Traverse Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I rather keep it reasonably clean so that I don't have to risk working on it in the winter time. The temperature here can go down to -35C (-31F) and it is not possible to work on the vehicle because my garage is packed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Then there is always the Reduced Power Mode, you punch down on the accelerator and you can't get 20 MPH out of her.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm on the @AlisoBob side with this one... I've never cleaned a throttle body and likely won't until I have a code that necessitates it. I try not to fix things that aren't broken, that's where I file this.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My 2008 got dirty from all the crud from the Milkshake and didn't always perform as it should, Mine even froze with the moisture in sub zero weather.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My 2008 got dirty from all the crud from the Milkshake and didn't always perform as it should, Mine even froze with the moisture in sub zero weather.
All good reasons to clean it. So far I've checked mine 3 or 4 times in 2 years and it's never been an issue. I seem to be lucky as I don't burn much oil over the entire oil change interval (I take the percent to zero). But my transmission does some really clunky, unrefined and quite stupid things at times so I'm just praying that doesn't become an issue for me.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
What was the code? As far as I know there isn't one for "My T/B is dirty"
Didn't have a code reader. Just got the CEL, cleaned the TB, it went away, never came back. Lots of similar posts here. Supposedly oil and stuff gets into the TB, makes it hard to move, especially in cold temps. I can't explain it; I can only tell you my experience.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm on the @AlisoBob side with this one... I've never cleaned a throttle body and likely won't until I have a code that necessitates it.
IF it ever needs cleaning, it should be removed to do the job correctly. Just blasting it with cleaner and letting any muck run downstream is taking a mulligan .....

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just checked my old posts from 2015 when I was having my Throttle Body/ Stabilitrack/Reduced Power , I had a P1516 when it was not moving correctly.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes I lived through the Winter from H**L. The polar Vortex hit and I had Moisture Galore in the Air Intake system. News Years Eve I was doing 65 one minute and the next I couldn't get 20 MPH out of her. Ten minutes on the shoulder, started it up and went on our merry way without further incident. My PVC system was clogged, the Throttle Froze on me several times. Then, We found out about the Mod to drill out the PVC Barb and it was pretty much smooth sailing after that. GMs fix was to have the dealer install a new Intake Manifold Cover with an updated gasket with bigger orifices and Modified Barb with bigger orifices. Cost about $900. They wouldn't sell just the barb for $10, That has to be ordered aftermarket.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
yes, I have a FWD.
Many users report the issue of cold temps. Driving along and suddenly reduced engine power or similar.
Its snowing, its late at night- and the vehicle is now on the side of the road.
Pulling over and restarting usually does not help right away. So they call tow truck.
X hours later- or however long a tow truck takes to get there, the tow truck guy starts the car- and it works fine.
So what happened?
Most likely scenario is the throttle plate froze. Usually they find lots of oily milkshake.
So its frozen over. It wont work properly as its frozen.
While the vehicle waits for tow truck, engine heat slowly melts the ice. The vehicle works fine for the tow truck man.

Reactions: cintocrunch
21 - 33 of 33 Posts