Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently removing the rear calipers requires the electronic parking brake to be put in service mode using a scan tool.

Anyone on the forum successfully completed this procedure and what tool did you use? I have a run of the mill OBD reader that will not be useful for this.

I did see a YouTube vid of someone who did this manually but I'm not willing to risk screwing up the parking brake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case anyone is interested, I ended up purchasing this scan tool (pricey but effective): Autel MaxiCOM MK808

With this tool I was able to put the electronic parking brake (EPB) into service mode as well as re-calibrate once the pad and rotor replacement was completed.

The pads actually had tons of life left in them still, and the most even wear I have seen in any car I've owned - was impressed. It looked like some foreign material had gouged a groove into the inboard pad on the passenger side. Decided to replace it all anyway. Silent running once again :)

Reactions: Njtraverse

·
Registered
2019 High Country
125 Posts
I removed all the brake calipers when my 2019 was sparkling new, then removed the brake pads, painted the calipers and reinstalled. No issues, no special tools were required for my paint job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I removed all the brake calipers when my 2019 was sparkling new, then removed the brake pads, painted the calipers and reinstalled. No issues, no special tools were required for my paint job.
To clarify, yeah if you are not winding the calipers back like that there would be no need for putting the parking brake in service mode. For a brake job though, you usually do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have seen some U-Tube and 1-A Auto videos on this... apparently it CAN be done without the code scanner but it's a pain. The parking brake motor units have to be manually turned back and reset in a very specific way... but it's doable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts