Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been watching for rear bumper protectors for the 2018, but no one seems to be producing anything that will work. Has anyone else found a bumper protector? There are generic ones on the market however they are not suitable due to the drop in the middle of the bumper. Love to hear if anyone else has heard anything or is looking as well?

thanks,
misterdp

Attachments

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Not sure that area was made to be stepped on.

Its similar on the 1st gen traverse.
Very small area.
I tried to stand on it once, and I was barely able to stay up because of the small area to put your foot on.
I also thought the area was kind of flimsy.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I would not use it to step on. Looks to me they are just there to protect the painted bumper from scratching when loading and unloading items.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I agree with both comments above. Definitely not an area to be stepped on. My desire is to protect the area when loading the cargo area - suitcases, small cooler, etc. As you are organizing things seem to have a tendency to brush across the area and scratch. We had a Saturn VUE before our Traverse with a guard as well as one on our Prius - neither of which promoted stepping on the area, but helped keep it looking good. The guards are typically a matte-black and thus not shiny and scratch prone like the current paint in the area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
...Love to hear if anyone else has heard anything or is looking as well?....
I've used the SunTek Ultra film which also has a top clear coat that has hydrophobic properties, unlike the 3M brands. It's pretty good and looks nice. But if you want to walk on it, this won't do it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd like to see something pretty sturdy (not a film) that would protect the bumper if something drags across it while putting something in or taking something out of the trunk area. It is too easy to chip, scratch, or gouge the bumper finish as it is now.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Want to step on something? Forget about the narrow bumper cover that can easily mark.

Bump step.....a combination step, rear bumper protector, and battering ram. Looks like crap with the closeout cover removed, but looks good with a cutout in the cover. Easy to make a template by wrapping a thin piece of cardboard around the shank of the bumper protector, tape it then insert into the receiver hitch projecting out about two inches, grease the edges or latex paint on cardboard and then mount the closeout, press and remove and it transfers a cutting outline to the back of the closeout.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello. I got this Bully Bump Step for my MY18 Traverse LT from Autozone for ~$50 bucks. I like it and it keeps folks from parking right on my bumper in parking lots, plus it lets me reach in to access stuff in the back & on top in the rear. I eye-balled the cutout and got pretty close. Also used a hitch-pin lock behind the cover to deter thieves from taking it for their own. No rattle or noise, works well for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Even if I have a protector it is definitly not enough to protect the top corner of the bumper. I keep a 2' by 4 ' carpet in the trunk all the time and when I need to unload or load some stuff I place the good soft side of the carpet over the bumper and voila! No scratching and rubbing. It is cheap to buy and do an excellent job for protection.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The carpet idea is great. Thanks Capucine!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts