work if none tried it.

But here goes-- worth a try.

Shaving cream- applied to bathroom mirrors- and wiped off - keeps them clear even when its all foggy in there......
Its worth a try to apply to half the glass- and see if it keeps them clear in your car.
Im guessing that if its cold enough- the fog/moisture could ice up on your glass.
but- hey you can try- nothing to lose.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are also some anti-fog products you can apply to the inside of the windows. Used to use em when I was riding motorcycles year round. It's similar to rain-x. Wipe on and then wipe off. You can get them most commonly at motorcycle accessory shops, but I think at regular auto supply stores too.

Alternatively, you could just keep those windows rolled down all the time. Problem solved! ::)

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
i think the people getting fog- are in the frozen parts of the country.
I think on the terrain forum- the OP was saying the fog was icing up INSIDE the car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
rbarrios said:
i think the people getting fog- are in the frozen parts of the country.
I think on the terrain forum- the OP was saying the fog was icing up INSIDE the car.
I have heard of that also. The increased humidity from the melting snow that is brought in to the car can condense and freeze on the inside of the window. I have never personally see this happen though.

screw991le said:
But my Trailblazer would also let me keep the A/c on to dry out the air at any temp. The Traverse won't let me keep the a/c on under 40 degrees.
Your Traverse will automatically use the a/c condensor to dehumidify the air in the defrost mode even if you can't manually select that option due to outside ambient temp.

·
Registered
860 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
I have heard of that also. The increased humidity from the melting snow that is brought in to the car can condense and freeze on the inside of the window. I have never personally see this happen though.
Your Traverse will automatically use the a/c condensor to dehumidify the air in the defrost mode even if you can't manually select that option due to outside ambient temp.
+1 on everything said here...he beat me to it

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I don't know if I agree with the poster above.

If the temp outside is below 40 degrees, your a/c will not engage. Not any part of it. So you will not get any dehumidification....if there is no water dripping outside the vehicle, then there is no water leaving the inside.

This is why defrost is not as effective in the winter time.

What is especially bad, is snowy boots. they melt on the floor mat, then you have your HVAC on feet, and all that moisture evapourates and then is in the air. As soon as it hits a cold surface (ie window), it condenses again, and you get fog.

Have you tried rubber floor mats, so that you capture the wet snow, and dump it out? Also, try knock the snow off your boots before you get in you vehicle.

Like another poster mentioned, open the rear vents, and aim them at the back side windows and crank your HVAC.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was repeating what was in other posts about the a/c being on with the defroster...however, up searching the online 2009 Traverse owner's manual, this is not entirely correct. I passed on a mistruth. The A/C is ONLY on if the ambient temperature is greater than 40F.

0(Defrost): This mode quickly
clears the windshield of fog or frost.
Air is directed to the windshield
and side window vents, with some
to the floor vents. In this mode,
outside air is pulled inside the
vehicle. Recirculation cannot be
selected while in the defrost mode.
The air conditioning system runs
automatically in this setting, unless
the outside temperature is less
than 40°F (4°C). Do not drive