Traverse Forum banner

Would you buy another Traverse?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well, the Lambda is going away at the end of the Traverse's lifespan, so I believe either '16 or more likely '17 is the last model year. Reportedly the Traverse and Enclave will remain the same size, while the Acadia will downsize and share the chassis with the new '17 SRX. So I assume the Acadia will be all new for '17, not sure if the Enclave/Traverse will bow at the same time or a year later. Enclave is way long in the tooth now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I voted "maybe."

I'm not in love with my 2011 LT2, but it's doing OK. The only non-maintenance item that has come up is the failed actuator in the AC system, so I don't have defrost. We have not yet fixed it since "our" mechanic at the dealer is on vacation and he asked that we hold off until he gets back. We don't need the defroster often here in Colombia, so it's not a big deal.

For me, the biggest thing keeping me loyal is our dealer (Autolarte). They've done a good job every time I've taken the car in, always explain what they have done and provide the bad parts they replaced. Labor here is so cheap that there is no point in my doing anything DIY.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
coolcoil said:
I voted "maybe."

I'm not in love with my 2011 LT2, but it's doing OK. The only non-maintenance item that has come up is the failed actuator in the AC system, so I don't have defrost. We have not yet fixed it since "our" mechanic at the dealer is on vacation and he asked that we hold off until he gets back. We don't need the defroster often here in Colombia, so it's not a big deal.

For me, the biggest thing keeping me loyal is our dealer (Autolarte). They've done a good job every time I've taken the car in, always explain what they have done and provide the bad parts they replaced. Labor here is so cheap that there is no point in my doing anything DIY.
Hello Coolcoil,

We are saddened by this! We always want our customers to love their vehicle, but we are happy that you have a great dealership to look into your vehicle concerns further for you. However, if you ever need any additional assistance, feel free to send us a private message. We do appreciate your feedback and are always happy to help the best way possible.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am not going to buy another one because the kids will be older and wont need a suv. Wife wants a car. BUT not trading it off either. We are keeping it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
We have a 2010 built in November 2009, no timing chain issues (yet) at 78K. We used Mobil 1 for the first 30K miles, but switched to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. We're still on the factory brake pads, but the fronts may need swapped out soon. Extended BTB warranty for another 10K miles.

The bad:

Transmission reprogrammed twice in first 36K miles,
Steering rack replaced twice within 36K miles (and about 10K miles apart),
Water pump replaced under service bulletin,
CD/DVD player replaced at 35K (may need it again...),
Climate control unit replaced at 35K (power button/temp buttons peeling, doing it again...),
Bose amp needed replaced in the last 6 months ($100 warranty deductible paid at time of service),
Middle row and third row seat belt shoulder "guides" have broken a few times,
It sounds like the rear lift gate struts may be replaced under an upcoming service bulletin.

The good:

The price of our AWD LTZ was thousands less than equally equipped Acadia/Enclave models and IMHO is a better looking vehicle (outside of maybe the back end...),

We've NEVER been stranded in this vehicle whether in town or on extended freeway trips,

Even on the factory 20" Bridgestones, our AWD has gotten us everywhere we needed to go safely. We've driven through a couple of blizzards (roads were closing behind us),

More cargo room than a Tahoe and we need it for weekend baseball tournaments in the summer,

The only out-of-pocket repair was the Bose amplifier,

It's not a minivan!!

If we hadn't just paid ours off, I would seriously consider buying a 2015. No vehicle is "trouble-free" and the Traverse certainly has it's share of issues and detractors. Still, ours has served us well, GM and the dealer have stood behind ours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been a loyal Chevy customer for decades. I have a Traverse that seems to be self destructing. Chevy's vehicle lineup doesn't appeal to me very much. The cars are undesirable with the exception of the Impala, but it does not offer AWD so it is out of the running. Switching to SUV's, the Equinox is too light/generic and the Tahoe/Suburban are too much (I've owned 3 in the past). This leaves the Traverse. Considering all the frustration I have experienced and my loss of faith in Chevy/GM, buying another Traverse would seem to be some sort of insanity (doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome).

What do the rest of you think?
16 thousand miles and getting better..frozen ac..super hot heat..smooth ride.. lots of room and great handeling

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'd strongly consider a 2nd gen if we needed to get a new vehicle. Our '14 has done very well for us from 80k (when we bought it) to 120k in the last 3 years. No rattles, all of the switches work nicely, it generally is aging well. The thing is, I think we want to have a Suburban/Yukon XL to supplement my wife's Pilot, so we will likely stick with GM but probably not the Traverse. I'd have my wife look at one to replace the Pilot when the time comes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We bought the Traverse in 2018 as it had a lot more usable cargo space than the Tahoe and the Silverado. The only vehicle that came close in terms of load capacity was the 2018 Subaru Outback SUV. We wanted to be able to put two bicycles in the back and leave the wheels on the bikes.

Making it so SUV's could handle 8 or 9 passengers with 3 rows of seats has made them far less capable as SUV's to carry large items and they are more like a mini van than a SUV.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts