Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a new 2011 Traverse and contemplating the rear DVD entertainment system options. Can anyone provide their general insight as to the pros/cons of installing the dual headrest DVD system (as a dealer installation or an after-market installation) versus the overhead factory DVD system?

I need to entertain 2 kids who will be sitting in their own captains chairs in the 2nd row. They are both young right now (5 & 2) but I plan on having the vehicle for quite awhile. A couple of questions regarding the dual headrest system:

• Is it possible to control either of the rear headrest DVD modules from the front row - either remotely or via the head unit?
  • Can you play the same DVD/CD disc on both DVD screens - i.e. play disc in one and have it displayed on both devices?
  • Is it possible to play a DVD in the head unit and have it displayed on the 2 headrest screens?
  • Is the dual headrest system integrated into the head unit?
  • Can the audio from the dual headrest system be played on the head unit over the vehicle's speakers or only through the wireless headphones
  • If I purchase the dual headrest system and not the overhead display, can the wireless headphones play the audio from the vehicle's head unit/stereo - i.e. FM?

Questions regarding the overhead system:

• Does the overhead display impede the visibility of the rear-view mirror
  • Can I play the radio over the car's speakers while a DVD is playing on the overhead display and the wireless headphones are being used?

Thanks for any and all input provided.

Bryan

·
Registered
860 Posts
We have the overhead DVD system.

Yes, the DVD screen does impede rear-view somewhat, but I wouldn't say it's horrible. Our boys only get to watch movies on long highway trips anyway (2 hours or more). We do not play movies any other time.

Yes, the DVD's audio can be played only on the headphones while you are still listening to the radio or XM through the speakers in the front seat area. You can't listen to a CD while a DVD is playing.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong about the dual-headrest system...

I believe each monitor has its own player and audio control and cannot be controlled from the front seat. Also, these units only play audio via the headphones--this DVD system is not integrated with the main audio system.

I hope this helps.

A

·
0 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
You can't listen to a CD while a DVD is playing.
I am sitting here trying to think of a time when the overhead DVD was playing and I wanted to listen to a CD in the front-------can't think of a time when this has happened, but I will be trying it out tomorrow

Toddzilla67 said:
this DVD system is not integrated with the main audio system.
Being a dealer installed option; I would say that is correct

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have overhead DVD:
1. To me the overhead doesn't block rear view at all, because its size is not big, I am 5'9" tall.(Edit: actually it does block a little, but that's only the sky in the rear view and had never noticed it)
2. I can let kid watch DVD through the head phone and I use the speaker to do whatever I want, listen to the radio, ipod/jump driver through USB, call through my cell phone(need connectivity package), I didn't try use CD, do not know if I can use, you know usb is so convenient... But can't think of why not,
I only have one kid, so haven't try the second headphone. The headphone has a switch to select 2 channels, 1 is default to DVD, 2 can be changed to other through the control unit on the front of second row.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The audio system is a one disc system--you cannot play a DVD and a CD at the same time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No, there is another CD/Mp3 slot under. I think if you don't have DVD system, you'll have this only.

Toddzilla67 said:
The audio system is a one disc system--you cannot play a DVD and a CD at the same time.

·
Registered
860 Posts
popeyelk said:
No, there is another CD/Mp3 slot under. I think if you don't have DVD system, you'll have this only.
I have navigation, so there is only one disc slot for CD/DVD playing if you have a navigation system. There is a disc slot behind the nav screen, but it's for the nav disc.

My apologies for any confusion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, I don't have the nav system...
Thanks for clarifying it.

Toddzilla67 said:
I have navigation, so there is only one disc slot for CD/DVD playing if you have a navigation system. There is a disc slot behind the nav screen, but it's for the nav disc.

My apologies for any confusion.

·
Registered
551 Posts
  • Is it possible to control either of the rear headrest DVD modules from the front row - either remotely or via the head unit?
No, this is not possible. Other then reaching back and doing it

• Can you play the same DVD/CD disc on both DVD screens - i.e. play disc in one and have it displayed on both devices?
Yes, You can play the same movie on both screens or different movies on each sreen.

• Is it possible to play a DVD in the head unit and have it displayed on the 2 headrest screens?
No.

• Is the dual headrest system integrated into the head unit?
No

• Can the audio from the dual headrest system be played on the head unit over the vehicle's speakers or only through the wireless headphones
it can be played through the car spears by setting your radio to a certain station, or it can be played through the provided headphones

• If I purchase the dual headrest system and not the overhead display, can the wireless headphones play the audio from the vehicle's head
    No.

I have the dual DVD and love it, however I like how you can play the dvd from the nav system in an overhead system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for their replies and comments. I think I'm going to stick with the factory installed overhead DVD. I don't think the kids are quite old enough yet to operate the DVD themselves and I'd rather that we have some control of it from the front. And I figure that by the time they are old enough to operate their own electronics they will probably have iPads or some other tablet device that they'll use to watch whatever media they feel like. Plus the dual DVD system is quite a bit more to be installed by the dealer and I'm not handy enough to purchase it after-market and install myself. Maybe an upgrade later...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its really great that you can listen to music while your kids are watching DVD. Too bad that you cant use the USB to listen to your ipod while they watch only CD's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have the overhead system but not the NAV for the very reason that you can play CDs and a DVD at the same time when the kids use the head phones. You can also play the movie over the entire car system as you drive if you wish. I don't fined the screen interfering with the rear view. Hope this helps. Regards.

George

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just a couple of observations after using an overhead unit for several years in our minivan. It's an aftermarket Panasonic that I installed myself (much better than the stock Toyota one in my mother-in-law's identical van). Our unit has the DVD drive directly built into the player. This was kind of a pain for a long time, as it was a real stretch to put a disc in from the front seat. Fortunately, once the disc is in, it's easy enough to control the player via remote from the front seat. In retrospect, I probably would have installed a unit with in-dash controls just to make it easier to change discs. However, now that I have a 9 year old, I just let her do the disc swapping, and the only thing I have to worry about is whether the kids all agree to watch the same thing.

As for headphones, we have never had any luck with them. We started out with a couple of nice ones, and the kids refused to use them. They just never liked them. Plus the batteries don't last all that long (even with automatic shut-off) and the little ones often don't know why they're not working. I've gotten used to driving to the sound of movies (there are literally several movies that I can quote nearly verbatim even though I've never actually SEEN them!) Usually, if I don't want to hear the movie, I just turn the sound all the way to the rear speakers, which allows the kids to hear just fine while my wife and I can carry on a normal conversation. There have been times (especially on longer trips) when I really wished the kids would use headphones so that I could listen to something else (especially when my wife goes to sleep), but keeping track of 5 sets of headphones is not something I'm willing to deal with.

Headrest units are great for second row passengers, but I would think they would be tough for 3rd row passengers to see if the 2nd row passengers have heads. The overhead unit is easily visible from all 6 rear seats.

Also, any unit that uses an FM modulator to play through the main stereo system is going to be inferior to a hardwired system. Don't know how the headset units in the Traverse are, but I've seen several aftermarket and OEM in other brands that were difficult to hear even when cranked up to full volume.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Matno said:
As for headphones, we have never had any luck with them.
I think I am a lucky one, now my 2yrs will ask for the headphone whenever he wants to watch DVD, maybe he is too young to complain. . :happy:

The sound quality is ok, my only concern is he played with the volume wheel once, and it was so loud that I can even hear it on the front seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts