Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Traverse. 357,000 miles (90% open highway). It has started using oil but there is no change in exhaust or performance.

I have noticed that when I remove the oil filler cap, the oil filler tube also comes out sometimes. I am worried that the oil filler tube is not fitting tightly and maybe oil is seeping up through the tube and leaking under pressure.

I have noticed that the oil filler cap can be difficult to open when the engine is hot --- I figure maybe the plastic expands.

I am going to experiment with only opening the filler cap when cold, and also applying oil to the screw threads on the cap to keep the oil tube in place. I will monitor the oil usage and see if this makes any difference.

Does anyone have additional suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Here's a pic of my 2017 Oil Fill cap as installed. The cap is actually ABOVE the plastic "engine appearance cover."

If you remove the fill cap, and then remove the Engine Appearance Cover (just pull it up hard and off - it's got 4 or 6 push-type connectors underneath)

You'll see it has what they call a Valve Cover Grommet. It's easy to see in this GMPartsDirect pic (item #2):

Engine Appearance Cover for 2017 Chevrolet Traverse | GMPartsDirect.com

Here's a pic of mine. It's very similar to strain relief grommet on an electrical appliance, except a much larger diameter and a harder plastic. But mine is "loose" in the hole - you can rotate it and slide around in the hole. You just can't get it out without doing some work.

While I can rotate my fill tube a few degrees each way, it did not want to come out easily.

But I think the grommet should be preventing the tube from coming up through the engine cover., as the grommets inside diameter appears to be smaller than the tube diameter. I would suggest you check to see if your grommet is missing.

PS: The oil filler cap on both my 2011 and my 2016 is always difficult to turn.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Congratulations on 357,000 miles.
Though, it is not surprising that you are burning oil. These engines- will burn oil. Not IF, but when.
Yours took a while. But little by little they begin to burn a little. Im at 161,000 and I believe I started to use oil around 105,000.
At the moment, Im at roughly 0.5 qt per 1000 miles.
Its most likely carbon that flakes off- and ends up in the cylinder and lightly scores the piston wall.

My oil fill cap- is also a little difficult sometimes.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
429 Posts
Oil caps on my fleet are all harder to turn when hot. You are right on the expansion of them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2011 Traverse. 357,000 miles (90% open highway). It has started using oil but there is no change in exhaust or performance.

I have noticed that when I remove the oil filler cap, the oil filler tube also comes out sometimes. I am worried that the oil filler tube is not fitting tightly and maybe oil is seeping up through the tube and leaking under pressure.

I have noticed that the oil filler cap can be difficult to open when the engine is hot --- I figure maybe the plastic expands.

I am going to experiment with only opening the filler cap when cold, and also applying oil to the screw threads on the cap to keep the oil tube in place. I will monitor the oil usage and see if this makes any difference.

Does anyone have additional suggestions? Thanks!
I think you are correct with the expansion, and the cap expands faster than the tube. When I check the oil, I do it in the morning. I also coat it with a little petroleum jelly before I put it back in and it seems to help. My 5.3 GMC is tight when warm also. But ****, lets talk about the mileage!! That's the highest mileage I have seen in a 2011, and I've seen several and most of them have blown by 100K, mainly because people don't check the oil and let it run low. So excellent job on taking care of it. You sound like a person that checks the oil often and doesn't rely on gauges. The 3.6 is not an engine that you can ignore the oil level on, and people should never, ever rely on gauges on any car. Physically check the oil often.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you are correct with the expansion, and the cap expands faster than the tube. When I check the oil, I do it in the morning. I also coat it with a little petroleum jelly before I put it back in and it seems to help. My 5.3 GMC is tight when warm also. But ****, lets talk about the mileage!! That's the highest mileage I have seen in a 2011, and I've seen several and most of them have blown by 100K, mainly because people don't check the oil and let it run low. So excellent job on taking care of it. You sound like a person that checks the oil often and doesn't rely on gauges. The 3.6 is not an engine that you can ignore the oil level on, and people should never, ever rely on gauges on any car. Physically check the oil often.
I just coat it with motor oil before I put it back trying to stop the rubber ring from damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the responses!

The mileage is a bit deceptive as my job has me on the road quite a bit and I have calculated that roughly 90% of those 357K miles are on interstate highways with cruise control.

I check the oil 2 to 3 times a week. Like oldbiker1, I check it in the morning after the vehicle has sat all night and is completely cold. If I check it within 20 or 30 minutes of driving, I get a totally false reading on the dipstick. It has never missed a single oil change, and I use the oil life indicator instead of miles between changes.

This Traverse has had minor mechanical problems but nothing major other than I changed out the timing chain appx 180,000. Changed the alternator at about 250,000.

I don't know if I will make it to 400,000 miles, but I'm giving it a good try!

Again, thank you for the responses and if anyone else has suggestions or comments I would appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts