Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Traverse LS and installed a hitch receiver and wiring when I brought it. Unfortunately, the towing limit is 1500 lbs. Is it worth installing a transmission oil cooler?
Thanks

· Registered
2015 2LT AWD / 2023 True North AWD
342 Posts
Would it helps to cool the transmission with a transmission cooler to make it lives longer? Most of my vehicles have full towing package but only one was used to tow a boat (about 2k lbs). No vehicle ever suffers transmission problem but one developed a torque converter problem ended up to a charity organization because the frame rusted out even I was willing to fork out $4K to fix it.

· Registered
4,256 Posts
If you pull more than 1500 lbs, and they can "prove" you did, without the tow package from the factory they won't warrant it, whether you've got an oil cooler installed or not.

But since you've got a 2020, I'm guessing it's probably just about out of warranty anyway, so I'd go for it.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
How difficult is it to do a radiator job on the 2nd gen?

I changed the radiator in my 2010 when it got a micro crack.
It was not a difficult job.
So, could you buy the HD radiator and put that in vs a trans cooler?

Just thinking out loud.
I do see that the 2nd gens HD radiators fluid capacity is a little more than standard rad capacity.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
For others.
If you can when you buy an suv, get one with the tow package. Even if you dont tow. I dont tow.
I just ordered a 2023 and made sure tow package was on it. $650
, but i do use a bike rack and hitch cargo rack with led lamps.
Did the same with 03 trailblazer and 2010 traverse.
The extra cooling is a plus.
Vs
Buying a hitch, install, wiring if needed, etc, cooling issues.

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
V92 tow package is standard on a Premier or High Country.

· Registered
2023 Traverse Premier
5 Posts
I have a 2023 Premier and the only difference in coolant capacity is 15.4 Qt without the Towing package and 15.5 Qt with it. There has to be more to the towing package than a .1 increase in coolant, Is there an external transmission cooler that is also included?

· Registered
4,256 Posts
I have a 2023 Premier and the only difference in coolant capacity is 15.4 Qt without the Towing package and 15.5 Qt with it. There has to be more to the towing package than a .1 increase in coolant, Is there an external transmission cooler that is also included?
There's an oil cooler built into the regular radiator. HD radiator is simply a bit "thicker" than the regular one, so a little bit more coolant volume (and I'd expect a little bit more oil volume) as well as a little more surface area to remove the heat.

There are also 2 different fan assy's, one for regular, one for tow package. But it's unknown what the differences are. The look the same on the parts sites; it possible the only difference may be mounting requirements. But so far no one has splurged for the fans and come back to report what was different.

There's also the Drive Mode switch that changes the transmission shift points.

· Registered
2023 Traverse Premier
5 Posts
There's an oil cooler built into the regular radiator. HD radiator is simply a bit "thicker" than the regular one, so a little bit more coolant volume (and I'd expect a little bit more oil volume) as well as a little more surface area to remove the heat.

There are also 2 different fan assy's, one for regular, one for tow package. But it's unknown what the differences are. The look the same on the parts sites; it possible the only difference may be mounting requirements. But so far no one has splurged for the fans and come back to report what was different.

There's also the Drive Mode switch that changes the transmission shift points.
I would expect to find an external transmission cooler as part of a "Towing Package." The in radiator trans coolers are no where near as effective at cooling down fluid as it's in a 200+ Deg enviroment vs 100 Deg air. The different fan assembly might help but I think the reprograming when you select the "Tow/Haul" mode is the biggest help. I will take a look when I can to see if there is an external cooler. Thanks for the information.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
On the 1st gen, a member did the swap of radiators from regular to hd, he said that he could see that the HD rad, had more horizontal rows and more vertical fins.
Hope im remembering correctly.

· Registered
4,256 Posts
I would expect to find an external transmission cooler as part of a "Towing Package." The in radiator trans coolers are no where near as effective at cooling down fluid as it's in a 200+ Deg enviroment vs 100 Deg air. The different fan assembly might help but I think the reprograming when you select the "Tow/Haul" mode is the biggest help. I will take a look when I can to see if there is an external cooler. Thanks for the information.
If you are interested in adding the tow package, PM me your email address and will send you lots of info, including oil cooler info.

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Traverse is a light duty tow vehicle. Don't expect to see what you would see on a heavier duty vehicle tow package wise like a pickup truck. It doesn't have anywhere near the capacity of a 1/2 ton pickup.

Reactions: snobrdrdan
1 - 15 of 15 Posts