Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased our '09 LTZ because we were looking for an SUV/crossover with captains chairs in the center to make it easier to access the rear seating. The reason for wanting the captains chairs was the fact that we, at least for the next few years, will have child car seats attached to them and want to be able to put people in the back without them having to crawl around and over the seats. For now, we wanted to remove the console, until the kids are out of there car seats, when we will then be able use the slide/fold functionality of the captains chairs.

I searched around and didn't find any descriptions of this actually being done. I read of concerns of holes in the carpet and also concerns with the power connection in the console. So, I decided to just try it and see how it went. 30 minutes later (minus vacuum time so the pictures wouldn't have a bunch of dirt in them :) ) the console was out and I'm pleased with the results. Here's what I did.

First I looked around the seats and console and didn't see any obvious place to unbolt anything. I didn't think that disassembling the whole thing was necessary so I tried pulling up the plastic pieces under the chairs. Came up with a slight tug.

Passenger rear plastic cover (one side still in place)

Should have taken more pics of the plastic piece removal but didn't. Just note the tabs and where they go so you'll know what order replace them in. Not too tough, they have tabs on the bottom that snap into rectangular holes in the seat frame. You can barely see the end of one of the holes at the bottom of the pic above.

Once all of the plastic is removed, you will see the power connector plug that is hidden under the plastic to the rear of the console. Just push in on the side of the connector and tug gently to unplug. I'm going to tape up the end with electrical tape to keep any debris out.

Once the plastic is out of the way and the connection to the power port is unplugged you can remove the 4 anchor bolts at the corners of the console. I used a 16mm socket but there was a little play. May have just been the cheap socket.

Front Driver's side bolt

Rear Driver's side bolt (plastic piece covering the power connector still in place)

Front Passenger side bolt

Rear Passenger side bolt (plastic piece covering the power connector still in place)

Once the bolts are removed (and the power connection is unplugged) the console is free and ready to be removed. It's not that heavy but awkward so be careful lifting. Metal "feet" could easily scratch other parts of the interior. The bolts need to be replaced to secure the chair frame and plug the holes. (a little strange seeing the ground from inside the cabin)

Here is a shot of the front of the captains chairs after the removal of the console before replacing the bolts.

Another shot after behind the center seats

View of the power connection after replacing the bolts and before re-installing the floor mats.

View from the driver side after the mats are replaced (sorry for the poor pic quality on this one).

View from the front after the mats are replaced.

View looking down at the floor after the stock mats are in place.

I'm going to look around for a mat to fit in the center section that will cover the places where the current carpet doesn't cover completely. I'll post an update on what I find.

Hope this helps. It was much easier than I thought it would be and on a difficulty scale of 1 to 5 I'd give it a 2. Mainly because of the strain to remove the bolts. If you've got any questions about something that I didn't cover or need better descriptions of part of the process, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
very nice!.
I know there was someone asking about this just today...

ooopss-- just figured out it was you....

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey, Do you still have that center console? Interested in selling it?

Kg

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nice post, thanks!

We too have the center console and go back and forth about wanting it or not wanting it. I think for the most part we like it as you can put a ton of stuff in it, however it is nice to know we can take it out! :cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice post!

Is the wiring there to add a console where there isn't one?

We have the captains chairs with no console.... Right now that works great with carseats, you can still get to the back through the middle. But down the road (when the car seats are gone), it might be nice to have the storage and stuff in the console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We bought a 2010 Traverse LTZ this past weekend and it had the read center console. Currently our kids are young and in car seats so it makes it hard to get to the third row. Found your directions on how to remove it as we would like to keep it and put it back in as the kids get old enough to use the sliding seats. These directions were spot on and the job was only about 15-20 minutes. Thank you very much for your GREAT directions!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bump-

I recently purchased a 2010 LTC with the center console installed. As others in this thread have noticed, the center console can be a pain with two car seats in the captain's chairs. I used these instructions to remove the center console tonight, and it came out with no problems.

Shout-out to the original poster for make it such an easy process for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts