Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Traverse.
The controls for the passenger front window work intermittently. Usually, the passenger door switch will work, but not always. The driver side switch seldom works to open the window but will almost always close it. I can always open it from the passenger side and most often it will close it also.
Any ideas what might be wrong or how to fix it?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Two possible issues, although I don't recall seeing either of these issues on the newer Gen 1's:

1. Water in the connector in the drivers door. Open the door and look for the large bundle of wiring/connector that connects the door to the car. Lots of folks found water got in and caused issues. Clean and dry and apply dielectric grease.

Some pics of the connector here:

2. Dirty contacts on the master window (drivers side) switch. See Post #3 here for how to clean them:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've pulled the master window switch out of our 2012 LS two or three times to clean the contacts and restore function to one of the windows. It doesn't take much to gum up the works in these small switches and lots of stuff finds its way into the inner workings of that master switch assembly. Additionally, you'll be surprised how much water does collect in those "door" wire bundles and will lead to no end of weird electrical issues. I sealed mine up with siilcone and have no issues since.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how do you remove door panel/arm rest to get at the switch? I tried removing the screws that hold the arm rest but could not get any farther.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look on you tube. Videos on removing.
Not many and not very good. The most common one tells you to snap off the cover from the armrest. As many have reported, that actually breaks the plastic studs. I spite of that I did in fact snap it off, but fortunately, it lays back in the armrest cavity snugly and can be glued or cemented back into place. Apparently, there are several different assemblies for this in the range of 2009 through 2017.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts