Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few posts on this but haven't seen where anyone has actually completed the work. I'm thinking of removing the rear center console to make it easier to access the rear seating. Currently we have two kids in car seats in the captains chairs so it makes it impossible to move the middle seats up and out of the way for entry without first removing the car seats. That's simply too much trouble.

I understand that there may be a hole(s) in the carpet, but I can cover that with a floor mat of some sort. I also understand that there are no armrests on the inboard side of the chairs, but that's not an issue with the carseats in there. The kids don't need them. The only thing I'll be losing is a place to readily store the head phones, but we can make something work for that.

Does anyone have a service manual that shows what all is involved to get the center console out? What all do I have to remove/get out of the way to get the console out? I may find more answers by taking a closer look at it myself but I have done much investigating yet. We just bought it 3 days ago, and I've been too busy with other things to take a look at it.

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Josh

·
Registered
417 Posts
If it's like normal GM consoles, just pull out all the bins from the top and you should be able to see down to the bottom and a few bolts that hold it to the floor. Have a few different wrenches handy, as they may be tough to get to. The OEM mat for a console-less version seems to cover about 1/2 the area (from the 3rd row seat area) So you may need another mat to finish the cover job. Not too sure.

We didn't get the center console. At first I was a little worried that I might want it, but I keep hearing stories like yours. So I'm kinda glad I didn't. And, if I did want one in the end there are so many 3rd party consoles available. Good luck with your removal, I hope it goes well.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as Narg.
I think theres also some electrical connectors in there?
So you MAY have to figure out how to hide the wires once you remove the center console...
It will be good if the wiring plugs into another harness somewhere under the carpet...
You can store the headphones in the front console... since its so big.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a techinical manual that shows the install of the center console? Just looking for an idea of where to start removeing things. The console appears to have tabs under plastic sections between the seats. Hoping that I don't have to remove the seats to pull this thing out.

Going to start working on it tonight. If I think about it, I'll try to take pictures of the process.

Josh

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
this is for the 2009 Outlook- but should be similar for the other lambdas.
its not a how to remove-- but at least you can see an exploded view.

2. Mat 3. Ebony Right 4. Ebony
5. Lower, Ebony 6. Upper, Ebony 7. Ebony
8. Ebony 9. Bezel Back 10. Liner Back
11. W/o wood 12. W/o wood 13. Ebony
14. Latch, Ebony 16. Bumper 17. Ebony
18. Housing 19. Housing cover 20. Tray
21. Mat 22. Front 23. Rear
24. Latch 25. Power outlet 26. Retainer
27. Harness

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have removed the console in my traverse as well but when I got to the bottom, I didn't remove the steel plate. I'm not sure if I need to take it in to a dealer to have them remove it since it's bolted down with the seats as well. Are you needing to cover the area between the seats with new carpeting? I'm curious on what I should do since it may be involving more than I'm bargaining for but I don't like having the steel plate still there for my kids to walk over every time they go to the rear seats. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just question I want throw out here, I'm kind different situaton in that was looking for a second row console black...does any one wish to sell theirs.....private message me. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts