Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to cut power to the front cigarette lighter when the ignition is off? My daughter uses this power socket for her ipod charger but it is always powered on, this may be a common GM thing as my previous car, a Yukon was the same, my company car Mazda switches power to the cig lighter off when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Want to clarify that it is a power port and not for inserting a cigarette lighter. Doing so can cause a short.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I don't have an ipod, but is there any reason that the power can't stay on?? Are you worried about draining the battery?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just get something like this and switch it off when you leave the car. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
marjamr said:
Just get something like this and switch it off when you leave the car. :thumb:
That would blend in perfect in the Traverse! :p

My jeep has two in the front, one stays on all the time the other cuts power when the car is off. If your daugher uses that for her ipod I assume the charger is plugged in all the time but the ipod is not always connected (obviously). I would see no issue with leaving the charger in if it is not charging anything. I know it still uses power, but nothing that I would think effects the car. My opinion anyway.

I once had a radar dector that stayed plugged in all the time and the car didnt cut power when off. That bothered me, but more so because I didnt want the radar on for no reason and going off when no one was in the car....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a similar switched outlet I got at Radio Shack to run my GPS, radar detector, and phone charger. Too bad they didn't give us an option for auto-off on that outlet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) If charging an IPOD is killing your battery you either leave the Traverse parker for weeks at a time or you battery is toast. I leave my IPOD in my truck 24/7 and have never had any problem.

8) Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you use the power outlet behind the front console, it powers off when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I use mine behind the console (by the rear pass controls)...
and when I shut off-- my satellite radio stays on....
though I dont know if it shuts off after 10 min...
I have not stuck around to find out--- but the satellite radio turns off after 59 min anyways....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts