Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I thougt the car was inside far enough and opened the lift gate.

The rear door bumped a moment against the closed garage door and then reversed to close.

There was tiny pin head nick where the black paint toucned a door hinge, (not really a scratch at all - lucky).

It seems that the distance from the rear bumper and the power lift gate are not linked. As in, "The car senses if there is something right in back, so it does not open the liftgate."

I suppose this needs to be like this so you can stand in front of it and open it, (most people simply move back as the door is lifted).

However, it would have been nice if it did not move - but just alarmed.

Regards,

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nope, they don't work like that....they just open, but as you found out....will reverse if an obstruction is found, and keeps it from moving. Best thing to do is turn off the power gate with the switch on the center console, and just to be sure...use it manually till you find the spot that works.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I agree it would be nice if they somehow could work together. I manually tested it to make sure I could open it in my garage, and it is tight but no issues. I have to make sure I pull all the way in until my tire hits the curb in the garage and I'm fine, otherwise it will hit. I had a close call before, I was walking out to the car with bags and opened the back, after getting close to the car this moron parked so close to my rear that the lift gate almost hit him :angryfire:

Glad to know it will stop opening and close again if it hits something, however the damage (scratch, ding) may happen as a result.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ya...wish it had a sensor....ours was in the garage, and the wife went to open the trunk of her car (in the driveway)...it didn't open....so guess what opened instead??...the tailgate on the Traverse....she had the wrong FOB....so the tailgate smashed into the garage door and put a nice deep scratch on it....took it to the dealer, and they made a nice little fix job on it and never charged us a dime...can hardly notice unless you look really hard...so now I turn the inside switch off unless I am out and know I am going to use it....

Medman :banghead:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I also wish it had a programmable lift, I know the new Cadillac has it. You can set it to open only so high, this would fix the issue of hitting the garage. On the filp side I am happy that it opens so high because I am tall (6'5") and have hit my head a couple times on my jeep when it is open all the way. At least with the Traverse I dont hit my head as much!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too have been worried about the hatch colliding with the garage door. That's why I've resorted to that old standby of a tennis ball on a string suspended from the ceiling above the windscreen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too found out the hard way that the sensor doesn't kick in until it's too late. We had our new Traverse in the garage , opened the rear tail gate and sure enough it hit the gargage door and I have a nice scratch in it now....at only 600 km's...nice

Dealership will repair but hopefully future editions have a better system.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
i know the 2010 equinox- has that feature- where you can program it to open to a certain height...
either so it does not hit something above... or so that short women- can program it to open so that the handle/button is at their arm lenght.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts