Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things happened in the last couple days. First, the wife took the Traverse out to go shopping. When returning, she inserted the key in the ignition and it would not turn. She says she took the key out and reinserted it 20 times before it would turn, anyone else have this happen? And second, we went out for dinner tonight and the drive was about 30mins. I looked at the gauges and noticed that the volts gauge was down from normal. The volt gauge usually reads steady at the 14 mark, but today it dropped the line below 14. On the way home it was back at 14 and held like it always does, why would it change?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Volt gauge behavior is normal. I thought the same thing you did the first time I noticed it drop below 14. The charging system shuts down to supposedly help with fuel mileage.

I can't help you with the key problem, unless the front wheels weren't straight when the car was shut off. If the steering wheel was in a forcibly locked position, it may require the driver to turn (force) the wheel in the direction the front wheels might be turned. That's the only thing I can think of.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
willie4 said:
Two things happened in the last couple days. First, the wife took the Traverse out to go shopping. When returning, she inserted the key in the ignition and it would not turn. She says she took the key out and reinserted it 20 times before it would turn, anyone else have this happen? And second, we went out for dinner tonight and the drive was about 30mins. I looked at the gauges and noticed that the volts gauge was down from normal. The volt gauge usually reads steady at the 14 mark, but today it dropped the line below 14. On the way home it was back at 14 and held like it always does, why would it change?
The steering wheel thing happend to me. Just turn the steering wheel slightly and it will start. It happens about once a month or so. No big deal.

The gauge is normal.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My key would not turn once, freaked me out. Turns out my wheels were locked? Had to forcefully turn the wheel and then turn the key and it unlocked the wheels. If your wheels were turned all the way in one direction then that was it, if not well I dont know!

If that was the case your wife made a sharp turn into a parking spot, which tells me it was a tight fit! Make sure she straightens out the wheel before shutting off the car.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
yes. theres a section in your manual that talks about the movement of the volt gauge.
the computer does control the alternators output to save fuel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts