Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried fixing this through the menu on the rear screen, but the top and bottom black bars take away almost half the screen which really squishes the picture. Changing the settings in the rear screen menu does nothing to the picture or black bars at all.

Please help--we're jumping in the car for a 1000 mile trip on Friday afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
i think bars appear on movies that were filmed in regular 4:3 aspect ratio-
newer movies are filmed in 16:9...
would playing a movie that says 16:9 aspect ration on the back (info) help?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried all widescreen movies on the screen with the same results even after changing the settings and shutting the car off and trying again.

On a 16:9 screen like the Traverse has, the bars would appear on the sides of the screen if the movie was filmed in 4:3 format. In some widescreen movies (2.35:1 for example), there will be bars above and below the screen image. In a 1.78:1 movie there will usually be no bars visible on a 16:9 screen. I'm seeing about a 3.5 or 4:1 ratio on the screen now and it's almost more black bars than movie image.

The only other thing I can think of is to adjust the settings while the rear screen is the only screen operating.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm... in that case... im stumped.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too. I'll fiddle with it after my wife gets home.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for some help from Michelle if possible.

We are having additional issues with the CD/DVD/NAV unit in this vehicle and wanted to find out if any of the following have been addressed at the corporate level.

CD player will continue to spin CD even if we are listening to another source (FM/XM/AUX). Sometimes we'll just remove the CD (because we can hear the player motor) and the disc is hot to the touch,
Still have aspect ratio issues with overhead DVD display--perhaps this is related to the CD player issue.

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
hmm. I would have guess too that the black bars on the screen were due to the DVD itstelf, and not the player. Honestly, I didn't even know that there was any adjustment to the screen on the Traverse's DVD screen. Do you have the single overhead screen, or the dual headrest screens? I don't know if that would make any difference or not, but from what I've seen the Overhead screen is more of a "widescreen" screen like modern TV's, and the Headrest screens are more like the 4.3 ratio, and square. That could hvae something to do with it.

Also, see if there is a factory reset. You know, an option that says it will go back to the factory settings. Maybe someone messed with the screen prior to your ownership. Maybe when they showed someone the screen, they changed a setting, and it's not obvious what to change to get it back.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have the overhead DVD. The black bars (if needed) are out of proportion to what they should be--we play these movies on our 16:9 (widescreen) TV with no issues at all. DVD menus play at correct aspect ratio and fill up the screen without distorting the image, but the movies looks horrible on the overhead screen. Movies play fine on the NAV screen--no issues.

There is menu access via the remote control that lets a user adjust the overhead screen settings. But I get these issues regardless of which settings I choose.

I will check into a factory reset. However, this Traverse had 3 miles on it when we bought it--I watched it roll off the truck and we bought it a week later. This thing wasn't even taken for a test-drive, so I don't believe a customer had a chance to mess with this. But I've been wrong before.

Drive safe in the freezing fog this morning...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts