Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving the Traverse this morning on the highway, I was running a bit late, and driving a bit faster than usual. I noticed a rattle in the front drivers side. It sounds like its by the lower windshield area. Anyone else have this? I HATE RATTLES!

When I slow down to about 100kph, it goes away. Any ideas would be great. Its not a loud rattle, just annoying rattling. Almost like wires are being blown by the wind and hitting plastic shroud or something.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
is it cold out there?
sometimes stuff will rattle when its cold... then goes away as temps increase...

I get a little rattle when its about 45 degrees in the morning.
Its only when its about 45 degrees. and soon goes away..
Its actually coming from what appears to be the gauges chrome surround....
I mean its only at about 45 degrees. I can touch it and it goes away.
Never does it at any other time/temp... and its such a light little rattle/vibration that its not going to make me dislike any part of the vehicle...
I figure that at that temp the part has shrunk just enough to make it do that

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it could very well be temp related. I just wouldn't want to go on a long trip with that noise continuing. Its just enough of a rattle to make it annoying! :)

I will investigate and report back....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Speaker grille on the A-pillar seems to be a source of a rattle as well. Not sure if this is where your particular rattle is coming from. You can confirm if it's the speaker grille by simply placing your finger onto it. I took a small piece of plastic from the lip of a coffee cup lid and wedged it into the area between the speaker grille and the a-pillar trim.

Hope you find your rattle.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've got this same rattle. Louder when cold, but it's 80 degrees now and still there on bumpy roads.

Glad someone located it to the A-Pillar. To me it sounds like a loose wire under the dash hitting right up against it. I'm sure that's not what it is, but it sounds like it.

If I get sick of it enough, I'll be into the A-Pillar. I'll be sure to take pictures if I do too. Unless someone beats me to it... :)

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad its not only me. I think my wife thinks I'm nuts sometimes. Its a faint rattle (wire hitting sound), but its annoying to me. I just like my ride to be nice and quiet :)

I will look into the A-pillar grille.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have 18,000 miles on my 09 and rattles are popping up all over. The back glass has one. The middle seat has one. Even the sunroof has one. Is this just GM quality coming out. I have never had a vehicle with so many rattles this early on but then again I never had a GM before.

·
Registered
80 Posts
wtyer said:
I have 18,000 miles on my 09 and rattles are popping up all over. The back glass has one. The middle seat has one. Even the sunroof has one. Is this just GM quality coming out. I have never had a vehicle with so many rattles this early on but then again I never had a GM before.
yup...great gm quality....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, on this morning's commute I tried to see if the rattle was from the A-Pillar. I doesn't seem like this is where it is at. The tiny speaker grill is loose, but it doesn't rattle. I still can only guess at this point, but there must be a wire flowing across the top under the dash and up the pillar that is not tied down well. I hate pulling dashes, but looks like I may have to in this case.

As far as "GM Quality", you guys need to get a clue. This is the 7th GM vehicle I've own, and the first one that ever has had this problem. With car building today, there simply is not enough room for high cost labor to keep little things like this from occurring. From any company. If they did build them like that, the cost of each car would be 50% to 100% higher! Basically, YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO! I've owned GMs, Hondas, Toyotas, Dodges, Mistubishis, and my family has owner another handful of makes. They ALL have issues. I stick with GM today because so far the issues have been fixable, and easily. Try fixing a rattle in a Toyota, you'll go nuts!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Narg said:
Try fixing a rattle in a Toyota, you'll go nuts!
Or the gas pedal ;D

My LTZ has a couple rattles, it drives me crazy but I try to pin point where they are coming from and stop them. Every car I have ever owned has rattled at some point.

Overall if an occasional rattle is the only problem I have from a car it is not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
you guys with lots of rattle out in the rustbelt?

where the roads are full of potholes- could this be aggravating the rattles to appear faster?

For us.
(side note 1- the cars weve owned- with the most rattles were Honda and a Suzuki)
(Side note 2- the cars that needed the most repairs by the time they were at 150,000- Honda and Suzuki).
(side note 3- the cars that needed to be towed after they stranded us on the highway- Honda and Suzuki).
(side note 4- the car with crappy paint after 150,000- Honda.)
(side note 5- car with the crappiest interior after 150,000- Honda).

the cars weve owned that have been daily drivers.
1989 susuki swift, 1996 saturn sl, 1998 Honda Civic, 2003 Trailblazer, 2007 Impala, 2010 Traverse...

All of the cars have gone 150,000. Thats when we usually get another car.
The Saturn and Trailblazer- Looked GREAT outside and inside. you couldnt tell they had 150K.
Ran and idled smooth. We actually still have the Trailblazer.
The Suzuki and Honda--- gave us more problems-
they still ran- but didnt hold up as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, my rattle is not in the A-pillar. At least not on the inside. I checked the speaker cover too, and although loose, not rattling. Its somewhere else. I don't think it has anything to do with the rust or potholes. I only have 520 km on my unit. Its fresh out of the box so to speak. No rust on mine yet! :)

I definitely has to do with wind/speed. I first noticed it at 120km/h. Then on a windier day at 100km/h. Today I noticed it at 80km/h when ever the wind would gust the right way. I will have to crawl under the beast this weekend.

Also, under the passanger side door, there is that trim (looking under that car) that is supposed to be filled with spray foam. I have one hole in the plastic that doesn't have any foam. I can stick my finger up in there and feel foam towards the front of the car, but if I put my finger towards the back, no foam. Isn't this supposed to be filled solid?

I can snap a pic tomorrow if I think of it, and get a chance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
rbarrios said:
The Saturn and Trailblazer- Looked GREAT outside and inside. you couldnt tell they had 150K.
This point kills me when I read reviews on GM cars compared to foreign makes. The reviewers seem to LOVE to bash GM over interior looks and materials. But like you, after many years and many miles the GMs still look brand new. My Sister has a 2000 Camry that is garage kept. It's dash and door started peeling up after only 5 years. Sure it looked good in the first year, but time really showed the true quality of that car. The 2000 Silverado I drove for 10 years still looked as good as new inside, and it was not garage kept. After 10 years of sun and weather the dash and doors were color rich and solid in that truck.

While not particularly shiny, I'll take the GM interior any day over the flashy Japanese interior that won't last very long at all.

Examples like this just make me laugh at the "quality" commercials by Japanese auto makers.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
yes. please take a pic--
I can take a pic too... I think I know which hole your talking about....

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
ill take a pic of mine tomm morning.
Im pretty sure mine has one where the foam expanded a little too much and actually came out some...

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I have some where the foam is coming out. I was just wondering about the ones that don't have foam coming out of them. Still haven't found my rattle! Grr... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Appears the answer is no.
some are overfilling with foam- some are empty...
I wonder if the engineers know where to place foam to dampen sounds before they can travel along....

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quantum,

Were you ever able to identify and resolve this rattle issue? If so could you please share what was found and fixed? My wife has a 2010 Traverse LT and is having the exact issue you described here and it's driving her crazy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts