Traverse Forum banner

Protection Plan

9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  lewisra 
#1 ·
What dose eveyone think about the GM Protection Plan or any Plan.They want $1856.00 for 5 years/100,000 miles.Is there a better plan out there.Is this worth it or is better to pay as you go.The cars are suppose to better made.What do you all think. :banghead:

#4 ·
:) I made the mistake if buying an aftermarket plan on a vehicle years ago and shortly after found out why it was cheaper. The transmission started slipping in my Avalanche after sitting the shop 3 days for an adjuster to come out they only wanted to do some of the repairs after the third time getting it repaired I just sold it. The icing on the cake is when I sold it I cashed out the warrantee and guess what they deducted the price of the repairs from the cash out so I didn’t get any thing back. Was not such a great deal after all. But the GM one all repairs done as soon as I take it in no questions.

8) Steve

#5 ·
We bought the plan, it was somewhere around that same price, we rolled it into the payment. I had a 2005 jeep that right after the 3yr/36,000 warranty was up it started to fall apart! I am anal about my car, I know I will want a knob changed, or a squeek will start up and I will want to take it in.

I don't think one way or the other is better, it is a personal opinion.

#7 ·
Dale said:
What dose eveyone think about the GM Protection Plan or any Plan.They want $1856.00 for 5 years/100,000 miles.Is there a better plan out there.Is this worth it or is better to pay as you go.The cars are suppose to better made.What do you all think. :banghead:
$1410 for zero deductable at gmoutlet.com
Like rbarrios said wait until 11,999 mile or 11.999 months and you can get it extended from that point forward. total 71.999 months or 111,999 miles.

#8 ·
IT was just not worth it for me. I can fix almost anything on cars yes even one with all the computer crap on them so I would never get my money out of it.

Plus from what I read GM stripped allot more out of the extended warranty. The also stripped allot more parts from the power train warranty's too. AKA cost cutting..

#9 ·
Plus from what I read GM stripped allot more out of the extended warranty

Having just purchased a 2010 Traverse, I checked into the GMPP which is something we have always purchased on previous new GM cars. Looking at the coverage that the Major Guard offers, I did not notice anything changed on it compared to the 2004 policy or the 1999 policy we previously had.

I would also suggest you purchase the longest/most miles you can if you are planning on keeping the car more than the 36/36000 bumper to bumper coverage. Even if you sell the car, I have always been able to sell for more because the policy can be transfered for ($50.00? or $100.00?) to the new owner. It's great to sell a car with 80 or 90 thousand miles and still have a warranty available.

We have always bought the 72/100000 mile with 0 deductible, and have never lost money on the deal. Now that my wife does not drive near as much, we will be buying the 84/84000 with 0 deductible. There is a Chevrolet dealer in Wyoming I believe that has fantastic prices, and knows the policies inside out. I have his name and number, and will be buying from him in the 11th month or 11000 mile range. I already spoke to him, and the warranty will start at the time I buy it.

#10 ·
okay I need this cleared up. I want to make sure I understand what is being said here. Do i understand right that if you by the extended warranty at 11000 miles and you buy say the 7yr/100,000 plan you are covered until either 7 years or 111,000 or are you just covered until 7yr/100,000? thanks to all

#12 ·
OK there are two answer .One goes back to zero when you buy the plain.And one says it extends to71.999 and 111.999 miles.What is the right answer.

#13 ·
OK there are two answer .One goes back to zero when you buy the plain.And one says it extends to71.999 and 111.999 miles.What is the right answer

I spoke to Dennis Fichtner at Fichtner Chevrolet, phone 406-628-4618. He is a member of a Corvette forum on line, and sells the GMPP warranties through the family Chevrolet store. When I told him I had a new Traverse and wanted a warranty, he said he would not sell me one until either 11 months or 11XXX miles, because the warranty would start AT THE TIME OF WARRANTY PURCHASE!

This would in fact add 11 months or 11XXX to the in service date of the vehicle. I am therefore waiting until next year to purchase my GMPP from him. He has sold hundreds of warranties online, and is very pleasant to talk with. The only thing I will have to do is send a picture of the odometer showing the current mileage when I make the purchase.

This is completely opposite of what I was always told by other dealers, who insisted that regardless of when I were to buy, it would revert back to, and start from, the original vehicle in service (delivery) date.

I feel confident that Dennis knows what he is talking about, and there are many posts on other forums from those who purchased from him and it is exactly what he said it would be.

#15 ·
ouch. does anyone know if it is the same in the great white north (Canada)? secondly then has anyone checked to see if it cost more to buy it on the 11th hour then at the time of purchase.....maybe they offset in other words does it cost say $750 more to buy the same additional coverage later (11th hour) than at time of purchase when the miliage is zero or close there to? if not I am pissed at my sales man and I will be ripping a strip into him....I might anyways.

#16 ·
From what I was told, the prices really stay the same, with the exception that there is an annual price increase from GM every October. Don't forget, the dealer can set his price wherever he wants to. Just like the MSRP on a vehicle, negotiations are possible, and the dealers actual cost is different than the listed prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.