Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

2021 Traverse
I have a set of DVD players that I want to splice onto the connections for the AC120-150W outlet. Can someone help me out as to which ones need to be hooked to what? I want the connections to power on and off with the vehicle.
Colors go from left to right: black, white with green stripe, red, blue.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Not clear what your pictures are.

But the first pic clearly appears to be for 12 volt DC power. You do NOT want to attach 12V DC power wires to 120 volt AC power (unless you're wiring in a converter, like a wall wart, that will convert the 120V AC to 12V DC).

You need to connect the 12 volt DC power wires from the DVD's to the 12 volt DC auxiliary power outlet (aka cigarette lighter) wires on the back of the front console. Unfortunately, this outlet is not switched; it's on all the time (at least on the Gen 1's; you don't say what year Traverse you have).

First pic below is the 12V DC auxiliary outlets wiring. Second pic is the 120 VAC Inverter wiring. Both are Gen 1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[/QUOTE]
I have a '21 Traverse. My options for power are a set of usb ports powered by a black and a purple wire. My other option is the 120 outlet shown in the photo above. I could run it through the bottom and wire it up to the from 12v i guess but I didn't want to have to do that unless there was no other way.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
USB ports are typically 5 volts DC. Won't help you if you need 12 volts DC.

And as I said, if you need 12 volts DC, you can't use the 120 volt outlet unless you have a converter to change the 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
562 Posts
Tapping into the 12v supply to the inverter would be an option. Meter will tell you polarity and if it's ignition switched.
It's just a matter of tools and skills.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
He wants to tap in inside the front console (based on his pic). The inverter and it's 12 volt supply is back in the left rear quarter panel, where the jack is stored. Of course, the 12 volt wiring has to get from the front of the car to the inverter in the rear, but I'm about 75% sure that it does NOT run through the front console. That means he has to use the 12 volt supply to the "cigarette" lighter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He wants to tap in inside the front console (based on his pic). The inverter and it's 12 volt supply is back in the left rear quarter panel, where the jack is stored. Of course, the 12 volt wiring has to get from the front of the car to the inverter in the rear, but I'm about 75% sure that it does NOT run through the front console. That means he has to use the 12 volt supply to the "cigarette" lighter.
Nailed it. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts